Best Glassing Tripod

drlfc

FNG
Getting geared up for an Aoudad hunt in West Texas. Any opinions on glassing tripods that can double as a shooting tripod?

Not worth it. A great tripod and head for glassing is often too short to use for a rifle. I carry both so I can shoot standing up in thick bush and sit while glassing. Lower profile and center of gravity makes the spotter more manageable in wind. Plus it's a PITA to remove and set-up the head/cradle. Never know when you'll have little time to set up your shot. Things can happen quickly.

MONFROTTO410JR.JPG

KineKilla

WKR
I just barely finished my hunt for a glassing tripod. The only one I found that may work as both would be the one made by BogPod but it's heavy! Outdoorsman makes a pistol grip head that "can" be used as a shooting rest if you turn it sideways.

I eventually settled on a ProMaster XC-M525CK and while I've only had it a few days, it seems to be very well made and should suit my needs well. It came with a ball head which I plan to replace with a fluid or pan head before my goat hunt this fall.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a pro master XC 525, that I use for glassing and I shoot off of. I put a sirui fluid head on it, but it worked for both with the ball head it came with. D8F22A9E-80B3-4B5C-8219-80AE9918ECCA.jpeg

Depending on where I am hunting, I use either a Slik CF-635 or Manfrotto 290 extra (carbon fiber). The Manfrotto is significantly more stable than the Slik but the Slik is a bit lighter and much more packable. There are times I run both; spotter on one and the SLCs on the other.

I have both the Outdoorsman's Shooting V and TriClawps that I occasionally shoot off of. Quick and easy to swap from my optics (SLCs/STX) to either of these.

I have personally shot off of, as well as seen others shoot off of, binoculars and/or spotters. Not the best solution but can work.

skierhs

WKR
If you really want the best, really right stuff is the best of the best. You’ll have to sell a kidney for one but the 24L with an anvil-30 head will be what your looking for. It’s super nice to glass off of and I can shoot my 338lm hundreds of yards accurate with it.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Leofoto LS-365c Ranger with a BH-40 ball head + lever release clamp. I have ARCA rails on my rifles and optics. Super easy and fast to swap between. I’ve practiced to 800 yards with it, and would have no issue hunting to 600-700.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
If you really want the best, really right stuff is the best of the best. You’ll have to sell a kidney for one but the 24L with an anvil-30 head will be what your looking for. It’s super nice to glass off of and I can shoot my 338lm hundreds of yards accurate with it.

This is the answer here, for me at least. I have a RRS-23 (wish I had the 24L) and their BH-40 ball head and it works well for glassing and shooting off of. I haven't used the anvil-30 but I'm betting it would be better for shooting, but you give up the pan feature with it.

I believe that RRS is coming out with a new tripod with a center column and leveling head specifically for hunting.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
RRS for the win!

I have the 14 Mk2 and the BH-40. I wanted to keep it light as possible and glassing was the priority. But if I did it again, I would probably go for the 3 series and the Anvil.

I might actually add a 34, to replace another aluminum tripod I have. The benefit is the lower leg section of the 34 will replace the lowest 3 legs of the 14. It'll be a 600gram uber strong tripod for seated glassing and shooting. Max height would be roughly 24".

From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Outdoorsmans for light optics. Manfrotto for heavy optics) and to also carry a shortened center column with a RRS Anvil 30 on my pack’s waist belt.

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and insert the ‘shooting’ center column/Anvil 30.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle.

The short center column with RRS Anvil 30 weighs close to that of a bipod. If I had to choose between the two.....I’d definitely leave the bipod at home. shooting off a tripod is much more versatile. Including the ability to shoot prone from it by opening the legs all the way up, so that they lay flat.
4442E618-5C72-4436-B7B8-7B927459AF0E.jpegEC6035C0-4982-4A98-9554-3ACE388DB106.jpegC075684F-63B0-45A0-8A93-70EF45B452AD.jpeg73E07F85-31EF-442F-9D40-F4B7B7310557.jpeg371BFE5E-3975-4D4E-8EE3-33964CD59A93.jpegD5309B08-1455-4852-905C-33F3A9F09D93.jpeg

Bunkin

FNG
The outdoorsman is probably one of the best light weight glassing set ups. You can be fully set up with tripod and head for around 800. The RRS is definitively the best all purpose tripod, but like others said, extremely spendy...

skierhs

WKR
From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Outdoorsmans for light optics. Manfrotto for heavy optics) and to also carry a shortened center column with a RRS Anvil 30 on my pack’s waist belt.

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and insert the ‘shooting’ center column/Anvil 30.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle.

The short center column with RRS Anvil 30 weighs close to that of a bipod. If I had to choose between the two.....I’d definitely leave the bipod at home. shooting off a tripod is much more versatile. Including the ability to shoot prone from it by opening the legs all the way up, so that they lay flat.
View attachment 171527View attachment 171528View attachment 171529View attachment 171530View attachment 171531View attachment 171532
RRS 24L with an anvil 30 bullhead. Weighs 5 lbs which is still heavy but provides a rock solid platform.
It’s on my scale right now and is 4lbs and 9oz on my scale.

TwoTracks

FNG
I use two different tripods depending on how far I need to pack in. A Slik cf634 is lighter, but less stable and is a couple inches short to stand and glass for a person over about 6’2”. if I’m staying maybe a mile from the truck, I use a manfroto 055 carbon fiber. Ball or pistol grip heads aren’t as good. Use a fluid head for 15s or your spotting scope. I carry the triclawps with a qr base on it. you can go from seeing an animal to rifle on the tripod in maybe 10 seconds. It’s not as stable as prone or a bipod, but it works great if your in brushy or weedy country.

If you are maybe 6’2” or taller, a lot of the 160cm/63” tripods will be a touch too short to stand comfortably. They still work but you might need to crouch down a couple inches. Also, I bring a butt pad that fits in my pack. Makes a big difference in how much you squirm around and scratch. I have the quick release plates on 15s, spotting scope, range finder, and the triclawps saddle.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
Personally love a ball head for glassing with binos. It feels closer to the ergonomics of how I glass with binos without a tripod if that makes sense. Basically, the head is free to move around like it's not stuck on one plane. Harder to grid but it's still do-able if you follow terrain features. Wouldn't use a ball head if I were using a spotter though. As for shooting, I dont shoot off bi-pod or tripod so I cant speak to that. Choose whatever brand fits your weight, height and price point specifications. Lots of good advice above that hits the nail.

I’ve been playing with the TFCT-24L for a couple days now, first off I have to say WOW!
This thing is stable, even when standing. In my opinion, it takes the glass up a notch over the lesser tripods.

Mine weighs ~4 lbs. 10.9 oz.
835244C1-0D8A-4FE1-A3F5-FF3EFDF445A5.jpeg

This tripod is a beast, I honestly believe their ratings that this thing could support 80#. I’ve ordered a titanium arca swiss plate from “LivetohuntID”, can’t wait to mount the rifle on this tripod.

I’ve been backpacking with a little KDC tripod for a while now. I really like it, but the thing struggles under the weight of the EL 12x50s. This RRS tripod would be pretty heavy to carry around 4# 10.9 oz. I’ve ordered a set of replacement knobs from Really Right Stuff, I have a thought that I can make a new set of tripod feet and remove the two bottom leg segments. This would save 1# 6 oz.
8ECF7E84-D116-4E26-854B-A7B2BDEB19B5.jpeg

This would leave me with a 41” tall tripod @ 3 lbs 4 oz. Since I do most of my glassing while sitting, I don’t think this is a bad thing.
1BB501C1-DCD0-48A3-A436-CA4755DC831E.jpeg

I hope I learn to like glassing from a ball head as RazzleDazzle suggests, so far it seems pretty smooth with the Anvil 30 lever lock design. You can feather the tension on the ball an infinite amount. I do have an Outdoorsmans panner with quick release I can mount on the Anvil ball head later on if needed.