Best Havalon knife?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I know that different models of Havalon knives come with different blades and have different handles, but can anyone recommend a particular model?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought the basic "Piranta" with the blaze orange handle. I looked at the "Baracuta" but decided it was too big and was geared towards fishing. I haven't used it yet but after playing with it, It should be sweet! I am sure someone with more experience with them will give you some better advice though.

swat8888

WKR
x2 on the Piranta Edge. After using it I will probably never use another knife again. Although it was nice taking my bigger fixed blade on my sheep hunt last year I will most likely leave that behind and just bring a few extra blades for the Piranta. I would purchase a mix of blades. I think it was the 60XT's I used for skinning/boning, and the #25's worked well for some of the detail work doing the caping. For a sheep/caribou/deer/goat I planned on caping out I'd take 5-6 normal length skinning blades, and 3 of the #25's for caping. You could get by with less, especially if you are still taking the ol' Rambo bowie knife along for the ride.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this to another Havalon thread but thought I should post it here in case anyone is looking.

I bought the Havalon Tracer-22. It's the same design as the piranta but it can use the 22 blades as well as the 60's. I prefer the 22 vs the 60 as I tend to poke holes in the cape more often with the 60 and my taxi is a very good friend, good enough that I get a the "what the hell?" speech for too many holes. We broke down 6-7 caribou with them then fleshed out the capes. Last year we broke down a cow elk with one blade and still had it sharp enough to accidentally cut my buddy's finger with it when we were done. The tracer just seems more versatile to me with a wider range of blades for different situations instead of only the 60's in the piranta.
Here is a description of the Tracer 22 off of Havalon's site:
The Havalon Piranta Tracer-22 fits the #22 surgical blade, the most popular blade used by professional taxidermists. As an added bonus, the Piranta Tracer-22 fits all of the blades in the 20 thru 25 range blades, plus our #60XT

Also the 22 blades can be changed without cutting yourself because the edge doesn't run all the way down to the handle as it does on the 60.