Best hunting scope Under 300 dollars

Like the title says I’m broke and need a decent scope for my new tikka it’s not gonna be a long range rifle as I’ve never shot over 140 yards but one day I might stretch that to 300 but I have no interest shooting farther than that at any animal. I’ve been looking at vortex, leupold, and athlon, and recently, bushnell. Let know what you think. Also buying used wouldn’t hurt my feelings thanks.

+1 Leupold

hbc07

FNG
What's everyone's thoughts on the Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50? It's on vortex's amazon store for $250.

Or the 3-9x40 for only $199?

What's everyone's thoughts on the Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50? It's on vortex's amazon store for $250.

Academy had them on closeout a year or so ago for under $100 bucks. I bought one. I doubt I'll ever mount it. For $150 a Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 beats it substantially.

manitou1

WKR
I have had four Burris FFII scopes for quite a while, and used the heck out of them. The ballistiplex reticle works great for holdover. Never had a problem with any of them. They now reside on rimfires as I went down the rabbit hole of more expensive glass... but sometimes wonder why.

260madman

WKR

They have a great warranty and you’ll probably need it. Razor or bust with Vortex.

Firehawk

WKR
Burris Fullfield II and a Leupold VX would be the two I would look at. My Fullfield is as reliable of a scope that I have ever had. Same with my old Leupold VX2.

Firehawk

WKR

We have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 on a 7mm-08. Optics are good. Seems to adjust well and we like the reticle. But that thing has the shortest eye relief I have ever experienced. Definitely not worth putting on a rifle that will kick. Maybe they have fixed that, as ours is several years old now, but man you have to put your eye right up there to get a good view. Leupold is terrific in this regard and the Burris Fullfield II has been a terrific scope for us for years. Just my .02 worth.

Not worth it. For that matter, anything under the Razor line I'd avoid like the plague. I personally have a 100% failure rate on their non-Razors, at least for anything purchased the past few years. This includes the Diamondback, Viper HS, and Viper HS LR lines.

Specifically to the Diamondback...
* Put a new Diamondback on a 6.5 CM. On the first shot one of the internal lenses came loose. Thought it was my contact lens so I took another shot. The internal lens moved more. Took another shot and the internal lens went horizontal. It is now collecting dust in the garage. Am too nice of a person to give/sell it to anyone.
* I do have an old (~5 years) Diamondback that was still going strong when I took if off (put a hand-me-down Razor LH on that rifle). I have another older Diamondback on a 223 that I use for predator hunting. It too is working fine.

Antares

WKR
See if you can find a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36mm. That's a nice little scope. I've seen them in the classifieds here, almost bought them just to have in the safe.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Like the title says I’m broke and need a decent scope for my new tikka it’s not gonna be a long range rifle as I’ve never shot over 140 yards but one day I might stretch that to 300 but I have no interest shooting farther than that at any animal. I’ve been looking at vortex, leupold, and athlon, and recently, bushnell. Let know what you think. Also buying used wouldn’t hurt my feelings thanks.
If you have any questions on our lineup, don't hesitate to reach out! Both our Diamondback and Crossfire II lines would fall in that price point. Based on the distances you are looking to shoot I would take a look at the 3-9x40 or 4-12x44 for your setup.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Not worth it. For that matter, anything under the Razor line I'd avoid like the plague. I personally have a 100% failure rate on their non-Razors, at least for anything purchased the past few years. This includes the Diamondback, Viper HS, and Viper HS LR lines.

Specifically to the Diamondback...
* Put a new Diamondback on a 6.5 CM. On the first shot one of the internal lenses came loose. Thought it was my contact lens so I took another shot. The internal lens moved more. Took another shot and the internal lens went horizontal. It is now collecting dust in the garage. Am too nice of a person to give/sell it to anyone.
* I do have an old (~5 years) Diamondback that was still going strong when I took if off (put a hand-me-down Razor LH on that rifle). I have another older Diamondback on a 223 that I use for predator hunting. It too is working fine.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Out of curiosity, do you know what type of rings you were using on that Diamondback where you had issues with the internal lens? Also, what torque value did you use on the ring screws and did you use any Loctite?

I also prefer Burris in this price range. They recently came out with their Fullfield IV line that is too new to judge, so I scrambled and bought a 3-9x40 FF E1 for my new Howa 30-06 (it came with a Nikko Stirling that I'll sell you cheap!) The E1's aren't being discounted anywhere, but it seems people are scooping them up before they're no longer available. There's actually one ending on Ebay in a couple hours if you hurry. Otherwise, I found one at scopelist the other day. Not sure if they have any left.

AM.

OP
T
Ok so if I had an offer for a vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 for 300 dollars with warne rings would you guys do that or go with a Meopta optika 5

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Crossfires I believe are made in China by the Chinese Communist Party. The CCP is not our friend. I refuse to support any company that promotes and sells products manufactured by the CCP.
I would search out a Leupold like the 6X with the 42MM objective, or the great Leupold 2.5-8x36mm.