Best handheld 2 bino combo for 2 people

Which 2 handheld bino combo is best for 2 people?

• Total voters

wiz329

FNG
I'm relatively new to the world of optics and hunting out west, and looking to figure out the optimal optics setup for my wife and I. We will likely be hunting both together and separately. I just got a BTX scope setup and some Maven 18s (already had a Vortex RF for archery).

I'm trying to figure out the optimal set-up for RF / handhelds for the two of us. I tend to have a "buy once, cry once" mentality, so I don't mind spending top dollar for good equipment, but I don't want to be spending extra on additional binos that won't actually be used much.

I originally was thinking to buy 8x, 10x, and 12x NLs, try them out for a season or two, then sell whichever one(s) we used the least. But, I've recently been told that BRF combo is highly recommended for rifle shooting. So I'm considering get the EL Range TA as well.

So, my question is, assuming that you were to get 2 pairs of handheld (8-12x) binos for 2 people, and one of them was a RF pair, what would you get? A few options I'm considering

Option 1: 10x NL + 10x EL TA. Rationale: 10x is great all around, may as well use it for both of us, but both of us won't need to range at the same time.
Option 2a/b: 12x NL -OR- 10x NL + 8x EL TA. Rationale: This gives you a bit more variety for different use cases -- you still get the extra magnification of the 12x that's particularly useful from a tripod.
Option 3: 8x NL + 12x NL + 10x EL TA. Rationale: this is cheating since it's 3 pairs instead of 2, but this way you have the flexibility to choose whether you want higher FOV or higher mag on the extra handheld in addition to the 10x BRF.

I know I'm likely overthinking it ... but it feels like a big decision given the price tags on these binos.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
W

wiz329

FNG
Option 3 is most ideal but you also can't go wrong with option 2.
Thanks for the input. That's what I'm leaning towards. It it a waste to have an 8x and a 12x though, when I could just go 10x for the NLs and call it a day? Although ... maybe where I'll land is getting an 8x32 NL, 10x42 EL TA, and a 12x42 NL. Feels like sufficiently differentiated use cases to justify with the more portable 8x.

And are there any cases where I'd rather have an 8x BRF than a 10x? My sense is probably not ... if I need less magnification, it's probably shorter distances where a standalone RF will do the job just fine.

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. That's what I'm leaning towards. It it a waste to have an 8x and a 12x though, when I could just go 10x for the NLs and call it a day?

And are there any cases where I'd rather have an 8x BRF than a 10x? My sense is probably not ... if I need less magnification, it's probably shorter distances where a standalone RF will do the job just fine.

Decisions, decisions!

The NL12's are the most amazing binoculars I've ever used, if I could only have one that would be them, so I would get them regardless. Compared to the EL Range 10 it only has a .3 degree FOV penalty for 2x more magnification.

I would go with the NL12's and EL range 10's regardless of whether you went with option 2 or 3. I would ad the 8's only if you do a lot of woods hunting and really want the extra FOV.

I've stopped carrying my EL 8.5's at all on hikes unless my girlfriend wants to glass and then I bring them to our glassing point in my pack. The NL12's stay on my chest even for up close glassing in the woods. They are that good.

OP
W

wiz329

FNG
The NL12's are the most amazing binoculars I've ever used, if I could only have one that would be them, so I would get them regardless. Compared to the EL Range 10 it only has a .3 degree FOV penalty for 2x more magnification.

I would go with the NL12's and EL range 10's regardless of whether you went with option 2 or 3. I would ad the 8's only if you do a lot of woods hunting and really want the extra FOV.

I've stopped carrying my EL 8.5's at all on hikes unless my girlfriend wants to glass and then I bring them to our glassing point in my pack. The NL12's stay on my chest even for up close glassing in the woods. They are that good.
That's good to hear. Maybe what i'll do is get the NL 12's, EL TA 10's, and potentially a 8x32 NL for lightweight situations when the compactness really helps. I haven't been able to try them first hand to compare to the 8x42s, but from what I've read online, they don't sacrifice a lot.

Thanks -- is it this model in particular? Or the way I phrased it?

Scammers just target WTB ads in general. They usually message and either them or their friend has them for sale and give you an email or phone numbers to message.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used LRF period, not telling if its been dropped and the laser knocked off.

OP
W

wiz329

FNG
Scammers just target WTB ads in general. They usually message and either them or their friend has them for sale and give you an email or phone numbers to message.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used LRF period, not telling if its been dropped and the laser knocked off.
Got it. Assuming if it's damaged in any way Swaro would fix it ... but I guess it'd be difficult to tell without a control?

I recently picked up a 8x NL and 10x NL over the classifieds, both from members with lots of good feedback -- that seems to be the key I guess.