Best LPVO for hunting

RyanBaker

FNG
Hi guys, looking for recommendations on a LPVO for hunting, under $1000. Main requirements are that the optic must be durable, go to a true 1x on the low end, and have a simple reticle. German #4, duplex, etc. No fancy mil-hash, Moa diamond reticle stuff. This will be for a western Oregon deer, elk, and bear hunting rifle, which I do not yet have, but am considering a BLR 20” barrel or something of similar size and weight. We have a ton of thick brush and the majority of shots are sub 75 yards, likely less than 40, but logging clear cuts may allow for longer shots, my maximum goal with this rifle will be 350 yards. There’s a lot of LPVOs on the market, but most are geared toward the tactical/competition market. I want something with a basic, thicker, sfp reticle for quick acquisition in thick brush. Searching the internet has led me to the leupold vx5hd 1-5x24, trijicon accupoint tr24 1-4x24 and Huron 1-4x24, and hawke endurance 30 1-6x24 as candidates. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!

OP
RyanBaker

RyanBaker

FNG
I haven’t used one of these, but was reminded of it when you said German #4. Always wanted to put my hands on one and see if I liked it.

Wow! I really like the specs of the scope, especially the price tag. The only thing I don’t like is the weight, but I will definitely be going down to cabelas to see if they have one to look thru. Thanks!

Blue72

WKR
If your looking to save weight. Leupold has lpvo in the 9 ounce range

have you considered a red dot since you hunt short range. I love mine and they are only 1-4 ounces. You can always add a magnifier for times when you need more magnification

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi guys, looking for recommendations on a LPVO for hunting, under $1000. Main requirements are that the optic must be durable, go to a true 1x on the low end, and have a simple reticle. German #4, duplex, etc. Looking for any recommendations, thanks!

I have heavily used every scope mentioned save the Bushnell and Hawke. The Trijicon 1-4’s and 1-6’s are easily the pick of the litter.

matthewmt

WKR
Thanks! Have you used it as a hunting scope? Just hesitant because of the reticle choices
I have not, its mounted on a bcm AR. I've made consistent hits at 560 - 600+ yards using the bdc on a vital sz target tho.
Glass clarity is very good and illumination is day time bright. 1x I can almost focus on the front sight post.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alarka

FNG
I have a a few Burris XTR II Illuminated 1-8x24 Mil and love them, Also the Primary Arms Platinum 1x8 and the BushNell Elite Tactical 1x6.5/8.5 are right there too.

OP
RyanBaker

RyanBaker

FNG
I have heavily used every scope mentioned save the Bushnell and Hawke. The Trijicon 1-4’s and 1-6’s are easily the pick of the litter.
I definitely trust trijicon, love the durable build, battery free illumination, and glass clarity. Have you used the amber reticle?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I definitely trust trijicon, love the durable build, battery free illumination, and glass clarity. Have you used the amber reticle?

Yes. I’ve used them all. The best is the German #4 red if you can find it, or the green. The amber gets lost in some backgrounds. I would also go for the Accupoint 1-4x.

OP
RyanBaker

RyanBaker

FNG
If your looking to save weight. Leupold has lpvo in the 9 ounce range

have you considered a red dot since you hunt short range. I love mine and they are only 1-4 ounces. You can always add a magnifier for times when you need more magnification
I do like the light weight of leupold scopes. The main thing holding me back from a red dot w/magnifier setup is that this will be going on a sporter rifle, and I like the streamlined setup of an adjustable optic rather than the flip to side magnifiers.

OP
RyanBaker

RyanBaker

FNG
Yes. I’ve used them all. The best is the German #4 red if you can find it, or the green. The amber gets lost in some backgrounds. I would also go for the Accupoint 1-4x.
Thank you for the advice. I will look for the German #4 red, I have the green triangle in my 2.5-10 and it does pretty well, but I think red would contrast better against a densely forested background.

I am loving the My Trijicon Accupoint. Mine is a 3-9, but am going to get a 1-6 for my carbine. Very sturdy, typical Trijicon quality, several reticle options. The fiber/tritium illumination works very well. I would not put the other mentioned options in the same class as a Trijicon, they are very well known for making a tank of an optic. Just ask the marines. Can find them on sale for a great bargain as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RyanBaker

RyanBaker

FNG
I am loving the My Trijicon Accupoint. Mine is a 3-9, but am going to get a 1-6 for my carbine. Very sturdy, typical Trijicon quality, several reticle options. The fiber/tritium illumination works very well. I would not put the other mentioned options in the same class as a Trijicon, they are very well known for making a tank of an optic. Just ask the marines. Can find them on sale for a great bargain as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Trijicon is definitely at the top of my list right now. I see no downsides, the 1-4 and 1-6 both seem like they will fulfill my requirements 100%. What reticle do you have in your 3-9?