Best jacket for single digit temps and wind

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Chime in with your best jackets for daytime temps in the single digits or low teens with wind. All day hunt to include hiking draw to draw and stationary glassing for a period.

Let's here it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m here in northern Minnesota right now getting ready for whitetail on Saturday. With the wind chill, the temps have been in the 0 to -5 Fahrenheit range all week. I wear the firstlite sanctuary bib pants with their sanctuary jacket over a base layer and vest. I’m warm as can be in that set up sitting still all day. It’s amazing.

Sitting and moving are two different beasts in those temps. Well, all temps. One jacket won’t do it. I’d go with a thick base, a fleece or softshell, a heavy down coat such as the Chamberlain or Montbell Permafrost for the stationary moments and shed layers for the active moments.

Puffy pants down below for sure.

*zap*

WKR
Kelvin down ws hoody with a uncomphagre jacket and uncomphagre vest. Size them so you can wear the vest over the jacket and the kelvin over both.

I wore my Uncompahgre in -13 temperature Wyoming last week. Moving it was fine over a down puffy. Hate to think about how I would have felt if sitting, but it was comfortable when on the move.

OP
S

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
For sure moving and sitting are two different animals for sure when the temps are that low. Need a mobile layering but also need that heay layer to put on while sitting and glassing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Klim Gore-Tex pro shell for no hood and Patagonia Gore-Tex hardhell (not sure what model I have it was $400 like 8 years ago) for with a hood. Whatever base layer and mid layers you want underneath. Not typical hunting brands but nothing I own can block wind like those two jackets. Both have pit zips so you can shed heat easily. The Patagonia is better for layering, it’s huge for a size large. In fact I wore my Patagonia, size large, over my FL Catalyst, FL uncomphagre puffy and a hoodie. The FL gear is all XL in size. I’d probably run a good base layer, poncho liner hoodie and the Patagonia shell for movement, then put on the puffy under the shell if I was stationary.
The Patagonia/Klim will get replaced for hunting stuff when I get myself either some Kuiu Yukon’s or FL SEAK rain gear.

Kotaman

WKR
Yeah...I agree ...You're not gonna hike comfortably and sit comfortably in the same clothes in those temps. Whatever you do, layering will be your friend.