Best gun case for air travel? Any tips on flying with firearm?

I'm planning on making my first hunting trip via air travel this spring and was looking to purchase a good gun case. In order to save on checked luggage, I'd like to pack my clothes in the gun case as well. I've read where people remove the foam, put the gun in a soft case, and pack clothes/gear around it tightly. Right now i'm looking at the Pelican 1750 and the SKB 5009. Which would you recommend? Are there better options? Also, any general tips on flying with a weapon would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have the Pelican 1750 and love it. Some folks cut their foam, actually, I haven’t seen the need to. I don’t pack clothes in mine, either. Ammo in factory boxes and inside the case with the firearm. No TSA locks. This is how the airline I fly does it. Check with your airline to make sure what they require.
I’ve had no issues flying with a firearm.
Good luck.

ofl0926

WKR
pelican 1750 is what i have. i have never used a soft case and stuffed clothes around it but seems like a good option. my case has the foam cut out for two rifles. No TSA locks. Buy good locks for your case. The airline will inspect your case so arrive a bit early. always check your airlines for rules.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I pulled one layer of foam out of my Pelican. I too like to put my shotguns and/or rifles in a soft case first. That way I can ditch the hard case when I get to my destination and still use the soft case for transport in the vehicle. May not be a big benefit for all hunting styles, though. Lol

ofl0926

WKR
I pulled one layer of foam out of my Pelican. I too like to put my shotguns and/or rifles in a soft case first. That way I can ditch the hard case when I get to my destination and still use the soft case for transport in the vehicle. May not be a big benefit for all hunting styles, though. Lol

I might try this when i travel this year.
My understanding was that you couldnt put any other items except the rifles in their case.

weaver

WKR
Really like my Pelican 1750. Always remove foam and pack it to just under 50lbs. Never had a problem.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive flown back and forth to/from here in AK several times for trips.

I like the plano tactical cases, they are 1/2 as expensive as the pellicans which is nice since the case will just sit there the other 55 weeks of the year you arent on your big trip.

Ive also found the PLANO and SKB cases to be as strong as pellicans, with the planos, I drilled an extra hole on each end just to keep the TSA happy and oddly, every single time I've gone through, the TSA people have complimented my lock up job.

The Plano double tactical case works really well, I just throw away that cut to fit foam and pack in ammo, optics, trekking poles, fly rods, and then stuff whatever clothing I can in them. Never had a single issue.

Again, pelican cases are nice but theres other nice stuff for 1/2 the price that protects just as well and takes up the same storage space as a pellican.

ofl0926

WKR
Ive flown back and forth to/from here in AK several times for trips.

I like the plano tactical cases, they are 1/2 as expensive as the pellicans which is nice since the case will just sit there the other 55 weeks of the year you arent on your big trip.

Ive also found the PLANO and SKB cases to be as strong as pellicans, with the planos, I drilled an extra hole on each end just to keep the TSA happy and oddly, every single time I've gone through, the TSA people have complimented my lock up job.

The Plano double tactical case works really well, I just throw away that cut to fit foam and pack in ammo, optics, trekking poles, fly rods, and then stuff whatever clothing I can in them. Never had a single issue.

Again, pelican cases are nice but theres other nice stuff for 1/2 the price that protects just as well and takes up the same storage space as a pellican.

they dont give you any hassle with gloves and stuff packed in the rifle case?

Get the smallest case that will work for your firearm.

Bolt out, mag out. Doesn't hurt to run a lock through the action and mag well.

Wrap it all up well in clothes,

Pelican, skb, Plano.. they all work. Right now I think skb is the best..

If it's a long term type of trip, or ammo won't be a problem I'd take the stock off and run it that way.

Most airlines won't let you run ammo with case, but don't ask permission and you can probably run it and a carry on.

You'll need two Tsa locks.make sure you want to budget extra time. It sucks balls to be the last person on the plane cuz the tsa guy is on break at the oversized drop off and they hold the plane for you

Nubs

FNG
I have a Boyt the size of the 1750 also and just want to add that I'm pretty sure it qualifies as oversize on most airlines. I have never been charged an oversize fee, but if you got an antigunner look out.

I agree with the smallest case for the gun. I have a smaller pelican, think AR size and a cabelas double rifle case. I take the middle layer of foam out of the boyt and pelican, the cabelas case does not have a center piece.

I use the cabelas case the most. Smaller and lighter. Throw a pistol and bolt gun in there mostly.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thanks for all the comments! Extremely helpful. I was about to go ahead and order the 1750 until this:

I have a Boyt the size of the 1750 also and just want to add that I'm pretty sure it qualifies as oversize on most airlines. I have never been charged an oversize fee, but if you got an antigunner look out.

This is something I had not considered. And yup, the 1750 is oversized! Those oversized fees are crazy too. Time to find something a bit smaller. Looks like the 1700 is an option.

weaver

WKR
Most airlines have a sporting equipment case exception. I have never been hit with an oversize fee for my Pelican and have never heard of anybody being charged.

OP
D
Most airlines have a sporting equipment case exception. I have never been hit with an oversize fee for my Pelican and have never heard of anybody being charged.

I haven't bought the ticket yet, but American Airlines had the best flights for me. This is their exception:

uKhD6WZ.jpg

Guess I better find out if that is 62" in length or combined dimensions!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
they dont give you any hassle with gloves and stuff packed in the rifle case?

Nope, never once been hassled and I’ve stuffed those cases full of as much random stuff as they would hold. Shirts rolled up, guns, boxes of Ammo, pistols, knives, Baer layers packed around everything. Etc etc. never a single problem.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get the smallest case that will work for your firearm.

Bolt out, mag out. Doesn't hurt to run a lock through the action and mag well.

Wrap it all up well in clothes,

Pelican, skb, Plano.. they all work. Right now I think skb is the best..

If it's a long term type of trip, or ammo won't be a problem I'd take the stock off and run it that way.

Most airlines won't let you run ammo with case, but don't ask permission and you can probably run it and a carry on.

You'll need two Tsa locks.make sure you want to budget extra time. It sucks balls to be the last person on the plane cuz the tsa guy is on break at the oversized drop off and they hold the plane for you

I’ve never been hassled over having ammo in the same case. They say the ammo has to be in proper ammo boxes and that’s the only stipulation I’ve ever seen. Never had an issue and I don’t think I’ve ever flown gun cases without having ammo in them.

I’m either taking Ammo on a hunt or bringing back as much as will possibly fit in the rifle case to avoid having to make another trip to sportsman’s while I’m in skankorage.

Nubs

FNG
I've been hassled a little bit here and there, usually after the manager gets involved things settle down and things go smooth. Just make sure the ammo is in a some type of box meant to hold ammo. I always keep my suppressor covered also as that's probably another can of worms.

Like many have said here, I have never been dinged for an oversize baggage fee, but I think it could happen.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Never been dinged for oversize, and always have ammo and other gear stuffed into it. I'd go big if you see yourself hunting with a buddy. We always have a double case and usually have two rifles and 2 revolvers for AK trips. That and ammo and some misc. That way we save a baggage charge and have less peice of luggage to drag around. If you go that route make darn sure you get one with good wheels....