Best land navigation reading material?

What are y’all’s recommendations for best land navigation books/reading material out there?

Cuahitl

FNG
out of the two I’ve read I really like this one.

Drenalin

WKR
I recommend an in-person or video tutorial. Maybe it's just me, but this is one of those things you need to learn hands on. I'm pretty good with a map and compass, but when I was teaching it this summer the reading material was confusing as hell. When I put down the book and got the tools in my hands I was good to go. The people I was teaching picked it up much better when we got out of the classroom too.

Hoodie

WKR
Are you talking old school basics like lensatic compass, protractor, dead reckoning type stuff?

If so any of the various military manuals are all you'd need. Should be able to find them relatively cheap if not free.

OP
T
Are you talking old school basics like lensatic compass, protractor, dead reckoning type stuff?

If so any of the various military manuals are all you'd need. Should be able to find them relatively cheap if not free.
Was hoping there might be something that teaches the oldest basics and shifts into anything newer/modern as well

I have several land navigation books and this one is my favorite for explaining things like declination, triangulation, dead reckoning, baselines, handrails, etc. easily with lots of diagrams. It is not dry like a lot of reprinted military manuals that just cover lensatic compasses and don't address how to use baseplate and mirror sighting compasses. The book also covers emergency navigation without a compass. For a GPS, that technology changes so fast I would think that a Garmin website would be better than anything dated a few years in a book.