Best HOT Weather Long Sleeve Hunting Shirt?🔥

Ssmith6

FNG
I wear the kuiu tiburon shirts when it’s hot here and they are the best I have found for that situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
I'm wondering if this is basically the same shirt as the newer kryptek Sonora. Though I like that the kryptek can open at the neck/chest some.

tried a bunch over the years for 90+ the best is a Sitka core lightweight hoodie or merino blend FL wick if I want a little more anti odor and wont wash for a while. I tried the lightweight Kuiu merino 125 and 145 and their peloton tops but they don't compare with those two. the kuiu tops are hotter and don't dry as fast. I also had the Kuiu tiburon top when it first came out and it sucked, just didn't absorb any sweat and got super clammy. Kuiu tiburon plants though can't be beat for hot weather. no i dont mind mixing camos, just wear what works.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Sitka lightweight hoodie. I have merinos from Kuiu, FL, and SG and just keep coming back to the lightweight hoodie for the hot summer hunts.

The hood isn't loose and sloppy but holds tight on the head and then integrated face mask is a whole lot more comfortable than rocking a neck gaiter for me. Whether I'm hiking hard and fast sweating or need to cover every inch of skin glassing into the sun, they just work.

They also breath MUCH better than a comparable lightweight merino and dry faster in our arid climate too.

The only two knocks I have to give them where merino has the advantage is on pick resistance and odor control. They catch a lot easier on branches and thorns. They'll also start to stink a bit faster than merino. Where I can normally get 4 days out of a merino shirt, I can get 2.5 out of the lightweight hoodie.

But the flexibility and comfort are worth the cost.

Put in an order for the Gila from KUIU. Interested to see how it stacks up as the cost is much more reasonable.

RoseAllen

FNG
I’ve used the ascent shirt for a few years and it’s the best hot weather shirt I’ve used so far, but I’ve been wondering if there is a better option in the extreme heat. Everyone I know only owns one or the other, so I bought both the Sitka lightweight hoody, the FL wick shirt and the Kuiu ultra Tiburon shirt a couple weeks ago to see which is best (I feel the heat more than the cold). They’ll be getting a run in July to compare.
Would love to see a review on that!

RoseAllen

FNG
One thing I have a problem with is my neck and ear protection from intense sun. Here in Colo at 10,000 to 14,000' elevation the sun sure is intense! It seems like most warm season shirts have no neck protection and there are very few shirts that have collars? A neck gator obviously is an option. I guess that's where a hoody fits in pretty well.

I would be curious how the new Kuiu Gila hoodies are? They are lower priced than other Kuiu's.
First lite collard snap shirts are great. I don't understand the t-shirt only thing. T-shirts are for going under a real collard shirt.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to see a review on that!
I’ll share my opinion on them when I’m done, no worries. I have no brand loyalty, I’m just after the best hot weather set I can put together as I hunt many days a year with the mercury goes 100+ Brutal.

First impression, it feels thinner and lighter than a similar sun shirt/hoodie from Simms or Columbia etc and the fabric has a similar texture.

Definately feels thinner than my Peloton 118 shirts and a looser fit too, both of those features will likely allow a slight breeze to get through the material a little better.

They didn't have my size/color in stock so I did not purchase it at this time.

Last edited:

CR78

FNG
First impression, it feels thinner and lighter than a similar sun shirt/hoodie from Simms or Columbia etc and the fabric has a similar texture.

Definately feels thinner than my Peloton 118 shirts and a looser fit too, both of those features will likely allow a slight breeze to get through the material a little better.

They didn't have my size/color in stock so I did not purchase it at this time.

Dogbones, which shirt are you talking about?

Gotta love our August archery seasons. I now wear Kings Camo XKG 1/4 zip; comfortable, doesn't get funky, nice air flow. Before those I wore just plain old cotton blend long sleeve camo shirts from whomever. I was truck hunting so no issues bringing a few to change out.
I've been eying that - I really want a pair of Ridge pants in the bark color too.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Any update on the Gila? How's the sizing on it?
Sizing is true, all my hunting shirts are size large and this fits perfectly like all others. I posted on here somewhere a rundown on the different hot weather shirts that I have after I used most of them on a trip. The gila hoody performed as intended. The only noticeable difference for me was that my shoulder felt the heat of the sun on them more than all other shirts I wore that week, but I put that down to being the verde pattern and the darker color retaining more heat.

Lobo525

FNG
I much prefer the SG Chinook top over the Sitka Core LW for hot weather, I stay a bit cooler with the light merino. Just wish the Chinook had a hood and 1/4 zip like the Core LW

I've recently been eyeing the Chinook Hoody for hot weather. In your experience is the slightly heavier 170 GSM of the Chinook a drawback in warm weather over something like a 150 GSM FL Wick. Or is the heavier weight negligible?

I’ve been on this search pretty hard the last couple years. I’m a southern az bow hunter, out early season can easily be in the 110s.
The best I’ve found is a Columbia omnishade style button up with the mesh inside and big vents. Best in direct sun, drys quick, breaths well.
Kuiu Gila is pretty decent overall. Definitely cooler then my lightweight merino EXCEPT when in direct sunlight. The material gets warm, like most synthetics of this style. If there’s a breeze to dry sweat, the gila id my go to.gets stinky in a day.
Kuiu 125 is good if you’re in direct sunlight. Not as cool as the other 2, but still good. Holds sweat a lot more then the other 2, so feels soaked when sweating. Dosent get as much cooling effect with a breeze as the others. Dosent stink for days.
No matter which you use, a shemagh is invaluable! I drape one over me when I’m glassing all year long, but when it’s hot it’s ALMOST like sitting in shade even if you’re in direct sun. Absolutely the best $6 I ever spent