Best Gear...... what is yours??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Ok, so with all the gear everyone has tested and used throughout the years I’d like to see what everyone has concluded as being their “best” gear. You only get ONE answer per topic and a short one liner of why you think so.

1. Pack
  2. Shelter
  3. Sleeping Pad
  4. Boots
  5. Cooking Device
  6. Optic
I’m thinking there is going to be a ton of redundant answers but every once in a while someone has a curve ball answer that might get people interested in taking a look at different gear.

I will start

1. Pack- Kifaru Bikini Frame and Dt2 = it’s a Kifaru, need I say more
  2. Shelter – Kifaru Paratarp = Light, versatile and great with just a bivy
  3. Pad – Exped UL7 = Light , durable and comfy
  4. Boots – Asolo Sasslong = They fit well and have held up great for 2 seasons
  5. Cooking – MSR Pocket Rocket = Its my old faithful for cooking. Never had had one issue and its light as sin
  6. Optic – Meopta Meostar HD binos = Currently don’t own but looked thru Arons yesterday and beyond great glass! Owning soon!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pack- Kifrau T3
Shelter-Supertarp
Sleeping Pad- Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad
Bag- Montbell 0
Boots-Meindl Perfekt Hikers
Cooking-Snow Peak Giga Stove
Optic- Leica Geovids

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
Stone Glacier Terminus
Hilleberg Nallo 3GT(used without inner tent if weight is concern)
Thermarest Neo Air XTherm
Lowa Sheep Hunters
Soto Micro Regulator Stove
Swarovski EL's

Pack, Eberlestock Bluewidow, I know most of you guys dont like eberlestock but its been an excelent pack for me.I have a pretty short torso so it works for me.

Tent, Eurkea Mountain Pass 2 ,Its been a decent tent but it weighs 4 pounds so Im going to build me a tarp tent this summer.

Pad, Its a Thermarest but i dont remember the model.

Boots, Asolos

Cooking device, Snow Peak

Binos, Vortex Vipers 8x42s,I have been pretty happy with these but Hope to upgrade these sometime this year to Meopta Meostars

Sometimes i cant buy what i would really like to have so i try and do my research and buy the best i can for the money i have to spend. Some wont agree with my choices but most of the stuff i use works for me.

Steve

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pack, Eberlestock Bluewidow, I know most of you guys dont like eberlestock but its been an excelent pack for me.I have a pretty short torso so it works for me.

Tent, Eurkea Mountain Pass 2 ,Its been a decent tent but it weighs 4 pounds so Im going to build me a tarp tent this summer.

Boots, Asolos

Binos, Vortex Vipers 8x42s,I have been pretty happy with these but Hope to upgrade these sometime this year to Meopta Meostars

Sometimes i cant buy what i would really like to have so i try and do my research and buy the best i can for the money i have to spend. Some wont agree with my choices but most of the stuff i use works for me.

Steve

Steve, this isn't a dick measuring contest. If it works for you, that's all that counts brother.

Pack- I'm hoping my new bikini/highcamp will be the ticket when it arrives next month.

Tent- golite sl3

Pad-exped ul7, I picked up a neoair shorty a few months back and I also really like it.

Boots- la sportive glacier evos. I've worn them for the last 5-6 years, I'm sure there are lighter more comfortable however I haven't found a reason to look any farther than these;)

Stove- soto od1r. Simply awesome little guy.

Binos- swaro 15s. I'm not kidding, these guys have changed the way I glass. Binos on a tripod are life changing... My 10x's stabilized were a gateway glass.

I'm also going to include knife- javalon piranha. I few years ago I was skeptical of these. Now I can't find a use for my old hunting knives. The blades are super sharp, last a long time, and super light. It sure does beat carrying a heavier knife and a knife sharpener.

Reactions: XLR

CaseyU

WKR
Pack. Timberline1
Tent. Appytrails 5
Pad. Thermorest something.(heavy but oh so comfy)
Bag. Old camp 7.this thing is awesome
Stove. Optimus crux
Glass. Kowa 602 And some old leupold 8x40 i cant seem to get rid of :)

7mag.

WKR
While I don't have as much experience as most of you guys, and a lot of my gear has only been used for one season, I'll throw my opinion out there.

Pack- Mystery Ranch BDSB. I bought it used last spring off a member here, and have used it a lot. I love it.

Tent- Golite SL3. I only have one season with it, but I am very pleased. I plan on buying the SL5 this year as well.

Pad- BA Insulated Air Core. I've been using closed cell foam pads for the last 20 plus years, so this pad is great for me.

Boots- Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. These are 4 years old and still working great. Best boots I've ever owned. The heel box is a little big for me, but, I compensate by lacing differently.

Stove- Brunton Raptor. Very small, very light. This is the first ultra light stove I ever bought, and 7 years in, it's still going strong.

Optics- Swarovski 20-60x80 HD spotter. This piece of gear is easily the most life changing item in terms of hunting. It has completely changed the way I hunt, and I see tons more animals.

6t4nova

WKR
Pack - bikini duplex and high camp 7000
Shelter - megatarp
Sleeping Pad - therma rest neo air
Boots - salewa ravin combi gtx
Cooking Device - snow peak giga
Optic - vortex viper hd 10x42's

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like it. It's a nice tent. There are a few things I don't like about it. This year I'm going to ditch the center pole and run with trekking poles tied together. It's a good size for 2 folks with all their gear.

vcb

WKR
Well this is what I'm currently using for backcountry
Pack-badlands
shelter- big Agnes seed house 1
bag- marmot helium
boots-asolo's
cooking-jet oil
optics-swarovskis 10x42

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Mine:

Pack-Kifaru T1
Shelter- Hilleberg ATKO
Bag- Eureka Casper
Boots _ Lowa Tibets
Cooking - MSR Pocket Rocket
Optics - Vortex Talon HD 10x42's

Pack- MR Grizzly
Shelter- Paratarp
Bag- Montbell SS down hugger
Pad- Exped UL or Exped Downmat
Boots- Meindl
Cooking-Jetboil
Optics- Swarovski

The list changes a little depending on season, but thats for about 80%.

blb078

WKR
Pack - Stone Glacier Terminus
Shelter - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2
Bag - Mont Bell Spiral UL 0*
Pad - Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
Boots - UA Speed Freaks
Cooking - Jetboil Zip
Optics - Nikon Pro Staff 7 10x42s

7mag.

WKR
How are you guys liking those Golites?

Ive been eyeballing em pretty hard lately. Cant argue with the cost to weight on these if they're well built!

I really like mine. Lightweight and roomy for 2. I can't see 3 adults and gear in there. I had been using a Eureka Solitaire one man tent, so the SL3 is like a palace. Price is good too.

Slim Jim

WKR
Isn't the GoLite SL3 heavy? At 4 1/2lbs it just seems heavy for solo unless you're splitting the weight with a partner. They look great other than the weight

JNDEER

WKR

Boots, Asolos

Steve

I found some information that Cabelas is coming out with different power Euro bino's and a BETTER warranty. Suppose to come out this summer, just an FYI.
(the Meopta HD and Euro HD are the same, just in case you didn't know)

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't the GoLite SL3 heavy? At 4 1/2lbs it just seems heavy for solo unless you're splitting the weight with a partner. They look great other than the weight

That's with the inner nest. Mine weighs 3lbs with stakes, guy ropes , oversized Tyvek ground sheet and center pole. If I cut down Tyvek and ditch center pole I'm probably looking right over 2lbs.

Im looking at the UL3, which is only 3ish lbs and looks like it should have room for two plus gear. At at $300 its cheaper than most everything else ive looked at in the same size/weight class. Plus, I really really really really like freestanding tents.

I am finally getting my most expensive piece of gear (pack), all my other gear is a few years old. Till I can maybe someday afford to upgrade,it will have to do.

Pack--Bikini Frame, DT1 bag (soon!)
Shelter-Mountain Hardwear Meridian 2
Bag-BA Lost Ranger
Pad-BA Insulated Core
Cooking-Jetboil
Optics-Docter 10x42