Best Method You've Got to Fire Up the Wood Stove Fast in the Morning?

I make these
and sleep within reach of the stove. Use the thermorest neoair mini pump for air if needed. Works like a charm, a warm charm.

Michael54

WKR
I make these
and sleep within reach of the stove. Use the thermorest neoair mini pump for air if needed. Works like a charm, a warm charm.
Ive used cotton balls doused in vaseline then dipped in wax. Im gonna point my wife in your direction when her makeup remover pads go missing 🤣🤣🤣 i also learned the hard way that her good soup pot is not a wax melting device...whether it cleans out or not lol

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I'm talking about a heater, not a cook stove. 30k BTU's.......I sold my wood stove because this thing works so well, but for a 3rd rifle hunt I'd want to use this until the stove got hot. I keep it on a 40lb tank. For me, having that heat first thing in the morning is priceless. Even with a stove stoked all night and glowing red using coal, I still would wake up with my sleeping bag encased in ice on those late season hunts.
View attachment 129619

Just wanted to thank you for this suggestion 5miles. I ended up picking up one of these Mr. Heater propane heaters, and a 40lb tank and man was that thing slick on our hunt. We still used the wood stove but, as you said, when you need heat fast in the mornings, the above is the ticket.

After the last 3rd rifle season hunt - I invested in a Bernzomatic propane torch (just pull the trigger). When truck camping I plan to take that to make keeping the woodstove going a lot easier.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
No drama, very simple, kindling. Cut it off small dry pieces. Small enough to light easy, put the by other pieces and it’ll ignite. Pretty simple

From my days working in the woods, I learned that pitch stumps work about the best. It's basically pitch soaked wood. It doesn't matter how wet it is, it'll take off like gasoline. It makes your tent smell good when you lay it next to your stove.

Pro tip, your stove better be close to cold by the time everyone is off hunting that morning. If a ranger/warden/police/concerned citizen sees smoke rolling out and no one tending your fire, you'll be in for a nice fine and likely a soggy stove...3rd rifle is routinely seeing firebans on stoves writ large, so be ready to not use it anyway. If Im not hiking from camp, I just get the truck running, if not, a couple hundred vert will get you warmer than any stove.

12 yr old and 17 yr old. They are great at getting up and loading up the stove a few times a night. Toasty warm in morning. I suggest everyone get a couple of them

AZmark

WKR
Can of WD40 and a match makes a good blow torch. Its something I caught my elderly mom doing to start fire up in her wood stove.

*zap*

WKR
I think if you can get a normal campfire going with no problems a stove will be no issue. Everyone should know how to get a fire going.....

Button

WKR
1-3 butadiene works well..
This is sarcasm. It’s a cancerous chemical that I’ve worked with.

Dry tinder and any flame work well. It’s not that hard with modern technology. Even a magnifying glass is easy.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
That's the reason god made starter fluid. Save all the lint from your cloths drier, it's great for starting fires. That and some kindling.

Bearsears

WKR
In the wall tent we just use a bernzomatic torch. Load up the stove and blast it with the torch for a matter of seconds and you are good to go. In the redcliff packed into the mountains I like trioxane and I sleep relatively close to the titanium stove so I can light it with one arm out of my bag.

Trial153

WKR
I make a hand sized nest the night before with some pyro putty in the middle, have some smaller kindling near by ready… lite it, pile some kindling on it and your good to go.

Laramie

WKR
I bring some hardwood along for stoking before bed. Fill the stove up right at bed with hardwood and it will still be producing heat 8 hours later if you do it right. No need to restoke in the mornings. I learned the trick from an old guide I worked with. He hated stoking the fire in the middle of the night.