Best Kifaru setup for elk hunting

Bhatch

FNG
Looking for kifaru setup for elk hunting. Im going with the duplex frame but i dont know what bag setup i should go with. I want to be able to use it from day hunts to 5 or 6 day hunts.

OP
Bhatch

Bhatch

FNG
Also i meant to ask i most of you prefer a bigger bag or a smaller bag with add on guide lid and etc. Ive seen people use smaller bag with dry bag between it and frame with their camp. I dont know just seems like one big bag would be easier.

*zap*

WKR
I have an AMR on a SG frame, big as it gets and it is nice. I use a SG 6300 for whitetail day hunts. A good lid is nice for quick access items...

Wright406

WKR
I'm packed for 7 days solo in a reckoning. Layout is nice. I have a Stryker XL as well but I think it's annoying to have to unload my whole camp bag to get something whereas most their other packs offer a zipper of sorts for easy access

Attachments

• 20220917_154847.jpg
    20220917_154847.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 127

dlee56

WKR
I've used the reckoning, 44mag and Stryker xl. I use the Stryker xl most of the time because it's a great size for day trips which i do most often and can still comfortably pack out an elk. I'd recommend it.

I kept the reckoning because I think I'd prefer it if I was ever going to Alaska or somewhere where I'd need a lot of capacity for a big trip. The StrykerXL can handle the big loads well, but you can't substitute a bigger bag if your consistently handling larger loads.

I sold the 44mag, just too bulky and too many gadgets for me to justify making it my "everytime" elk hunting bag.

OP
Bhatch

Bhatch

FNG
Which large kifaru bag has the best organization?

dlee56

WKR
I agree with zap. I prefer an open tube bag with my own selection of pullouts and pockets arranged how I like. If you want a large bag with lots of built in organization look at the 44mag

*zap*

WKR
My amr with the lid has 3 external pockets. My SG 6300 I put an access bag on for some outside storage plus I use the Sg lid which can hold stuff. Then it has a side zipper and I have 3 of the hanging little bags SG sells (camp pockets?) right inside that zipper for small items.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Which large kifaru bag has the best organization?
Probably the Ma Duece as you have top pocket, two large side wing pockets. Since it’s a top mount big clam shell opening you can use the side compression straps to create “layers” in the bag. You also have endless options for pouches on pockets since it is covered in webbing to attach items. I used to have a Sherman pocket and large belt pouch on mine for long trips.

I’m partial to the Reckoning. I like how the zipper goes all the way up. Makes it a little nicer to get stuff in and out of the pack sometimes.

*zap*

WKR
AMR has a zipper to get into the sleeping bag area near the bottom. I may put an internal divider in mine to separate that area which would be use on demand similar to the usmc filbe.

AMR in compressed mode:

Last edited:

Scorpion

WKR
Incredibly helpful, give them a call.

I personally prefer a larger pack, I have a Muskeg which is about 7,000 ci and compresses down easily for day hunts from a spike camp. Easy to stuff extra layers in with the ability to haul the meat out. Used it last week in Alaska for goats.

Based on current offerings, I’d look into the Dall, Hoodlum, and Ma Deuce.

I run the Ma Deuce for however many days I plan for. The only thing that changes is spotter, tripod, and amount of food I take. I really like the organization, and it’s big enough no lid is needed. I run a Sherman on all of my packs, and it holds my bow for the hike in and out.

I thought the bag would be obnoxiously big, and I was waiting for my 44 Mag to show up when I found it for sale. I ended up selling the 44 Mag and keeping its big brother. I run a Stryker XL for day hunts though, and have considered the camp bag for hunts where I stay in a central camp and work out from there each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk