Best horse breeds for roaming mountain trails after big game

Brooks

WKR
Just yesterday I spent all day up in the wilderness on this Tennessee Walker gelding of mine scouting elk. He is a real good trustworthy horse and can get the job done. I have several Quarter horses that get to ride up there a lot and if I had to pick one it would be a Quarter horse, a nice 15 to 15.3 hands, gelding Quarter horse. IMO if you get a sound, gentle QH with a good disposition they are hard to beat.52167CEE-B1BA-4C5F-8605-B1758C9889EC.jpeg

kiddogy

WKR
mule or quarterhorse .

thoroughbreds are to high strung.

appalousas...…… well, I think this will explain appalousas .
why did the Indians ride appalousas to war?
SO THEY WOULD BE MAD WHEN THEY GOT THERE!!!!!!😁

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Mules are freakin awesome. Smarter than horses! But if you’re going with horses just stick with quarterhorses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
Our small herd is predominantly quarterhorses. Some grade, some papered. The one exception for us has been a big warmblood. He's a smooth, powerful ride, but took a lot of work to get in the right headspace for backcountry work.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The best breed of horse for mountain riding is a safe one! I wouldn’t get too caught up in finding one that’s papered, however your going to be better fit with a breed that fits into the stock horse category. Good disposition, confirmation, feet, and bone go along ways. I’m a fan of geldings that are in that 14h-15h height range

You could mess around and consider gaited horses, but in my opinion if you pull the trigger on one your whole string has to be gaited just to ease the fact you won’t have “normal horses” slowing you down.

The biggest thing i look for when i step onto a horse is how he respects myself as a rider. I like my horses soft in the face and to show a willingness to move off my legs when asked softly. Lot of riders think this might be too much to ask but i hate horses that fight me in these terms. Even though for mountain riding it can be overkill most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s definitely not too much to ask! If they (the horse) are going to fight about the basics they are probably going to be snotty about other things too. It’s only overkill until your in a tight spot and need an obedient horse 😉

2rocky

WKR
I think you want to own the horse for at least 3 months before you take it on a hunt. That will give you a chance to put it in situations and see how it reacts. Also having it legged up will make a mountain horse calmer.

Breed is not a consideration except in eliminating off the track Thoroughbreds, and Shetland ponies.

My perfect mountain horse is:

Between 6 and 15 years old (will go to 18 on a proven sound horse with good teeth)

15 hands to 16 hands tall (a hand is 4")

1100-1400 pounds

Described in the ad as a "husband horse" or "Kids horse"

Easy to handle all 4 feet

Easy to catch

can walk slow and walk fast.

Doesn't get separation anxiety when away from other horses.

Extra credit for :

No white feet
Has experience packing
Ranch horse familiar with cattle work and roping.
From a person I know personally and will see again in the future.

I'm looking myself and I'd really like to get my first mule, but I'm in a comfort trap having horses all my life.

codym

WKR
I'm a big fan of Walking horses. They are fast and smooth. I field trial so I have spent many hours in the saddle following bird dogs on them. My best horse ever was a paint mare, she wasn't gaited. Just did everything well and looked out for me. I've rode some nice quarter horses as well. I think it's more about what the others have said. A sound mind and bodied horse that gets used a bunch is best. There's great ones in all breeds and assholes in all breeds.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I got this horse as a three year old with 30 days of training from the Amish.
She is now 14. Perfect mountain horse for me. Black hooves, 14.3 tall, not buddy or barn sour, hobble trained for evening grazing, has carried a pack, no trouble spending the night on a highline. Only thing I want to do with her now is introduce her to gunfire so I can shoot off her back. I've hunted rabbit with my hounds in South Carolina and we hunted horseback, shooting the rabbits right off the back of the horses.

She is a Nakota. Basically a type of mustang that is from the Theodore Roosevelt National Forest in North Dakota. She spots game before I do.

DnUluVD.jpg

I took the pic before I took off the lead rope
zsH0OaW.jpg

Hounds don't bother her one bit
7x9COBg.jpg

rayporter

WKR
for a number of reasons i have started to put bells on my dogs. the eqines get used to the dogs and bells quickly.
it is sort of like putting bells on my stock at night.

2rocky

WKR
Robster,
Curious if you kept in touch with the Amish. how much do they sell a started horse like that for?

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
2Rocky, I purchased the two horses from a farm in Minnesota. They are the ones that sent them to the Amish for the 30 days training. I did not have anything to do with it.

JMDavies

WKR
I'd suggest a gaited horse that has a strong field trial background. They've typically seen a parts of the country including mountains, desert, thick timber and prairie. They're comfortable around gun shots and are often snack broke. Try to find one that a professional field trial trainer has for sale. PM me if you'd like a contact.