Best Lightweight Trekking Poles?

Cascade mountain poles on amazon , like $40. Someone on here recommended them so I bought a pair. Worked really well so far, over 60 miles with one and no issues. You can find lighter ones but you will pay 3x more at least.

brous8732

FNG
I’ve been pretty happy with my Black Diamond trail series aluminum poles, but would definitely recommend checking out their carbon poles for more weight savings.

Kotaman

WKR
Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ - 12.7 oz.

But "light" and "won't fail me" may contradict each other. Typically these light poles aren't really durable. If I'm somewhere where my life depends on my poles, I don't worry much about weight.

Last edited:
Leki - light, tough, great locking system, and to me the best grips in the industry (makes a big difference after many hours on the mountain)

turley

Lil-Rokslider
For years I've used a set of Gossamer Gear LT4 adjustable trekking poles and couldn't be happier.

Decker9

WKR
This was my second set of BD flz’s, had them replaced with the alpine carbon cork’s, which have been a great pole so far.

Attachments

• 697FF94E-41A1-4F8A-820F-E3F2F95D7577.jpeg
    697FF94E-41A1-4F8A-820F-E3F2F95D7577.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 56

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Cascade Mtn poles last year and upgraded to the Leki Legacy poles. One of the biggest differences to me was how much noise the Cascade Mtn. poles made compared to the Leki poles.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a pair of BD’s carbon z poles- great lightweight poles, but would never consider using them hunting- simply too great a risk of snapping one

I purchased a pair of their Alpine Z poles for hunting (and snowshoeing/bc skiing)- much more robust, a weight penalty for sure, but they are still pretty light. They also come with both trekking and snow baskets

Another vote for S&S archery poles. Have couple thousand miles on mine. Have had my horse step on one and didn’t phase it. Only problem Ive had was one of the twist to tighten inserts came loose and had to re-glue it. Really like how fast you can adjust height on them. Can go from hiking length to sitting and using one to steady my 12x50 in a second. Beats pulling my tripod out for every little spot I want to glass.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have used various black diamond versions for a long time now....for fun grabbed the Costco ones EAA9170A-0769-49B7-8347-4D248A550418.pngthinking they would fail quickly ran them all of October and November and still going strong....this type of gear if used a lot will eventually fail but for the money can say these work👍

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the Gossamer Gear LT3 fixed-length poles which I prefer over adjustable poles. They weigh nothing, have supported my full weight several times when I almost fell, and are a simpler design than the adjustable ones.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Gossamer Gear LT3 fixed-length poles which I prefer over adjustable poles. They weigh nothing, have supported my full weight several times when I almost fell, and are a simpler design than the adjustable ones.
Interesting I've never used a set that didn't adjust so don't have a comparison.
I always shorten mine on steep climbs and lengthen them on the descents, seems much more comfortable than having to use your arms to account for the difference.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider

I have a pair of the LT3s as well and greatly prefer them over my LT4s for hiking.....though the LT4s being adjustable are more convenient when setting up tarps/shelters with trekking poles.

Rokwiia

WKR
I was always of the opinion that a structural adjustment point on what already is a thin carbon-fiber pole would be inclined to fail at some point. Always at the wrong time too. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption but I didn't want to test that theory.

I'd never go back to an adjustable pole unless I was determined to use them several different backpacking tents. Even in that case, I prefer separately buying poles for the tent and most, like ZPacks and TarpTent, offer that as an option.