Best long range hunting rifle and scope for $1500?

FCCDerek

FNG
Tikka T3x in a caliber of your choice shouldn't run more than $750. Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10 power scope for another $600 or so. Money left for rings. You'll have a rifle you can hunt with anywhere in the US. Whether or not you reload would change my recommendation on what caliber to get.

FCCDerek

FNG
IMO no. primarily because velocity will be too low at 800 yards for consistent expansion. Even 500 yards is pushing it with that combo.

It's also likely a mediocre choice because factory ammo is prone to inconsistent velocities and a 180 TTSX has a lousy BC and will be blown around by wind quite a bit at 800 yards. Despite what the internet says, 800 yards isn't a chip shot and it's really not with a lightweight magnum shooting factory ammo with lousy BC bullets.
The short answer is yes, your rifle in that caliber is enough for hunting to 800 meters. A 300WM loaded with any number of VLD style bullets (ABLR, Gamechangers, Bergers) will retain plenty of energy and have more than enough precision to land a killing shot on an animal at that range. Whether or not you're capable of making the shot is the variable. And whether or not you've got a scope capable of taking advantage of the rifle you have.

based on my personal experience with beretta's repair dept, I'd recommend going bergara over tikka (if youre between the 2)

based on my personal experience with beretta's repair dept, I'd recommend going bergara over tikka (if youre between the 2)
Not trying to be contradictory or negative, but what types of things do rifles go in regularly enough for in order for a company to have a reputation to mess up their service?

Each Winchester M70, Marlin lever, Ruger MK77, Remington 700, Savage M99, Savage 110, or M98 based rifles I have or have owned hasn't had an issue. Granted, none of them have been recent purchases but they to do what they should when they should for decades on end.

Not trying to be contradictory or negative, but what types of things do rifles go in regularly enough for in order for a company to have a reputation to mess up their service?

Each Winchester M70, Marlin lever, Ruger MK77, Remington 700, Savage M99, Savage 110, or M98 based rifles I have or have owned hasn't had an issue. Granted, none of them have been recent purchases but they to do what they should when they should for decades on end.
Ruger Ive known to be more frequent with issues (myself and a few other buddies have all had bad luck with the ruger american in 350 legend having feeding issues from the mag).

The issue I had with Beretta was a Tikka rifle with stress fracturing in the chamber. I found out early on by borescoping it. Could have found out the hard way if it blew up in my face.

It took over 6 months and harassing multiple VPs and directors to get a replacement from Beretta.

Seeknelk

WKR
Is there any factory ammo that would be good in that 500-600 yard range or at least much better than that factory Barnes I'm shooting.
Yes, Hornady precision hunter 200 eldx IF your gun shoots it well. Odds are it does. I've seen several do very well with it and bulls were killed 4-500 something yards. Don't get addicted to more X's in your scope choice. 10x is plenty to 1000 for MOST hunting and most decent eyes.
I killed a cow very cleanly with Hornady precision hunter 178 eldx at 630 with a model 70 30/06.

With everything Form has been doing, here’s an update.

Rifle
Savage Axis or Ruger American

Scope
Nightforce SHV

BjornF16

WKR
Tikka 300 WSM or 6.5 PRC, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA scope. It's become cliche on here, but for that price range it works.
Mine is a 300 WSM, I put it together (plus a stock and some other parts) last summer. I've punched 5 tags with it from 300 to 1170 yards, and I'd put it up against any high dollar rifle (I've owned those too, and will own more).
The above isn't theory, it works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
What stock?