Best Glassing Puffy

What would you guys consider is the best heavy weight glassing puffy? I’m looking at the Kuiu Super Down Pro, Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody or First Lite Chamberlain. Anything I’m missing or what would you recommend out of these three?

Thanks?

USMC-40

WKR
I have had almost all of them and finally broke down and ordered a custom one fit to my specs (in sizing and fill, etc) from GooseFeet Gear. Wasn’t cheap, but when considering what I’ve paid for the ones I don’t really care for (Kuiu, SG, Arcteryx, Columbia) I’m probably money ahead.

Wanted a pullover with a large front pocket and 9 oz of fill.

Also I’m in between sizes (L/XL).

The sitka WS is very good. I love mine and its my go-to for anything cold and lots of sitting. I have not had the FL, I hear that its warm, but less durable & resistant to weather. I have had the sitka WS in driving sleet turning to snow last year for hours where I had to get up and shake snow off a few times, never got wet, did great with that type of precipitation.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Barney's Sport Chalet Super Cub or Brooks Range jacket. The cub is plenty for most conditions but if you run cold or have to sit all day(like Brown bear hunting) the Brooks Range is awesome.

Has an Event shell for wind resistance and will handle light rain too.

Not the lightest by far but durable and you will stay warm. I've never minded the extra weight of the Cub knowing I have a bomb proof puffy.

Kelvin WS is incredibly warm and cuts the wind great. I have no experience with the others but I cant think of a reason to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the numbers before you buy anything with down insulation. For example:

KUIU Burner Parka: 850+ fp down x 8.3 oz. Wt = 27 oz $800

FF Helios Jacket: 900+ fp down x 7.8 oz. Wt = 18 oz $390

KUIU Super Down Pro: 850 fp down x 5.0 oz. Wt = 13.4 oz $400

Last edited:

Mcnasty

FNG
There is a thread on this I saw a few weeks back (that I cant seem to locate now) where someone posted a spread sheet with dozens of jackets. It shows not just the overall weight and the fill weight 8o0, 900 etc but the weight of the fill. This allow you to see how much insulation is in it vs the weight of the shell. Also shows measurements like length etc which allows you really dial in what you can expect for warmth.

snipe10

FNG
I'm 6'5" and 205 lbs, anyone know of one in XL with long sleeves? Was looking at Feathered Friends but sleeves are short

What would you guys consider is the best heavy weight glassing puffy? I’m looking at the Kuiu Super Down Pro, Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody or First Lite Chamberlain. Anything I’m missing or what would you recommend out of these three?

Thanks?

Sitka Kelvin WS Down Hoody…. #HandsDown

Seeknelk

WKR
Kelvin WS is incredibly warm and cuts the wind great. I have no experience with the others but I cant think of a reason to change.

I'll agree the Kelvin WS down puffy is amazing...really shines when the wind gets going. What's it have , 5.5 oz of 850? Not sure.

Probably not on par with feathered friends , western mountaineering, goose foot, etc tho. They have several levels above the Kelvin. I didn't pay full price for the sitka and for that money I'd look at some of the above boutique options.