Best hot tent

Ragnüs

FNG
So Ive still been searching for a good hot tent set up. I'm between seek outside redcliff and luxe hiking gear octopeak. I like the seek outside products but spending $1400 on a full redcliff hot tent set up just seems to be a steep price for a tent. I've also been researching the luxe octopeak. Seems to be the same size at half the price. I've read tons of forums about it and lots of people say just go with SO because luxe doesn't use ripstop material, which doesn't seem to be true. The redcliff uses a 30D ripstop material and the octopeak uses a 40D ripstop material. So other than quality of stitching differences. The luxe seems to be the more durable fabric. The other difference is the warranty, but SO only covers manufacturing warranty and not wear and tear.

Any advice on this one? Any other brands y'all would recommend?

Would be using during elk/deer season, Backcountry skiing, and just general camping. Would probably always have the stove going as well.

Buy once cry once…or wait for one to pop up in the classifieds. I have a cimarron buddy has a redcliff. They been great. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a 12 man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what we have seen from Luxe here in the past, you can but new from Luxe, receive a damaged product and you are SOL if you failed to pay with a credit card. The only reason paying with a credit card helps is because the credit card company will reverse the transaction through its consumer protections.

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Obviously seek is better and why should a manufacturer cover wear and tear? Cimarron and medium seek stove here.
They definitely shouldn't cover wear and tear, was just comparing the manufacturing defects as the only cause for a warranty vs luxes warranty. I Just found several threads on luxe, after reading those I'm definitely going with SO

Was debating bett the Cimarron vs the Redcliff. Would probably get a large stove with either. For 2 people plus stove and wood, do you think the Cimarron is doable?

*zap*

WKR
Look for a used cimarron on here, the medium stove is fine.....no stove will burn long after your sleeping anyway....jmo. Good luck to ya!

mntnguide

WKR
Last year in a freak windstorm my redcliff was ripped off our heads in pitch black... not the most enjoyable way to wake up. Anyway, an entire corner had ripped off causing it to become a parachute. But Seek entirely covered repairs for the tent with zero charge to me. So, just so you know, they are pretty easy to work with on warranty/repair. I expected to be paying for it, and they didn't take a dime from me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Last year in a freak windstorm my redcliff was ripped off our heads in pitch black... not the most enjoyable way to wake up. Anyway, an entire corner had ripped off causing it to become a parachute. But Seek entirely covered repairs for the tent with zero charge to me. So, just so you know, they are pretty easy to work with on warranty/repair. I expected to be paying for it, and they didn't take a dime from me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Everything I've seen about them is fantastic. Definitely helps justify the cost knowing the company will work with you if a situation arises.

Poser

WKR
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Everything I've seen about them is fantastic. Definitely helps justify the cost knowing the company will work with you if a situation arises.

It’s also a company owned by hunters who employ a lot of hunters. They have deep freezers at their shop and host wild game dinners. Luxe is made in China and has a laundry list of questionable ethics with regards to both R&D and CS.

crich

WKR
SO is a great US company that has top notch customer service. Worth a premium right there IMO. Not to mention their products are excellent. Resale value is another consideration incase you switch things up down the road.

Cimarron is perfect for 2 plus stove a little wood pile and gear IMO. Not tight, not much extra room, just right. Think about standing height before making the decision and figure out how much you really want. Footprint size is another challenge depending on the areas you like to hunt. I made a perimeter with stakes based off the website dimensions. Then took a little giant and set it to the center pole height and connected string from the top of the ladder to each stake. That gave me a good idea of the overall size and headroom to figure out what I wanted. I went with the cimarron and stove combo for a backpack hunt single/duo hot tent.

So Ive still been searching for a good hot tent set up. I'm between seek outside redcliff and luxe hiking gear octopeak. I like the seek outside products but spending $1400 on a full redcliff hot tent set up just seems to be a steep price for a tent. I've also been researching the luxe octopeak. Seems to be the same size at half the price. I've read tons of forums about it and lots of people say just go with SO because luxe doesn't use ripstop material, which doesn't seem to be true. The redcliff uses a 30D ripstop material and the octopeak uses a 40D ripstop material. So other than quality of stitching differences. The luxe seems to be the more durable fabric. The other difference is the warranty, but SO only covers manufacturing warranty and not wear and tear.

Any advice on this one? Any other brands y'all would recommend?

Would be using during elk/deer season, Backcountry skiing, and just general camping. Would probably always have the stove going as well.
If you want a “hot” tent can’t beat an Arctic Oven! It’s made in Alaska for winter camping, throw in a buddy heater (way easier than any wood burning stove) and you will be baking in heat!

Probably not what you are looking for but you didn’t specify weight limit? Size? Cost?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The redcliff uses a 30D ripstop material and the octopeak uses a 40D ripstop material. So other than quality of stitching differences. The luxe seems to be the more durable fabric.
Specific to this question, 30D vs 40D doesn't tell the true story. There is a lot more that goes into fabric performance. This link should help - https://seekoutside.com/blog/tent-fabrics-a-comparison-of-fabric-types/

Customer service is core to our business, and we try very hard to be excellent there. Nobody is perfect, mistakes happen, but we try to own it and make it right when they do.

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Specific to this question, 30D vs 40D doesn't tell the true story. There is a lot more that goes into fabric performance. This link should help - https://seekoutside.com/blog/tent-fabrics-a-comparison-of-fabric-types/

Customer service is core to our business, and we try very hard to be excellent there. Nobody is perfect, mistakes happen, but we try to own it and make it right when they do.
This is great info! Definitely going to pick up a SO tent when I'm able to. The customer service is such a big factor when purchasing a high quality piece of equipment like this. I have yet to find anything negative or anyone with a bad experience with SO. I've been searching for a bad review too! Says everything I need to know about the company and quality of product. Thanks for your help?

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my lite outdoors plateau as my intro to floorless tipis. Yes it is made in china, which is a bummer but it has been sturdy and roomy for two plus gear with the stove. https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/plateau-5/

I wish they would have had the option of the ultralight when I got mine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Just did 6 days with 2 people + stove in a cimarron. Had a 3rd in there for dinners to warm up as well. Plenty of room but would not want 3 sleeping in there with a stove.

I had the Redcliff previously and just from one trip knew it was too much tent for me backpacking. It's huge and the footprint is huge.

Not to throw a wrench into the conversation, but if footprint is a concern, as pickardjw mentions, I would also look at the Kifaru Sawtooth. I use Seek Outside for their tipis and love them, but I like the sleeker side to side measurement of the Sawtooth for just me plus one and a stove, or me plus two without a stove.