Best HOT Weather Long Sleeve Hunting Shirt?🔥

Hi Y'all, I hunt in Northern California during archery season when it's 90 - 100+ during the day. I'm looking for a new shirt this season. I'm thinking the sitka core lightweight hoody or the Firstlite wick hoody. I also like the Kryptek button down, but can't find any reviews... I've been using a Rocky brand button down that I got from camofire many years ago. It stinks after one day and doesn't stretch. The sitka looks more durable, but I've read mixed reviews about odor. The firstlite has merino, but seems less durable. If the odor isn't bad on the sitka I would most likey go that direction. What do you guys think?

Rob5589

WKR
Gotta love our August archery seasons. I now wear Kings Camo XKG 1/4 zip; comfortable, doesn't get funky, nice air flow. Before those I wore just plain old cotton blend long sleeve camo shirts from whomever. I was truck hunting so no issues bringing a few to change out.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the ascent shirt for a few years and it’s the best hot weather shirt I’ve used so far, but I’ve been wondering if there is a better option in the extreme heat. Everyone I know only owns one or the other, so I bought both the Sitka lightweight hoody, the FL wick shirt and the Kuiu ultra Tiburon shirt a couple weeks ago to see which is best (I feel the heat more than the cold). They’ll be getting a run in July to compare.

Last edited:

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have run the Kuiu Peleton and the First Lite Wick series. I think the First Lite Wick is the better option in my opinion, especially the 1/4 zip (more like a 1/3 zip). The Wick breathes better and the best thing is wool is naturally odor resistant and will not smell or hold stink over time. After a full season of wearing the Peleton it was starting to remind me of the smell of my under armour workout gear. My experience in hunting in early September in MD in the 90's.

Vandal 44

WKR
The best shirt for me in hot weather is the Sitka ESW Shirt, it’s lightweight, 4 way stretch, breaths very well and extremely comfortable. When there is just the slightest breeze you feel it come through the shirt. I am not a fan of the coma pattern but that’s not a big deal. My next favorite is the Kuiu Tiburon, lightweight, great camo options just not as comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShakeDown

WKR
For me it’s FL Wick Hoody then the Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip T Hoody then the Free Fly Apparel lightweight bamboo hoody.

I came to this forum and was about to make the exact same post. Looking at the Sitka Core Lightweight or the First Lite Wick for early season. I’m assuming it’s personal preference to some extent (are you a wool or synthetic guy), but it would be great to hear a review from someone who has worn both as far as fit, dry times, general performance, etc

JNDEER

WKR
Any wool base layer for hot season. I have used kuiu since they became a company hunting A zone, B zone and in all the years I only ripped one shirt bush whacking through buck brush.
I personally spent multiple days hunting A zone 100 degree days backpacked in and can say that a wool shirt keeps you cooler then a poly shirt and cooler than a “highly breathable mesh” type shirt (tiburon). This is extreme heat testing.

for the average hunter hunting in their “hot” temps of a scorching 87 degrees most any top brand companies “warm weather” shirt will be just fine.

if you absolutely want something that will keep your body the coolest.. it is Wool.. period.. (although last topic of this sort someone suggested bamboo... maybe it will be my next A zone test)

TBHasler

WKR
Any wool base layer for hot season. I have used kuiu since they became a company hunting A zone, B zone and in all the years I only ripped one shirt bush whacking through buck brush.
I personally spent multiple days hunting A zone 100 degree days backpacked in and can say that a wool shirt keeps you cooler then a poly shirt and cooler than a “highly breathable mesh” type shirt (tiburon). This is extreme heat testing.

for the average hunter hunting in their “hot” temps of a scorching 87 degrees most any top brand companies “warm weather” shirt will be just fine.

if you absolutely want something that will keep your body the coolest.. it is Wool.. period.. (although last topic of this sort someone suggested bamboo... maybe it will be my next A zone test)

This here...counterintuitive maybe, but light (125-150) merino will keep you cooler than synthetics. They won’t dry nearly as fast but will keep the odor build up away.
I think this can be one of the toughest riddles in the packing game - but if you can pack 2 lightweight merino base layers and alternate you should have a dry base every day. Only weigh a few ounces so packing an extra 1 or 2 doesn’t take much room or add much weight.

Northern Ca guy here too, I really like the tiburon shirts for when it’s hot. Was 109 degrees by the time we got our bucks back to camp last year.

JNDEER

WKR
Northern Ca guy here too, I really like the tiburon shirts for when it’s hot. Was 109 degrees by the time we got our bucks back to camp last year.
Saw your northern A zone bucks from last year- love me some July hunting!
For me, kuiu 145 wicks more sweat and evaporates it faster than the tib shirt does. The thing that feels good sometimes is when a slight breeze comes up and you feel it through the holes in the tib. But when the breeze is gone or your not actively moving I find the sweat pools and sticks around longer on the tib shirt than the wool shirt.

Saw your northern A zone bucks from last year- love me some July hunting!
For me, kuiu 145 wicks more sweat and evaporates it faster than the tib shirt does. The thing that feels good sometimes is when a slight breeze comes up and you feel it through the holes in the tib. But when the breeze is gone or your not actively moving I find the sweat pools and sticks around longer on the tib shirt than the wool shirt.
That was august haha, opening weekend of rifle was a scorcher! I think it was 95 when we killed them at 9 am.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The best shirt for me in hot weather is the Sitka ESW Shirt, it’s lightweight, 4 way stretch, breaths very well and extremely comfortable. When there is just the slightest breeze you feel it come through the shirt. I am not a fan of the coma pattern but that’s not a big deal. My next favorite is the Kuiu Tiburon, lightweight, great camo options just not as comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the ESW for really hot (Ga and SC in August), and I’m normally a 100% fanboy of merino. Note though that this shirt will not stop a mosquito from sucking your blood right through it.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
First lite wick long sleeve for me. I tend to sweat a lot and our muzzleloader season can be around 100 degrees and the wick works well for me.

Hondo

WKR
I'm a big fan of merino but when I'm in really hot and humid conditions (Gulf Coastal Plains) the Sitka Gear Core LW Hoody feels cooler to me than the First Lite Wick Hoody or the Kuiu Ultra Tiburon Hybrid. With dry heat I favor merino.

Fatcamp mentioned the Outdoor Research Echo. That Echo fabric is amazing in the heat but agree with the poor color selection for hunting purposes.

Maverick1

WKR
My upper body clothing “system” for September is pretty simple.

One short sleeve shirt and one long sleeve shirt.

Both 100% merino wool. Amazing at keeping the funk at bay.

Warm weather (over 65 degrees) it’s the short sleeve shirt by itself.

Mid temps (~50-65 degrees) it’s the long sleeve shirt.

Below about 50 degrees it is both merino shirts at the same time.

Stationary or windy I wear both merino wool shirts and put on a zip up synthetic hoody.

Windy and cold I wear both merino wool shirts, the zip up hoody, and a rain jacket.

Pretty simple system, works, not overly complicated.