Best gun case for air travel? Any tips on flying with firearm?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive never been charged for an overweight bag but I have a small hand scale I use to make sure bags are under 50 lbs

The 62" requirement is L+W+H. All rifle and bow cases I've seen are oversize and you are at the mercy of the person handling your gear to not ding you for it.

At one point I was averaging 10+ Trips a year with either rifle/bow/golf bag/snowboard luggage that classified as oversized. I have only been charged for oversize twice and it was by the same bitch working for delta. Once with a bow, once with a rifle. They threatened to charge me once for golf clubs because I had clothes stuffed in there and the exemption for oversize was only supposed to be for sporting goods.. Like it matters if the size doesn't change and it's under 50 lbs. All of my problems were experienced in the MSP airport where Delta has a baggage check at the Tram level before you get to the ticketing/security gate floor. I don't know if the people at those desks are more motivated to get additional revenue than people at the regular ticketing counter but I stopped using it and haven't had an issue since.

I have never had issue with including ammo in the case, it just has to be in something designed for your particular ammo.

There is a chance that stuffing it full of clothes gets some agent to charge you for oversize, so do so at your own risk.

Y
I’ve never been hassled over having ammo in the same case. They say the ammo has to be in proper ammo boxes and that’s the only stipulation I’ve ever seen. Never had an issue and I don’t think I’ve ever flown gun cases without having ammo in them.

I’m either taking Ammo on a hunt or bringing back as much as will possibly fit in the rifle case to avoid having to make another trip to sportsman’s while I’m in skankorage.

Nz airlines

South Africa airlines

Both require ammo to be separate from rifle.

I got yanked off the plane to fix this issue.. kinda funny stuffing ammo boxes into a bag full of diapers and wipes.

OP
D
UPDATE:

Just spoke with TSA.

It is OK to have other items in your gun case as long as the gun is PROPERLY SECURED. I mentioned that I planned on packing with clothes, gear, etc. and the person on the phone just emphasized the properly secured part.

It is OK to store your ammunition in a PLASTIC container made specifically for storing ammunition. (I saw some places where it mentioned metal, wood, etc. but not plastic).

ericF

WKR
Get the smallest case that will work for your firearm.

Bolt out, mag out. Doesn't hurt to run a lock through the action and mag well.

Wrap it all up well in clothes,

Pelican, skb, Plano.. they all work. Right now I think skb is the best..

If it's a long term type of trip, or ammo won't be a problem I'd take the stock off and run it that way.

Most airlines won't let you run ammo with case, but don't ask permission and you can probably run it and a carry on.

You'll need two Tsa locks.make sure you want to budget extra time. It sucks balls to be the last person on the plane cuz the tsa guy is on break at the oversized drop off and they hold the plane for you

The part above about locks is wrong. You should never use TSA locks on gun cases. You can get some more basic information at the following link. Also yes you can and should have ammo in your case as others have mentioned, the original box is best. As Ndbowhunter mentioned, he had an issue with ammo when flying overseas, but the general consensus for domestic is ammo in the case.

Beretta article on flying with guns

If tsa locks are for locking the corners or ends of your gun case if it only has two built in locks towards the middle.

My iPhone doesn't have a big screen and I must have erased something and forgot to edit.

Director of TSA at PDX wasn't too stoked when I was coming home from a sheep hunt in 2016.

Funny enough he didn't winge about the Tsa lock and he actually had to give me one as a second so I could catch the plane on time.IMG_1175.jpg

cocky84

WKR
I use skb golf club case. Put rifle in soft case inside it and pack most of camping gear in with it. Plus you can find those cases all the time, used for $50-100.

Fatcamp

WKR
I might try this when i travel this year.
My understanding was that you couldnt put any other items except the rifles in their case.

When we fly with our pistols we put them in a rifle case with a mob of stuff. Rockdigging tools, spearguns and snorkeling equipment, etc. Has led to some funny looks, but no issues whatsoever.