Best Long range caliber?

Bear2022

FNG
Long range go old school with 300 win mag if you want more bullet availability but if you want to squeeze little more performance out of a 30 cal go 300 prc. Granted both of these will kick more than a 6.5.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how far I have to carry it…

if weight doesn’t matter, an AI in 300 Norma with a Schmidt and Bender 5-25.

If weight matters…and I don’t have 10k…I can easily reach 500 with a 270 or 300 WSM in most factory rifles.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
What is the point of trying to shoot game at 700 yards? Is it really necessary? What would your first round hit percentage be at 700 yards with unpredictable wind speeds possibly coming from multiple directions? This leads to wounded game.

hflier

WKR
What is the point of trying to shoot game at 700 yards? Is it really necessary? What would your first round hit percentage be at 700 yards with unpredictable wind speeds possibly coming from multiple directions? This leads to wounded game.

Depends on your understanding of ballistics, your system and skill. Some guys are great at 100 and some are great at 700 or more. There is no correct answer. Only a correct answer for each person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would wager a pretty penny that more animals are wounded at “traditional” distances, for archery/muzzleloader/rifle, than at extended distances.

Are you equally upset for all wounded game or only those who are wounded at distances that you don’t agree with?

Flyjunky

WKR
You do realize you're on a long range forum?

I know people who I would rather see take a shot at 700 than most people who take shots at running animals. How come we never hear about that in these discussions? Have you taken shots at running game?

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Ohhh, this is the longe range forum? Man you guys are quick to pounce. I just felt like stirring the pot a little, chill out. Carry on with your undersized caliber suggestions.

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
6.5-300 WHBY and call it a day…I find no difference in a 6,7,8 lb rifle just do some pushups and lightened up other areas of your pack.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
What would your first round hit percentage be at 700 yards with unpredictable wind speeds possibly coming from multiple directions?

I've often thought of this - what are my real limits. A qualification test:

Let's pick 700 yards.
Go out to the range on 5 seperate days - so conditions are different.
Take you first shot of the day at 700.
Hit - great, now make that hit the following four days and you are good to go.
Miss - move in 100 yards and start over tomorrow.

I haven't done it yet, but may give it a go.

I do not seek out long range opportunities, but have had some. Logest game taken for me is 460ish. I have not tried any further than that.

As far as best caliber - need to know the limits of your gear and bullet performance and set your max there. A 6.5 magunum type for waaay out there, but most 'normal' cartridges will do the trick.

Which model?
Looks like they’ve got all kinds of new models. Mine is the Hells Canyon Speed; it’s got the 26” barrel with 1/8 twist and a brake. I wanted another caliber at first but stuck with this since I have another 7RM and a pile of brass for reloading. Shooting those heavier bullets is badass tho. I think this might be the one... cost me around $1200. Highly recommended.

woods89

WKR
I've often thought of this - what are my real limits. A qualification test:

Let's pick 700 yards.
Go out to the range on 5 seperate days - so conditions are different.
Take you first shot of the day at 700.
Hit - great, now make that hit the following four days and you are good to go.
Miss - move in 100 yards and start over tomorrow.

I haven't done it yet, but may give it a go.

I do not seek out long range opportunities, but have had some. Logest game taken for me is 460ish. I have not tried any further than that.

As far as best caliber - need to know the limits of your gear and bullet performance and set your max there. A 6.5 magunum type for waaay out there, but most 'normal' cartridges will do the trick.
I think very few people would string 5 first round hits together. Most people might not get it done at 400.

I have no problem with people taking long shots, as long as they honestly evaluate their abilities. But I do believe that out of all the people shooting at distances over 300-400 yds only a few are actually qualified.