Best Leupold Dial Scope for the $$

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Looking for advice on a solid Leupold dial scope to put on a Tikka t3 300 wsm. Looking to keep cost down on this rig. Not married to Leupold, but it's what I'm seeing is the best on it's class?

Thanks!

Krushrr

FNG
I just picked up a Zeiss conquest v4 3-12x44 with 20 plex reticle, they are SFP....alot of scope for 699 imo. I don't twist knobs much but the adjustments seem pretty darn "nice", very solid compared to any Leupold I handled. VX3's and VX5HD's....just got it sighted in yesterday. Rem 700 mtn rifle, 280 Rem using Warne steel bases and horizontal maxima rings.... pretty solid imo

Bater

WKR
Razor LHT 3-15 or Zeiss V4 4-16, much like the Leup VX5/6 except they’ll track and RTZ properly when dialing

Since you’ve asked specifically about a Leupold and on your 300wsm, I would recommend the VX5-Hd in the 3-15 with you choosing the objective, though the 44 is probably the best return for its weight. I personally haven’t had any tracking issues whatsoever and I’ve very happy with this scope. Just my .02

Krushrr

FNG
The VX5hd duplex I had for awhile was the 2-10×42. Again, I'm not a dialer. So probably don't listen to me. My friend has the newer v4 4-16×44. Does a great job, and has great features....but then your in the $1000 range I believe. I guess my angle was most scope for the money and the basic plex v4 3-12×44 is nice. Just alot crisper adjustments in my opinion... I did pay $525 for the vx5hd so...

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Thanks all for the suggestions. I would like to keep this scope below or near $500. I know that's on the cheaper end, bit that's what I'm working with.

wyosam

WKR
Hunting rig I assume? If you want dial under $500, a fixed power SWFA is pretty tough to beat, or if you’re patient you can get either the 3-9hd or the 3-15 used. Both are great scopes, with years of reliability data. I’ve heard some of the newer companies are making some similar scopes, but I have no first hand info. At that price point, you can’t have it all. If you want to dial and hunt with it, reliability has to be priority #1. They are damn good scopes, and a great value. I have a bunch of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Good info. Very much a hunting rig. I already shoot a sako in the same caliber. Got a fair deal on this one to add for my boys to use.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
i tested out the VX5HD in a 2-10x42. It was great for the money and although i didn't test out the dials on the other Leopold's i owned, after testing this one i would absolutely buy one of them again.

Krushrr

FNG
i tested out the VX5HD in a 2-10x42. It was great for the money and although i didn't test out the dials on the other Leopold's i owned, after testing this one i would absolutely buy one of them again.
My dilema with the the 2-10x42 VX5-HD was trying to focus the scope for 50 yds at 2 power then jumping to 10 at 100 yds. I'm very confident in knowing how to focus a riflescope and in my sample I always was re focusing for different powers specifically on either end. In my opinion it needed a side focus/parallax adjustment....that was my experience anyways. Again, I don't dial. Sighting in this model was no problems and it did track very good for me doing this, The scope is nice and compact and pretty light though...

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
My dilema with the the 2-10x42 VX5-HD was trying to focus the scope for 50 yds at 2 power then jumping to 10 at 100 yds. I'm very confident in knowing how to focus a riflescope and in my sample I always was re focusing for different powers specifically on either end. In my opinion it needed a side focus/parallax adjustment....that was my experience anyways. Again, I don't dial. Sighting in this model was no problems and it did track very good for me doing this, The scope is nice and compact and pretty light though...

i will agree with you for the most part, but it depends on how good the glass is s as well. Pretty much cheaper you go the more parallax becomes relevant. My current S&B klassik 3-12x42 I have no issues with distance and magnification range. Noted saying at high magnification at closer than 25 yards is bad but it isn’t great but farther out it’s perfect running magnificent higher. My experience with the 2-10 vx5HD was similar but it isn’t bad and perfectly manageable. Now if you take my PMii 10x42 fixed, I am amazed that no parallax adjustment is needed from 20 yards to infinity. Back to the leupold I do wish parallax adjustment was more common on the lower 3-9, 2-10, 3-12 etc optics. I mean why not if the scope is pretty much a grand make it have features for that cost so your wishing for something else

Krushrr

FNG
Good point....comes down I guess how much a person wants to spend. My vx3 2.5-8×36 is such a nice little scope for $400. Now I wouldn't dial regularly with a vx3 but thats me. I'm sure it's been done many a time by others. But back to my original post, this is why the Zeiss v4 3-12×44 for $699 is pretty sweet in my opinion. The focus problems, for me, are pretty much non existent and a nice basic plex. The one S&B I ran for 3-4 years was in the late 90's. It was a fixed 4×36 steel tube with a 4a style reiticle. I believe that's a #7 for S&B. $400 brand new!!!! And I traded it.....what a mistake. The trend was fixed 4 or 6 power and the 4a type reticle started to get going in the states it seemed. It was always around but everywhere I read they were touting it. And for good reason. I had this bullet proof scope on a Rem model 7 in .308. Excellent for swamp and creek bottom areas. Did perfect on driven and close shots.

Last edited:

Krushrr

FNG
Plus the Zeiss, although not dialing, has very good positive adjustments compared to the vx3 and vx5hd. The original 1" zeiss conquest made by meopta was better than the leupolds, with the v4 being the best of what i've owned. (Feel wise)

I’m digging the meopta optika 5 4-20x50. Under $500, turrets are short and not exposed but do the job well. Not a PRS scope but for long range hunting and plinking it’s awesome.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I’m digging the meopta optika 5 4-20x50. Under $500, turrets are short and not exposed but do the job well. Not a PRS scope but for long range hunting and plinking it’s awesome.
$411 and change or less depending on model at Sport Optics with code EURO16

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to get into a Sightron S-TAC within your price range. The FFP models with zero stop are under $600. The others are under $500. Im not a fan of the MH-2 reticle but if you dont mind thin you might like it. Ive got the 3-16x42 in duplex.

Im seeing the Bushnell Tac Ops 6-24x50 LRS mildot being blown out at $565 or less