Best knee rubber boot for AK moose

Planning to wear hip waders with socks attached, if needed to cross water that goes over knee rubber boots then my understanding is you take the boots off and cross wearing just the socks?

That leads me to ask the question to everyone here... what's your go-to rubber/waterproof knee boot for Alaska? I've used Mucks and they're very comfy for hiking in the midwest deer hunting, keep me warm. But that upper "cloth" type layer tends to tear it seems and lowers the waterproofness from knee high to however high the tear is. I've heard good things about the Xtra Tuff but they're nowhere to be found near Omaha, NE to try on.

AKDoc

WKR
It's good that you are asking questions. The landscape of Alaska moose hunts is quite varied from hunt to hunt...not sure where you're generally going or how you're getting there from your post. It all makes a difference because there are some moose hunt areas where you live in your waders and others where you never need them or even knee high rubber boots.

Quick answer to your first question...no, don't do that...you need some kind of footwear when using your stocking-foot waders. Of course one could choose to put on stocking-foot waders without footwear and walk into the water to cross as you describe, but it's really not a good idea at all up here. Your footing would be very tenuous at best with a high likelihood of slipping and falling. There are also so many things that you could step on and puncture your neoprene socks, and then your waders become useless. You may also find yourself one day wearing your waders while you butcher-up the moose you shot because he ran and died in water over your knee high rubber boots...it happens. Bottom line, you really need some kind of footwear to put over your stocking-foot waders...there are many options for wader footwear...again, the choices depend on where you're going.

Regarding rubber boots, you'll likely get different perspectives from folks. Speaking just for myself, if I'm moose hunting in an area where my chosen daily footwear is going to be knee high rubber boots (at minimum), then I'm taking my LaCrosse boots. Mucks don't cut it for me...they just don't give me enough ankle support in tundra terrain, whereas the LaCrosse comparatively do. I've got the Alpha Burley Pro 800's, which also do pretty well at keeping my feet warm in September up here. Just be sure each night when you crawl into your tent to pull the sides down and remove the insole so that they can air out overnite, otherwise the moisture build-up will really reduce your foot warmth...at least it sure does for me.

Moose hunting in Alaska is an adventure...good on you for coming up to do it! Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
If you wore the much boots over your neoprene booties, wouldn’t the inside of the muck boot be wet later when you wanted to use them without waders? Muck boots would have been a camp shoe where we hunted last year, and not tall enough getting in and out of our rafts daily. That said we did hunt some areas hikable from camp that could have been doable with a muck boot.

OP
L
This will be a river hunt. And your points about taking boots off when crossing higher water make complete sense. Never worn waders in my life. This Midwest whitetail hunting is a walk in the park compared to AK! Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated

AKDoc

WKR
This will be a river hunt. And your points about taking boots off when crossing higher water make complete sense. Never worn waders in my life. This Midwest whitetail hunting is a walk in the park compared to AK! Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated
No worries guy...like I said, it's great you're asking for feedback. The only dumb question is the one not asked. I grew-up on a farm in the midwest before moving up here a long time ago...never wore waders before getting here, so I get it!

Given that you are doing a river hunt (and I'm assuming moving camp as you float, and hunting from/near the river)...I suggest that you consider the reality you will likely be in your waders for the day. That said, get yourself a comfortable pair of boots to wear over your stocking-foot waders each day...forget the Muck boots unless wt is not a factor. If you're wt restricted, then bring some warm and comfortable footwear to put on at the end of the day when you get out of your waders...it's a nice moment each day!

BTW...if a choice between chest waders and hippers on a float hunt...go chest waders.

Last edited:
"River hunt"...as in a float hunt, or stationary hunt in a riverine valley?

I have only hunted riverine valleys for moose for many years. My boots of choice (today) are the Lacrosse Alpha Burly models. DO NOT recommend any type boot using soft or neoprene upper for daily hunting, unless you're fanatical about keeping them protected from puncture. If wearing rubber boots or waders (any kind) all day, I suggest a complete sock change at lunch break. This is only to help prevent interior moisture vapor absorption by the boot linings, which leads to damp, cold boots. I change my socks (liner socks and outer socks) at noon every single day of the hunt.

If you're bowhunting for moose, lose the waders when stalking or waiting in ambush. I've yet to see a durable (enough) wader which is quiet (enough) to escape the ears of a moose at 20 yards.

OP
L
Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it! Definitely planning on being in chest waders almost every day. Got some real comfy ones already

OP
L
"River hunt"...as in a float hunt, or stationary hunt in a riverine valley?

I have only hunted riverine valleys for moose for many years. My boots of choice (today) are the Lacrosse Alpha Burly models. DO NOT recommend any type boot using soft or neoprene upper for daily hunting, unless you're fanatical about keeping them protected from puncture. If wearing rubber boots or waders (any kind) all day, I suggest a complete sock change at lunch break. This is only to help prevent interior moisture vapor absorption by the boot linings, which leads to damp, cold boots. I change my socks (liner socks and outer socks) at noon every single day of the hunt.

If you're bowhunting for moose, lose the waders when stalking or waiting in ambush. I've yet to see a durable (enough) wader which is quiet (enough) to escape the ears of a moose at 20 yards.
It is a river float hunt and with a rifle. I had the same thoughts you did about the soft uppers on boots, likely going to go a diff route especially after all this advice. Thanks!

mooster

WKR
I wore Simms G4's, very comfortable for all day hunting and was never aware of any noise. Paired w/Simms Flyweight boots:

waders, Simms G4
36​
wader boots, Simms size 12, 2 lb. 13 oz.
45​

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it! Definitely planning on being in chest waders almost every day. Got some real comfy ones already
Excellent...this is all new to you.

Now shop around for some wader boots....boots specifically designed to be worn over your stockingfoot waders. Be mindful of the sizing difference between your regular shoes/boots you wear now and wader boots, which are usually a full size larger...it's best to first try them on with your waders if you can, and keep in mind that they loosen-up when wet.

One last thing and then I'll leave you to it...get yourself a patching/repair kit for your waders and bring it. Alaska brush can be brutal on gear.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I live out of my Simms g3 waders and boots. I usually don’t take rubber boots with me, when I do, they are xtratuffs. I keep a pair of crocs for use around camp and a pair of neoprene wading socks which I keep dry in case I do need to hike a bit.