Best "knee pad" pants?

I was thinking about adding a pant with knee pads into my gear list, but wasn't sure if there are drawbacks (comfort, etc). Anybody have any experience with knee pad pants?

I like the hip vents of the kuiu pants so was leaning towards the pro pant and/or the talus not sure how much they overlap. How do these pants compare to other brands with knee pads? Or is there anaftermarket knee pad that is superior to these types of pants?

*zap*

WKR
Pants with knee pad pockets provide for a better knee pad than what is sewn on the kuiu's. You need the pockets to be in the correct place which takes some trying on.....short, regular length and long puts the pockets in different places. Crye Precision and some of the other very high end combat style pants have adjustments that allow positioning of the pocket vertically and a way to hold it in place horizontally. I like the Crye knee pads the best and they fit in my Sitka pants knee pad pockets.
Most of the less expensive military combat pants have knee pad pockets and that may be a good way to try some without laying out much money...I wear that type of pant for work/woods wear about 50% of the time.
I generally need a tall to get the pockets in the right place.....I am 6'.
IMO, the best 'over the pant' strap on style knee pad are Arcteryx knee cap protectors.

Last edited:
Sitka pants with knee pads in my size fit me perfectly and place the knee pads in the perfect place. I have not tried other brands, yet.

I have Sitka Timberlines. They have kneepads that are secure and perfectly placed for me. They are easily removable if you want to remove them (for washing the pants, or whatever).

Sitka pants work fine for me. I have used their stock knee pads or some aftermarket ones. I have a set of kuiu pro pants. They are everything I love about the attacks with a knee pad. They aren’t as plush as Sitka but it takes the edge off.

Arcteryx knee caps are the best external knee pads bar none. If you are looking to slip something on for a final stalk, they are the bees knees. This is, however, an advantage to the “always on” kind since you don’t always know when a stalk is going to happen.

87TT

WKR
I have Kryptek Valhala pants with the pocket that the foam kneepads can come out. They have Velcro straps to keep them in place. I love them. In hot weather, they can make your knee sweat a little but the pros outweigh the cons by a mile.

Beendare

WKR
I'm not a fan....what seems like a good idea...... but isn't.

The knees rub just a little bit and over many miles of hiking....it's an annoyance.
[FWIW, I have the sitka with the knee insert and the Kuiu]

______

twall13

WKR
My only experience is with the Sitka Timberlines. Most of the time I love them but they are little heaters on my knees so if it's not pretty cold I tend to sweat significantly more from them. That's the only downside for me as they fit well and don't bother me when hiking. It's really nice to kneel down anywhere without a worry. I've considered trying to find a replacement knee pad that has a bit more breathability that I can throw in the pant pad pockets but haven't done it yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chuck44

FNG
My only experience is with the Sitka Timberlines. Most of the time I love them but they are little heaters on my knees so if it's not pretty cold I tend to sweat significantly more from them. That's the only downside for me as they fit well and don't bother me when hiking. It's really nice to kneel down anywhere without a worry. I've considered trying to find a replacement knee pad that has a bit more breathability that I can throw in the pant pad pockets but haven't done it yet.

I remember seeing a post on here a while back where someone drilled several holes (around 1/2 inch I think) in the Timberline Knee Pads and he said that solution eliminated the sweaty knees.

twall13

WKR
I remember seeing a post on here a while back where someone drilled several holes (around 1/2 inch I think) in the Timberline Knee Pads and he said that solution eliminated the sweaty knees.
I've thought about doing the same thing, I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have some lingering sports injuries on both knees and hunt in a lot of really coarse granite mountains of the Sierra Nevada’s. The built in knee pads and “tough” material on both the knees and seat of the timberline pants from Sitka are unmatched in my opinion. Clutch piece of hunting equipment for me.

*zap*

WKR
The crye precision pads have a nice contour to them and may be more comfortable to wear. They make some with an additional plastic kee cap protector on top of the neoprene....I like them and they work on my Sitka pants, no problems.....

IMG_5410.JPGIMG_5411.JPG

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
With kuiu’s sale right now, I’d say go for the talus hybrids. Don’t think you can find a pair of new timberlines for that price anyways. Hip vents are a game changer and make one pair very versatile. Sold my timberlines and my apex pant to go to kuiu’s.

Love Timberlines for almost all hunting. Never an issue with the pads bothering me. Use the heck out of them. S
Decent pockets and zippers, though the snaps are pitifully weak (doesn't take much to pop them open).

twall13

WKR
The crye precision pads have a nice contour to them and may be more comfortable to wear. They make some with an additional plastic kee cap protector on top of the neoprene....I like them and they work on my Sitka pants, no problems.....

View attachment 178144View attachment 178145
Which model are you running? I can't quite tell from your photos but these have me intrigued for use in my Timberlines. They appear more vented than the ones I have and it might be nice to have an extra pair to play around with. I've looked at Kryptek's pads as well but these seem like a better product altogether.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Crye Combat pants. Had them for 7 years, WAY more durable than any Sitka and Kuiu (I have both brands too). I was issued them and used them on numerous SWAT callouts, backcountry horseback elk hunts, etc and they're still like new.