Best hunting scope Under 300 dollars

Like the title says I’m broke and need a decent scope for my new tikka it’s not gonna be a long range rifle as I’ve never shot over 140 yards but one day I might stretch that to 300 but I have no interest shooting farther than that at any animal. I’ve been looking at vortex, leupold, and athlon, and recently, bushnell. Let know what you think. Also buying used wouldn’t hurt my feelings thanks.

Rob5589

WKR
The SWFA 6x will probably be a common recommendation. Honestly, under 300 for what you want, pick one that fits your need and has a good warranty.

prm

WKR
I've had a Burris Fullfield II for many years that has always been reliable. Probably has well over a thousand rounds on a 338-06 and a lightweight 338 Fed. I've done numerous side-by-side glass comparisons with much more expensive scopes and it holds its own. Most recently I was choosing between this and my VX-3i 2.5-8 for a rifle, and after comparing in all conditions I felt the FF II performed a tiny bit better. And it has a much better reticle.
Edit: I also had a VX-2 (now VX Feedom) that served me well for many years. It did eventually give up and need the erector repaired, but that was after many years, many hunts, and thousands of rounds.

Last edited:
OP
T
Ok so i called @gr8fuldoug and he spoke pretty highly of the athlon but then I seen he had a Meopta optika5 and a leupold vx freedom all for about the same money I’ve heard really good things about meopta not much on athlon and heard leupolds quality is headed down so I’m wondering about these three thanks

I can't weigh in on athlon or the freedom line from leupold but of the three of those I'd spend my money on meopta. I have nothing but great things to say about the meopta products I have and doug/joel are the best in the biz.

Austink47

WKR
Leupold 3-9 x 40 would be a solid choice. A used vx2 should stay under budget. Or just call Doug at camera land if you want to buy new, he will take good care of you.

Horns

FNG
What does everyone think of the Sig Sauer scopes? I put a Whiskey 3 with the hellfire reticle on a CVA Scout 2 in 45/70 and like it

ChrisAU

WKR
Meopta Optika 5 or SWFA Fixed. The Optika 5 is outstanding IMO. Hard to find right now, but so are the SWFA’s. I have a 2-10x42 Optika 5 that I got new for just under $300.

You can't go wrong with the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm Rifle Scope. But I'd say pick the scope that has good warranty.

OP
T
Bump anymore experience with the Meopta optika 5 I’ve looked online but all I can find is people talking about the optika 6. Also any thoughts on the black diamond ul or ultra light.

I've had a Burris Fullfield II for many years that has always been reliable. Probably has well over a thousand rounds on a 338-06 and a lightweight 338 Fed. I've done numerous side-by-side glass comparisons with much more expensive scopes and it holds its own. Most recently I was choosing between this and my VX-3i 2.5-8 for a rifle, and after comparing in all conditions I felt the FF II performed a tiny bit better. And it has a much better reticle.
Edit: I also had a VX-2 (now VX Feedom) that served me well for many years. It did eventually give up and need the erector repaired, but that was after many years, many hunts, and thousands of rounds.
Burris FFII is a great scope.
I compared one SXS with a Leupold and the choice was easy.
mine has lived atop a Tikka 300WSM and it holds zero perfectly. Burris deserves more love than they get.

Ok so i called @gr8fuldoug and he spoke pretty highly of the athlon but then I seen he had a Meopta optika5 and a leupold vx freedom all for about the same money I’ve heard really good things about meopta not much on athlon and heard leupolds quality is headed down so I’m wondering about these three thanks
Call Doug back up and order the Meopta.