Best knive sharpner

OP
T
Best knife sharpner for backcountry and home and why

Sorry bout the spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
I use couple pieces of rhynowhet sand paper and a piece of side leather attached to a piece or corragtlate plastic with ranger bands. I have several courseness choices. I can just strop if i need to and it in total weighs like 1ounce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
Ill take pictures of it when i get home.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I use a spiderco sharpmaker at home. Keeps my pocket knives plenty sharp. Our kitchen knives are scary sharp. My wife warns her friends to be very careful.

I just change blades in the field.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I use couple pieces of rhynowhet sand paper and a piece of side leather attached to a piece or corragtlate plastic with ranger bands. I have several courseness choices. I can just strop if i need to and it in total weighs like 1ounce.

This is a great idea, especially for convex knives. I use the worksharp guided field sharpener when not at home. Has ceramic rods corse and fine. 20°angled guides for course and fine stone, leather strop and serrated/fishhook sharpener. Also has a spot for screwing in broadheads.

I just picked up a credit card-sized DMT diamond stone that I really like. I'll be carrying it in the field this fall. Until I got that, I used the red one of these hones: DMT Dia-Sharp Diamond Mini-Hone Kit
The credit card size is big enough you could touch up a hatchet as well. It's about double the thickness of an actual credit card, so a bit heavy, but I don't mind the weight if it allows me to keep my knife sharp no matter how much I use it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to carry a small field hone but ditched it for a Havalon, so no need for it anymore and the Havalon weighs about the same. At home I use a Lansky on my hunting knives and a Chef's Choice 120 on our kitchen knives.

Small Grobet file,ceramic rod ( toothbrush case keeps it from getting broken) and a small strop with compound will do knives and broadheads in the field, at home it's a steel, then ceramic rods ( can use the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup) for kitchen stuff. I have a Smiths pocket tool with carbides and a little hone but that's just a back up that rides in my pack.

i use a dmt deluxe aligner which allows one to adjust the bevel, a lansky turnbox system which allows for 20 and 25 bevels with 2 sets of ceramic rods (i see one can be had for 12.5 on ebay , Geez!) which puts a real nice edge.
I've got a couple Gossman steels , smaller dmt's in various grits and for convex, stropping with sandpaper then leather and compounds.
files and puck for hatchet
I like supers idea about using the toothbrush holder, i know I've got one of those sitting around..

rayporter

WKR
a 4 inch long ceramic rod in the field. at home i use a lansky.

santa brought me a worksharp but my good knives will never see it. it does work for the kitchen stuff well enough.

I use one of DMT duofold sharpeners that folds up like a butterfly knife. Coarse and fine diamond stones.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Outside of my Havalon, this is what I've used for the past few years. Super small, lightweight, and puts an edge on my old Gerber that rivals the Havalon too. Just lost it this winter, so I'll be buying a couple more. The credit card sizes one works just as well, but too big to carry around I think.

Redi-Edge(R) Knife Sharpeners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For home I use a Work Sharp Ken Onion model. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I used a Lansky for many years. The Work Sharp is so much faster it's silly. It puts an excellent edge on my Knives of Alaska knife.

I carry a small diamond steel in my pack

charvey9

WKR
I have a couple of pocket options that I can get a very good edge with. I sharpen a bit different than most, in that I prefer to take my stone/sharpener to the knife rather than run the knife across the stone. I get a better and more consistent angle that way and it works well for me. Probably because I play with axes more than knives, and learned to put an edge on an axe by taking the file or stone to the axe.

So, for that reason I like small stones that are easy to hone against the edge. These are both good cheap and lightweight options to put in your pack. The india stone is a little easier to grip and also works well to polish an axe edge.

Amazon.com: Diamond Pocket Sharpener: Home Improvement

Norton India Sharpening Stone Square 6 x 1/2 x 1/2 Fine

I've used a Spyderco Tri-Angle sharpmaker at home, witch can get great results if you can keep a consistent angle. I just stepped up to a Wicked Edge field and sport, but still waiting for delivery and can't review quite yet.

Wicked Edge Field and Sport | Wicked Edge

I use one of these for my keyring, and it also gets a serviceable edge. Works good for filet knives when cleaning birds / fish on the tailgate.

CRKT(R) MICRO TOOL & KEYCHAIN SHARPENER™

Last edited:
The Absolute best sharpener you can get for home at a reasonable price is the KME system. Far superior to DMT and Lansky systems. Beyond KME you are looking at big $$$ like Wicked Edge. STAY away from the carbide tooth sharpeners you draw your blade through. Absolutely horrible for a knife blade. The Work Sharp Ken Onion can ruin a blade in a split second if not used properly and with practice.