Best Glassing Area in CO?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Hey y'all,

Going into my 3rd year here in CO. I've hunted a good mix of the state (PM if you're curious) and I am curious which part of the state (regions, units, mountain ranges) best lends itself to glassing? Most of my hunting has been dark timber with a bugle tube, which so far has been successful but am interested in finding more "open" country relative to what I have been stomping about in. I realize if I were to hunt WY or MT I would primarily be finding myself in this more open country but for the time being, that's not realistic.

Lastly, I realize the high country is always a glassing option as its where I spent the majority of my 2018 season but I'm just trying to get perspectives on the other types of landscape that I haven't seen much of in the areas I have been hunting.

I mean... other than saying above timberline, you're probably not gonna get much info. If there's units where people can glass up elk and stalk them with a bow they usually keep it quiet. I don't know CO, so take this for what it's worth, but I've shot elk in sage brush. Glassing can take place anywhere you have elevation changes, and/or lack of trees.

Wapiti1

WKR
You have not spent time in MT or WY. There are some deep dark hidey holes in those states. Most have a retarded amount of deadfall and are busting at the seems with elk.

CO opens up as you move west and north. Most of the LE units are better glassing, which is part of why they are LE units. Google earth will show you what you are looking for. The trouble with glassing is those elk might be 5 miles away in the wilderness. Or worse, on a really nice pivot on private land.

Jeremy

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I’m not looking for anyone’s spot. Just curious. So far I’ve hunted 38,28,18, 6, 53, 4,5, and did quite a bit of scouting up in 7/8/9 plus multiple hunts out east. Anything near Granby, Kremmling, Silverthorne is a deadfall hell hole.

So far, above tree line offers plenty of glass in those units. Trying to get an idea is further south and west will offer more broken meadow country or if more of the same.

WTFJohn

WKR
You can glass into a lot of timber from an opposing slope, and into aspens once the leaves fall.

Also once you get to the bottom of the timber there can be a lot of glassing available. One of my most successful glassing & hunting spots is just over 8k ft and is looking more down than up.

I’m staring at a peak in the Sangre’s and I have no doubt you’d be able to see for a hundred miles or as far as your eye can see. Have fun climbing that peak