Best lite weight Anti Bear food storage for back pack hunting...

ChadH

FNG
So an area I am seriously considering for Archery Elk this year is Big Time full of Black Bears. Aside from making sure I have a tag for one, what is your best lite weight system or solution for Bear Proofing camp and food. I'm talking above and beyond the normal 'Keep everything cleaned up and not in your tent' stuff. At the Western WA sports show this week I saw a guy selling "bear proof cans" as a backpacking item... well it weighed a stinking ton and was pretty huge, so thats out of the question to me, but did make me think... what say you all?

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Like Lawnboi, I use a waterproof stuff sack and paracord. I'll add that I then hang the stuff sack from a small tree limb (up 12 feet or so) and a few yards from the nearest tent. Also, I try and keep as much of the food as possible in Zip-lock bags.

blb078

WKR
how far do a lot of you keep your food from your tent? I see Biggs keeps his a few yards away is that the norm? I've heard some say keep it 100 yards away. Curious what is enough and what is a little to much.

Beastmode

WKR
how far do a lot of you keep your food from your tent? I see Biggs keeps his a few yards away is that the norm? I've heard some say keep it 100 yards away. Curious what is enough and what is a little to much.

About 50 to 100 yards downwind which is usually downhill with nighttime thermals.

Ray

WKR
If you are in treeless alpine and still have bears due to some kind of a berry - or lack of berry - crop then the plastic containers from REI work well. The Garcia one I have seen tested with zoo bears and it works fine. Make sure your knife works on the screws or keep a quarter in your pocket.