Best gaiter? Kenetrek Vs. Peax Gaiters

idcuda

WKR
Isn't there like a nickel sized piece at the bottom?
Is the top webbing strap to cinch 3/4" or 1/2" wide?
Are they breathable?
Yeah, I suppose they're breathable. Haven't had wet legs like the OP.

Not sure about the other stuff. I think people might be getting into the weeds on gaiter specs. I've had three different brands and they were all the same - waterproof, breathable, and last a long time. I like Hillsound because they don't have Velcro. Other than that, they're gaiters.

I tend to see a lot of hate on the kenetrek gaiters but they have always been one of my favourites, but now I do buy the kuiu Yukon gaiters and they seem great, mine are near the end of there lives after 6 years or so. I’m a sucker for new things so I bought the kuiu Kutana for early season and mountain hunts but for my heavy gaiters I’m gonna try the T & K gaiters in the tall version.

Well after a relatively short but successful bear hunt in SW Montana I had the opportunity to put the Peax Gaiters to the test for a long 3 day back country trip. The gaiters saw several creek crossings, minor rain, a few snow fields and lots of hiking. They performed very well and kept both my feet and legs dry from the water crossings, snow and rain. However, my biggest complaint is the lack of breathability. After a creek crossing I had about a 2 mile hike up a mountain with about 1200 feet elevation change. Temps were in the mid 40’s so not hot nor cold. About half way up I simply had to take them off because my legs felt like they were in a sauna. I removed the gaiters and my pants were soaked and visibly saturated with sweat. No Bueno. I’m not even a sweater… so on the pack they went and I just put them back on when needed for creek crossings or really wet conditions. I was certainly hoping for better breathability but such is the cost for that type of gaiter. Now the search continues! I’m curious if guys using the Kuiu haters have similar experiences with breathability?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah my legs sweat in the kuiu gaiters!

strongarm

FNG
@danmayland
I can’t speak to the tall Kennetrek gaiters personally, but several hunting buddies have them. The older ones seem more durable compared to the newer ones. I can speak to the low Kennetreks, which I own and wear for hiking. They are nice and low profile keeping debris out of your boots. They also breathe well, but again they are low and not appropriate for creek crossings, just for hiking. My major complaint about the low is their sizing…they are very snug on me wearing a lighter hiking boot. I can’t even get them around my 400 gram Kennetrek boots. I do have a large frame and “shapely” legs. My calves aren’t an issue on the lows they way they all for tall gaiters, but again I can just get them closed over Lowa Renegades, and barely get them closed over a pair of stout Meindl’s.

I have shredded numerous other gaiters over the years, including hardware, so did just get the T&K knee high gaiters. They are built extra strong and will get put to the test this fall in the high country. I suspect based on what you describe they may not be what you prefer, however, as they are 1000D Cordura and lined with pack cloth. They aren’t really cut anatomically (meaning shaped) they way hiking-type gaiters are. You snug them to your legs via the Velcro in the rear. I chose them for durability, which again is untested as of this writing.

I have looked at the OR Crocodiles over the years and they seem to be a good balance between lightweight hiking gaiters and durable gaiters. I also almost bought the top end Sea to Summit ones, which looked decent when seen in a local outdoor shop, but I definitely worried about them taking the abuse they get when I hunt in brush on approaches, rocks when up high, and especially when in blowdown-laden dark timber. That’s why I went with the T&K, though again I’ve not put them to the test yet.

I’ve had both OR lows and Black Diamond lows. Great for hiking, but hunting in rough terrain abused them, including the hardware. I recommend any where you can replace the straps, but so many on the market have one end sewn in. I still have a pair of LLBean Gore Tex hiking gaiters that are probably 25 years old with Cordura around the bottom and Gore Tex XCR behind ripstop nylon uppers throughout that I wear when winter backpacking. They still function great from a waterproof standpoint. The Cordura has become “fuzzy” over time, allowing snow and ice to build up over the day, which is an annoyance. But I’d buy another pair if they still made them. I bet Outdoor Research or Sea to Summit may be good ones for you to check out.

gaswamp

FNG
great thread...after a recent elk hunt in colorado in very cold temps my Kenetrek gaitors gave up. The snap button on one of them broke. So I will be looking at some other recommendations