Best GPS beacon/comm

Blandry

WKR
I broke down in the pike national forest CO last week.. zero cell. Had to hike 10 miles to JW Green mercantile (oldest store and Conoco station in the state) for a land line. I was stranded for 18 hours. Need the best inreach. is Garmin the best for text/beacon?

Golden, CO

All inReach devices are functionally identical in messaging capability and all use the same satellite network (Iridium). Which model is best for you depends on what features you want in addition to two-way text messaging and SOS. The inReach Mini is the smallest and cheapest model but needs to be Bluetooth-connected to a cell phone to take full advantage of its features. The inReach Explorer can be used as a standalone basic GPS without a cell phone. The GPSMAP models (66i, 86i) have more bulit-in GPS features than the Explorer and have a removable memory card.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Good info, thanks. What about the refurbished ones for sale on amazon/ebay. Would you recommend saving a few dollars with a refurb model?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Good info, thanks. What about the refurbished ones for sale on amazon/ebay. Would you recommend saving a few dollars with a refurb model?

Personally I wouldn't buy a critical piece of potentially lifesaving equipment that has been refurbed without knowing the exact details of what was wrong with it....and wouldn't buy it from anyone but the OEM.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
All inReach devices are functionally identical in messaging capability and all use the same satellite network (Iridium). Which model is best for you depends on what features you want in addition to two-way text messaging and SOS. The inReach Mini is the smallest and cheapest model but needs to be Bluetooth-connected to a cell phone to take full advantage of its features. The inReach Explorer can be used as a standalone basic GPS without a cell phone. The GPSMAP models (66i, 86i) have more bulit-in GPS features than the Explorer and have a removable memory card.
+1
CC.jpg

Rokwiia

WKR
"I broke down in the pike national forest CO last week.. zero cell. Had to hike 10 miles to JW Green mercantile (oldest store and Conoco station in the state) for a land line. I was stranded for 18 hours. Need the best inreach. is Garmin the best for text/beacon?"

Sorry to hear that. If that happened to me, I'd buy either a satellite phone or a brand-new Garmin GPSMAP 66i so it would never happen again. Price be damned.

Think of what you would have been willing to pay to have a workable solution rather than the 10-mile hike, 18-hour ordeal. God only knows what tragedy could have befallen you on the trek out...twist an ankle, snap a leg.

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Absolutely. I’d anticipated buying a sat phone when I moved here. I’m the guy who always says ‘at least buy a little spot or PLB’ and was out there without anything.

It was a good, hard lesson no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cockeye

WKR
I bought a new SE model for $289 because I didn’t need the GPS and the mini battery doesn’t last as long. It’s tethered to my phone and I’m a able to keep in touch with wife and other parts of our hunting crew.

WTFJohn

WKR
I've had the Explorer+ for a few years, but made the switch to a Mini earlier this year. I have no regrets, the mini has been 100% reliable for me. Paired with my phone and my Instinct watch, it's easy to send and receive messages. I'm just down the road in Denver if you'd like to put your hands on a working inReach before you buy; or if you want some help getting it configured and set up right. I've carried a PLB or an inReach for over 10 years, the last 3 have had me carrying one over 100 days a year.

aqn0DRS.jpg

ai8qiXg.jpg

Austink47

WKR
I have been happy with the explorer, but don’t think you can go wrong with which ever Garmin makes sense to you.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I've had the Explorer+ for a few years, but made the switch to a Mini earlier this year. I have no regrets, the mini has been 100% reliable for me. Paired with my phone and my Instinct watch, it's easy to send and receive messages. I'm just down the road in Denver if you'd like to put your hands on a working inReach before you buy; or if you want some help getting it configured and set up right. I've carried a PLB or an inReach for over 10 years, the last 3 have had me carrying one over 100 days a year.

I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I'll pm you later this week and we can get together. I'm on the fence between the mini and explorer+. It would be great to chat about the pros/cons before I drop the cash. I'm in Lakewood so same general vicinity.

hikenhunt

WKR
I used a Spot for several years and was never completely satisfied. I switched to an Inreach Mini and wished I had switched to Garmin earlier.