Best long range hunting rifle and scope for $1500?

5peataz

FNG
I know this has probably been asked before but want to see what opinions are. I’m looking for the best long range hunting rifle and scope for a $1500 budget. Curious what other guys think. Also what people think on whether to go cheap on the rifle and more on the scope of vice versa. Any feedback is appreciated thanks!

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Man, there’s a lot of good choices. I’d say if it were me and I didn’t hand load, I’d probably go with a weatherby vanguard and depending on how well I handled recoil would decide what caliber. Probably just go with a vortex scope and be done. Soo many good choices. I just have seen my brother have extremely good luck with that combo. My personal favorite is the 6.5-300. Premium weatherby ammunition for it would be 130 sirrocos

I know this has probably been asked before but want to see what opinions are. I’m looking for the best long range hunting rifle and scope for a $1500 budget. Curious what other guys think. Also what people think on whether to go cheap on the rifle and more on the scope of vice versa. Any feedback is appreciated thanks!
In my opinion getting a reliable scope that tracks accurately is the most important part of any LR setup.
The Busbnell LRHS/LRTS scopes are legendary in their dependability, you won't find a better scope in this price range
https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html

You can get a factory rifle to shoot good, however there will be some things you'll want to upgrade as you gain experience.
For that reason I'd recommend a Tikka t3 in 7mm RM, I've taken one to 1k in the factory configuration.
Down the road you could upgrade it with a pillar bedded CF stock for about $600, you could get a prefit barrel throated and twisted for high bc bullets in 7 saum, 7wsm, 300wsm, etc.. for under $400.
The trigger is pretty damn nice and can be made even better with a $10 five minute sear spring change.
In my opinion there isn't another affordable factory rifle currently available that has the kind of quality and precision you'll get from a tikka

Zappaman

WKR
Man, there’s a lot of good choices. I’d say if it were me and I didn’t hand load, I’d probably go with a weatherby vanguard and depending on how well I handled recoil would decide what caliber. Probably just go with a vortex scope and be done. Soo many good choices. I just have seen my brother have extremely good luck with that combo. My personal favorite is the 6.5-300. Premium weatherby ammunition for it would be 130 sirrocos
I agree...

As gun smiths cost as much as a new rifle for a re-barrel lately... I finally sold off my older 700 which killed several elk out to 600 yards since 1990 (*when I bought it used with an unknown round count). It was still shooting good when I sold it, but the though of a first "flier" on an important hunt started to nag at me.

Since I have a lifetime supply of brass, bullets, and RL-26 powder I stayed with the 7mm RM buying the Vanguard in the "Weatherguard" model. About 10 lbs scoped and loaded AND with a 26" barrel, it's built for long range shooting and has an TWO YEAR MOA guarantee. I put a "safe queen" Weaver Grand Slam on it for about $350 (with the Talley scope mount).

So closer to $1000 and guaranteed to shoot MOA for two years... I'm happy.

Tikka 300 WSM or 6.5 PRC, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA scope. It's become cliche on here, but for that price range it works.
Mine is a 300 WSM, I put it together (plus a stock and some other parts) last summer. I've punched 5 tags with it from 300 to 1170 yards, and I'd put it up against any high dollar rifle (I've owned those too, and will own more).
The above isn't theory, it works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I agree...

As gun smiths cost as much as a new rifle for a re-barrel lately... I finally sold off my older 700 which killed several elk out to 600 yards since 1990 (*when I bought it used with an unknown round count). It was still shooting good when I sold it, but the though of a first "flier" on an important hunt started to nag at me.

Since I have a lifetime supply of brass, bullets, and RL-26 powder I stayed with the 7mm RM buying the Vanguard in the "Weatherguard" model. About 10 lbs scoped and loaded AND with a 26" barrel, it's built for long range shooting and has an TWO YEAR MOA guarantee. I put a "safe queen" Weaver Grand Slam on it for about $350 (with the Talley scope mount).

So closer to $1000 and guaranteed to shoot MOA for two years... I'm happy.
It’s really hard not to suggest the 257 weatherby. Just feel it could lead to an addiction. Weatherby makes plug n play hunting setups. Not really meant for target but if you hand load they definitely can be used for recreational purposes as well

I had to shop around but I have a bergara wilderness in 300wm topped with a leupold vx5 3-15. I’ve got around $1700 tied up in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

5peataz

FNG
I had to shop around but I have a bergara wilderness in 300wm topped with a leupold vx5 3-15. I’ve got around $1700 tied up in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know! That’s a combo I was looking at in the bergara b14 wilderness ridge in 6.5 prc with a leupold vx3hd 4.5-14x40

huntsd

WKR
I just picked up a tikka t3 300 wm (new 1:10) it shoots great. Topped it with a Zeiss v4 (used) which put it right about 1500ish. Ended up putting 300 more into it for an after market break. Over very very happy with it

bccowboy

FNG
the ruger american hunter comes with a magpul stock and is a tack driver. can get into that for 800-1k easy.

Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x50 is pretty solid as well for another 5-700 (got mine for 5 and change on sale) puts you right on the money.

If you get a tikka t3x I'd highly recommend getting a muzzle brake. I have a .300 win mag t3x lite and the muzzle jump is impressive without a brake

Browning Hells Canyon with a Leupold scope should put you at that upper limit and work good for you.

You'll pay about the same for the scope as you do for the gun.

TX_Diver

WKR
Not sure on current pricing but the R700 5r milspecs (first gen) were around $8-900 a while back (probably gone up since then). Get Set of decent rings and a SWFA 3-15 and you'd be close to that price range I think? Or go fixed 10x on the scope and put an aftermarket trigger on the rifle too.

Edit: Just re-read the question and the above may be a bit heavy for a hunting rig.

h2so4

WKR
I’m into my savage 110 ultralight 30-06 with VX5HD for just a touch more than that. I’m liking it so far. Light weight and with my suppressor, it shoots very comfortably.

OP

5peataz

FNG
I’m into my savage 110 ultralight 30-06 with VX5HD for just a touch more than that. I’m liking it so far. Light weight and with my suppressor, it shoots very comfortably.

I’d love that setup. The ultralites are hard to come by right now!

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look really hard at the Bergara if I were you. I have a Weatherby Accugard, my son recently bought a Bergara. Both shoot fine, but his has the very large benefit of being Remington pattern, whereas mine is not. That matters when you decide to swap stocks in particular, but also triggers, bottom metal etc. I need to do some of that with my rifle, but my choices are severely limited, so whatever you get, I would try and stick to Rem pattern actions, I wish I had. His Bergara is exceedingly accurate, and at the price of the B14, would still allow you to pick up a decent scope.

In terms of scopes, I have a Leupold VX6, and it's been great for me, but I know of quite a few people who have had some issues with tracking and RTZ on Leupolds. Another option that the guys from LRO were talking about on Ryan Avery's podcast are the Zeiss V4's. You can pick up an open box, with full warranty, from Red Hawk rifles fairly regularly. Not sure, but I think a B14 and a V4 from RH should be right at your 1500 mark, though I have not looked at B14 prices in a while.

smby

FNG
I'd recommend Tikka T3X like many folks mentioned above. Specifically CTR SS version. It's a bit heavier, but more consistent and less recoil. You can pair it with some good Athlon or Vortex scopes.