Best Kifaru hunting pack

I am in the market for a pack, and I'm wanting a Kifaru. A little background, I currently run an icon pro 3200, and I love it as a day pack with the ability to haul meat. However, I want something a little more heavy duty. I tried on a Kifaru at a show recently and am sold on the frame and suspension. Choosing a pack however, is hard to do looking online at videos and pictures. If anyone has some real world knowledge they could drop on me for a hunting pack used primarily as a day hunter that can haul a big load of meat, with the ability to pack in for 3-5 nights as well please share. I've been attracted to the Reckoning, Mountain Warrior and AMR as possibles, but I worry about compression for day pack mode. Also Aaron's video with the cargo panel set up with pockets caught my attention. Thank you in advance for any feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hunting1

WKR
Man you are going to get a million answers on the "best"! I have had a few and settled for the Mountain Warrior since I prefer Panel Loaders. I have hauled camp, full black bear and meat, and elk quarters.

It folds flat for day hunts, and the big pocket on the front makes it easy to get what you need. My $.02

Lawnboi

WKR
My favorite day to extended pack is the fulcrum, main reason being in daypack mode I like the layout more than any of their other packs iv used. I haven’t used them all, and don’t plan to as the fulcrum is here to stay.

I wouldn’t overthink it, they all work, and if you don’t like it their newer bags move pretty quick in the classifieds.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
The great thing about kifaru is the customizing is endless. I ran a mtn warrior with organizer guide lid and in day pack mode I just compressed the pack all the way down and only used the front pocket on the pack and my lid pockets. didn't get in and out of the main one. That being said they all pack down nice for day hunting. Currently working on a new setup with the woodsman, hoping to do the same thing but with my OGL and sherman pocket so that in day pack mode I dont use the actual pack at all. With the lid, sherman, and 2 large pockets on the side, I could get 6 days worth of stuff easy. Also they are coming out with the hoodlum pack and I think its going to be around the same size of the ones you are looking at so it might be worth while to hold off

For what you want in a one bag do all for day hunting to 5 days in the field, the mountain warrior is going to be hard to beat. They have larger options. But, I don’t know what most guys are carrying that requires a bigger pack for 3-5 day hunts away from a base camp.

If you can live with a top load, a DT2 is hard to beat for the organization and ability to pack 5 days worth of stuff. Buy a meat shelf off of Pods8 and have a bag that can carry your camp and a quarter on the first trip out. If you can hack it. It compresses well too. Especially with a couple open ended female buckle in the right place.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll also add that depending on season, 5 days will eat up a 5k ci pack like nothing. Hence why I went big with the fulcrum. Adding accessories is a neat concept but IMO adds up on weight, and bulkiness when it’s easier to just get an appropriately sized bag to begin with

It’s all fun and games until you have meat on the ground and are in a hurry, that’s when the extra room really helps.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I would second the DT2, Duplex Timberline 2. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore so you would have to find one on the used market. Great bag! I've used one for the last several years and every year I think I'm going to change bags, none of the other options I like cover everything that the DT2 does.

The meat shelf with DT2 idea is a good one as well. I've been putting meat in the bag, but you would have a tough time doing that with a full bag during an extended trip.

I also run the fulcrum. Big enough for a 10 day hunt, folds into itself for day mode.

It's also great for when it's pouring rain. You have enough room to just cram everything into it without having to get everything "just so" to make it all fit.

Kinda like asking what truck is best. But, I run a reckoning with pockets, guide lid and grab it. Works great for me on short solo trips, up to ten days with a partner.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
That's my mountain warrior with no added side pockets. That thing is carrying a load of stuff in those pictures. Including a 12" cylinder stove and 22 rifle.
e5693fa176739b60a10e1c8b13dab73e.jpg
6f7e76a8cc46defa2c6942c31c8d0737.jpg
25cd2f035f93a92f3fb6be2ea8bf00c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

ErikM

FNG
I own a Mtn Warrior with guide lid and it’s a roomy pack with very user friendly features (panel loader and front pocket). I will say though after getting hands on it, I now understand why lots of guys say get the biggest pack you can and compress it down.....(One thing to note: I don’t have the latest and greatest ultralight gear)

Mudd Foot

WKR
Reckoning’s full length zip is hard to beat for ease of loading big/heavy items. Is also an accordion due to the 9 horizontal and 4 vertical compression straps.

OP
predatormode
Keep an eye out in the classifieds, there will probably be a few Reckoning's for sale now that the Hoodlum has been released..

That's a good point! I like the idea of the reckoning the most because of the load sling option, as well as a large 2 way full zip bag. It seems pretty versatile. I just don't want to overlook any of the other good options. Like the fulcrum, I never even considered it, but after a few videos and reviews, add it to the list... I guess the best advice isn't to overthink which one is best, and just get into one. I will keep a close eye on the classifieds and take the first one that pops up for a good deal, and maybe just look at getting the frame and suspension new. Thank you everyone that's taken the time to respond

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
Ive owned several big packs because I used to pack my meat in the bag but last year I ran a stone galcier solo 3300 and did 6 days out of it with a lid and I just bought a tahr to do the same thing....I liked the big bags but the simplicity and neatness of a small bag is my sweet spot. I don't bring anything extra for comfort though.

ridgefire

WKR
I have been using a dt2 with a guide lid and grab-it for the past few years now and have been really happy with it. If i end up buying another bag at some point it will probably be the Reckoning because of the meat shelf.