Best low poundage broadhead

shawnjon

FNG
After having Valkyrie, Kudu and cutthroats. I would go with kudu points. They come sharp, low maintenance being stainless, spin true, easy to sharpen.

Zac

WKR
After having Valkyrie, Kudu and cutthroats. I would go with kudu points. They come sharp, low maintenance being stainless, spin true, easy to sharpen.
Easy to sharpen? What technique are you using?

shawnjon

FNG
Round file with the head on a short arrow shaft to help hold it or a small work sharp. It doesn’t take much for the kudu points, I will say the original ones are difficult but the contours are much easier. Another thing I forgot to mention was both cutthroats and Valkyrie heads when machined left a small bevel on the shoulder of the head which would not mate flush with daysix outserts. I had to take a drill bit and put a small bevel on the inside of all my outserts to get the heads to mate flush. It was noticeable enough to see daylight through the gap.

Reactions: Zac

ia bhtr

FNG
Magnus Stingers have had some proponents on here and some detractors , you do need to pay attn keeping them sharp , for what you want , these would be a very good head , very good penetration , in my experience bloodtrails have been as good as any other , I did shoot the 2 blade , have since switched to slick trick standards and this year will be tryin viper tricks , the tricks penetrate very well as well

Beendare

WKR
This is a great chart Bill....and mirrors my experience. Chisel points with a wide flat blade angle are poor penetrators in low energy setups.......those heads chop their way in instead of sliding in like a tapered head dulling the blades on contact with hair, hide and bone.

2 blade for sure.

IME, blood trails have been totally dependent on how high the hit is....mid too low shot pass throughs always get me a good blood trail....though I rarely need it.

Use a very sharp, 2-blade or 2-blade with bleeder, cut on contact fixed head. They have much better penetration than 3-blade. My nephew and several others have gotten pass throughs on deer with 40 lbs.

View attachment 215483

Last edited:

bohntr

WKR
Magnus Black Hornets......fly incredibly well, sharp as hell, extremely durable......with the BEST guarantee out there. You bend or break them....send them back and they’ll replace it for free!

MattB

WKR
There is little point in paying for the "best" for your son. A bottom of the barrel Magnus Stinger would be a great choice.

One of the best heads for the price I have found are VPA. I shot a pig with a 45# recurve and went through two ribs, cut a chunk off a vertebrae, and busted the shoulder blade on the way out.

Took a Lansky sharpener to it and had it shaving again in about 5 minutes.

Now, that was a two blade head, and the blood trail was almost nonexistent because I shot from stem to stern and guts plugged the hole. I will be trying out the 3 blades soon.