Best Long range caliber?

Zappaman

WKR
Savage stainless Axis II XP Creedmoor... 6.2 lbs. Mine tops out at 7lbs with a lighter scope (before ammo).
It's plastic, yes. I LIKE that it's not a "pretty expensive gun" and so I don't mind taking it out in bad weather, pushing brush with it, and just USING it like I need to in any scenario. I've owned several, and find I pass my 700s up when grabbing a gun to hunt with the last few years.

Good price too (especially if you catch a sale/rebate- mine ran $400 last Black Friday). Toss the scope it comes with, put on GOOD glass and shoot as far as a 6.5 bullet will kill whatever you are after. It WILL shoot MOA (often better- ALL mine have the last 10 years).

johnsd16

WKR
Long range, 500yds and 6lbs really isn’t saying much. You can shoot 600yds with pretty much any standard caliber 6.5 or over and be good on energy for deer. Long range, say 600-1000 it would advisable to look at magnums. To get serious for 1000+, 30 cal magnums and up and over 1200 the big magnums, 338lm, 375ct, 375en, 408ct…

OP
R
Long range, 500yds and 6lbs really isn’t saying much. You can shoot 600yds with pretty much any standard caliber 6.5 or over and be good on energy for deer. Long range, say 600-1000 it would advisable to look at magnums. To get serious for 1000+, 30 cal magnums and up and over 1200 the big magnums, 338lm, 375ct, 375en, 408ct…
Awesome thank you for the response. Great info👍🏽

Mosby

WKR
If I got a new rifle, it would be in a caliber that I could get ammo, brass and bullets for. Some calibers are easier than others. There can also be a big price difference between calibers on ammo, brass etc.,
I would do some research and take that into consideration before I bought anything. JMO.

I came here to post 7 SAUM and now that I see your quarry 6.5 CM is your answer.

How is this even a question? It’s not like you haven’t heard of it… As much crap as it gets, it’s popular for a reason.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d like to go on a coues deer hunt myself, I’ve been looking into it and hopefully going in the next year or so. I plan on taking my 6.5 creedmoore.

Long range deer I’m looking at a .257wm myself as I’m also looking at a future pronghorn hunt. Pigs I like a little heavier bullet, though a .257 would do it. I have had good results with my .280 which is also my go to deer rifle. I am just really interested in messing around with a real flat shooter like the .257 and I like goofy old stuff over the trendy new. I suppose shot placement and bullet selection really is key since most “big game” calibers are plenty capable at that range. .264 has been mentioned and awesome but 7mm08 would also be on my radar. Again, with the right bullet and good shooting there’s no wrong choice, so ammo/reloading component availability nowadays is probably most important.

A T3X (stainless) in 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 or 270 Win will work very well for you. Doesn’t matter if it’s the Lite or SuperLite.

Any of the three will work just fine on your listed species and will get you well past 500 yards ballistics perspective for hunting.

WCB

WKR
500+ out to??????? I talk to guys everyday that want to shoot long range and they make the same statement then I ask well what is your max range...they might say 700...ok that opens up more options than 1200 yards.

Then they inquire about recoil...ok???? that adds another dimension. Tell us more.

Jbehredt

WKR
Says no to .264 and then thumbs up a 6.5 LOL. Somebody needs to do their homework.

Guy at the gun store told him a .264 is too light for big game. Maybe antelope inside 300 Maybe. The 6.5 however is ideal for deer and even elk. Believe the guy was even a veteran, or from a military family based on some stickers on his truck so he probably knows his shiz.