Best Lightweight Bipod for Backpack Hunt

Jakeweb09

WKR
Forgot to add my set up is under 2lbs. And that is both my shooting rest and glassing set up

As shown in this post using your tripod is the best way I’ve found. I use the suriu tripod with a suriu ball head. It’s what I use for all my glassing needs and I also have a area 419 arca rail attached to the center of all my rifles. I pop off my Binos and slap on the rifle. I can shoot prone all the way to almost a full stand with no issues. Took my deer like that this year at 430 yards steady as a rock. Bipods are awesome for a bench but for versatility in the mountains the tripod set up is hard to beat.

thank you for the suggestion; it’s not going to work with my hunting style. I’m sure its a good platform for some. But in 90 percent of my cases I don’t have time or ground to support the setup of a tripod. That’s like Hollywood meat eater stuff, real life hiking 8 miles to get close to an animal; solo; I’m skeptical. I ended up going with a 13-30 inch carbon fiber bipod, should get me set. Cheers all for your support and suggestions
The lightest bipod I know of is the Spartans. I had one, and my BIL has two (after I sold him mine!). They are very well built and very light.
Yea I’m looking at 30 inches five or take. Harris are nice, but 3.5 lbs is a bit much when I have a heavy scope and rifle. I don’t have the cash for. A true light weight western hunting rifle. I’ll make due fine, just looking for a light, tall, reliable bipod, pack won’t cut it for where I hunt. I’ll look into the Spartan, thanks brother

The hatch bipod is where it’s at. Low enough for the lowest prone shot, but extends enough for sitting on a downhill slope. It’s fast to set up and adjust..and quiet.

TFrank

WKR
I currently have a Harris "S" with notched legs in 9-13". It is great for the bench, but not quite tall enough for me to get into comfortable positions in the field, so looking at getting something in that 12-25" range. I am 5'10"

While I am at it and before I purchase, does anyone have any recommendations on alternate manufacturers that I should be looking at?

Spartan precision javelin bipod this year. So far so
I currently have a Harris "S" with notched legs in 9-13". It is great for the bench, but not quite tall enough for me to get into comfortable positions in the field, so looking at getting something in that 12-25" range. I am 5'10"

While I am at it and before I purchase, does anyone have any recommendations on alternate manufacturers that I should be looking at?
Someone already mentioned it, Spartan precision are cool

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
thank you for the suggestion; it’s not going to work with my hunting style. I’m sure its a good platform for some. But in 90 percent of my cases I don’t have time or ground to support the setup of a tripod. That’s like Hollywood meat eater stuff, real life hiking 8 miles to get close to an animal; solo; I’m skeptical. I ended up going with a 13-30 inch carbon fiber bipod, should get me set. Cheers all for your support and suggestions

Yea I’m looking at 30 inches five or take. Harris are nice, but 3.5 lbs is a bit much when I have a heavy scope and rifle. I don’t have the cash for. A true light weight western hunting rifle. I’ll make due fine, just looking for a light, tall, reliable bipod, pack won’t cut it for where I hunt. I’ll look into the Spartan, thanks brother
A bipod if you keep it on the gun can be used for really quick shots inside 350ish that beat out a tripod, but are they really that quick?

Tripods might not fit your style. But, it's not Hollywood stuff, practice makes it much faster than most people imagine. I have carried my tripod everywhere in the last few years.

Do you already carry a tripon? Can you just use two legs of your tripod? One leg shortened up and facing back can be a quick way to set up just like a bipod for most shots.

My favorite tripod position is a down hill slope with two legs downhill and one leg straight back into the hill. I use the straight back leg for rear supoort and can shoot as accurate as prone.

Every time someone has gotten behind a tripod, they are surprised how fast, versatile and useful a tripod is. I can't think of many positions or ground that, I couldn't use a tripod.

A bipod if you keep it on the gun can be used for really quick shots inside 350ish that beat out a tripod, but are they really that quick?

Tripods might not fit your style. But, it's not Hollywood stuff, practice makes it much faster than most people imagine. I have carried my tripod everywhere in the last few years.

Do you already carry a tripon? Can you just use two legs of your tripod? One leg shortened up and facing back can be a quick way to set up just like a bipod for most shots.

My favorite tripod position is a down hill slope with two legs downhill and one leg straight back into the hill. I use the straight back leg for rear supoort and can shoot as accurate as prone.

Every time someone has gotten behind a tripod, they are surprised how fast, versatile and useful a tripod is. I can't think of many positions or ground that, I couldn't use a tripod.
Hey thanks for the rely, some things to think about for sure, I wonder if there is a place to try one out. I’m stuck in my ways, not sure I would want to make a change that big without getting my hands on one. I’ll have to do some research, thanks for your time in replying. Cheers

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey thanks for the rely, some things to think about for sure, I wonder if there is a place to try one out. I’m stuck in my ways, not sure I would want to make a change that big without getting my hands on one. I’ll have to do some research, thanks for your time in replying. Cheers
If you already have a tripod, throw a sandbag or shooting bag on top of it. You can get the feel for it before going mounted. Lots of guys shoot like this from the PRS. And, inside 400 yards, this is as good as you need. Nothing special about the tripod, just a cheap Amazon carbon fiber and ballhead.

PM me, I may be able to help a little.

But, to follow up in the public thread, explain what you are dealing with, I will explain how I would use my tripod, or tell you it won't work. It isn't perfect... sometimes shooting sticks or a bipod are better.

20181012_102025.jpg

Modern evolution bipod is adaptable and works well for us. Used mostly for Coues and elk. I like the longer legs in the tall grass.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Packs don’t work when you’re standing on a 40% slope of a canyon, facing down slope, but the animals are upslope from you. Maybe on flatland, where I hunt,
There is noooo flat land. But thanks for the input.
Put the pack between your legs. Lie down flat head uphill and place the rifle on the pack to get upward shot while you lie flat. Or pull the bag in to your chest while lying head uphill and use it to help brace front hand for sitting shot. Hug the bag to give more stability if you want. It's easier to try it out and do some dry firing than explain.

I shoot steep country and almost never works well for a bipod even if it's really tall. I was out this past week shooting in country with 20-40 degree slopes on wallabies out to 600m+ and not using a bipod. They are too slow to setup vs. using the bag or sling supported sitting if you can get the angle. I have a Javelin carbon bipod that is very light but never use it now.

I used the Wiser during bear season and the Hatch Outwest during Elk. Both were awesome. Prefer the Hatch on steep angles since it’s attached to the stock and you can load it a bit more.

Dobermann

WKR
The new Spartan Javelin Pro Hunt is a good upgrade from their original Javelin ... just used one at a local comp in a 'long range' event (actually not really that long) just to see what happened, and took second place ... it wouldn't be a good option for bashing around in PRS-style comps (and has some slop, so not really applicable to long range, IMHO), but for being able to mount and detach quickly, and for a lightweight hunting rig, it's a very good option.