Best mid-tier compact Binocular

NBChance

FNG
I'm looking to purchase a good all-around compact binocular that I can carry while I hunt waterfowl, chukar, and for general carry when I am out hiking. I currently own alpha class optics (Swarovski 10X42 EL, Swarovski 15X56 SLC and Kowa 554 spotter) that I use scouting and hunting big game, so I am a bit spoiled regarding image quality. I would like to stay in the sub $500 price range, as these binos will see more abuse, might get left in my UTV, etc. and I don't want to fret over them. Based on my use cases, I want to stay in the 6X - 8X power range, with 30 - 32MM objective. I think this will fit my niche from a usability and overall performance perspective. I know I will give up some optical quality over my alpha glass, but hopefully not enough to be substantially annoying. Unfortunately, none of the brick and mortar stores in my area carry anything in the class I am looking for, so I can't put my hands on any of them. I've been doing a lot of on-line research. My short-list is as follows:

Kowa BD II XD 6.5 X 32
Nikon 8 X 30 Monarch 7
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 8 X 32
Maven B3 6 X 30 or 8X 30

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with any of these binoculars. I'll be reaching out to Doug at Camera Land for his thoughts (and prices ;-) ) as well.

Hoodie

WKR
Iḿ interested to hear from people who have used multiple options on your list.

I used the Kowa 6.5x32 last year. Pretty solid bino. Its strengths are sweet spot sharpness, brightness (transmission that´s competitive with alpha offerings), and a crazy wide field of view.

It´s only real weakness optically also has to do with the field of view. There´s a fairly noticeable drop off in clarity towards the edges. It´s nothing crazy given the price point, but it´s enough that you may get a comparable usable FOV from other offerings with a larger sweet spot.

Having now used 6-6.5x binos and 8x binos, I would only go for the 6x range if youĺl exclusively be using them in thick timber. 8x is just as easy to hand-hold and will give you a noticeable jump in resolution at longer distances. In a 32mm bino you also don´t typically lose too much FOV going from 6x to 8x.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED bought a pair for my son for a recent trip to Zimbabwe. This model is made in Japan. Pretty impressed. A couple of other hunters I know bought these after my recommendations and they too were impressed. Price around $300.

OP
N

NBChance

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. This is useful info. For many of my use cases I am in pretty open country and would like the 8X magnification. However, I think the lower power in this size, and mid-tier optic quality, will most likely provide a better image, and be more stable to hold considering the compact size. I've read posts from a couple of guys who definitely prefer the image quality of the Kowa BD II 6.5X over the 8X, stating that CA is much less noticeable or non-existent with the 6.5.

I'll have to do some research on the other models some of you guys have mentioned.

Decisions, decisions.

binoman

FNG
I'm looking to purchase a good all-around compact binocular that I can carry while I hunt waterfowl, chukar, and for general carry when I am out hiking. I currently own alpha class optics (Swarovski 10X42 EL, Swarovski 15X56 SLC and Kowa 554 spotter) that I use scouting and hunting big game, so I am a bit spoiled regarding image quality. I would like to stay in the sub $500 price range, as these binos will see more abuse, might get left in my UTV, etc. and I don't want to fret over them. Based on my use cases, I want to stay in the 6X - 8X power range, with 30 - 32MM objective. I think this will fit my niche from a usability and overall performance perspective. I know I will give up some optical quality over my alpha glass, but hopefully not enough to be substantially annoying. Unfortunately, none of the brick and mortar stores in my area carry anything in the class I am looking for, so I can't put my hands on any of them. I've been doing a lot of on-line research. My short-list is as follows:

Kowa BD II XD 6.5 X 32
Nikon 8 X 30 Monarch 7
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 8 X 32
Maven B3 6 X 30 or 8X 30

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with any of these binoculars. I'll be reaching out to Doug at Camera Land for his thoughts (and prices ;-) ) as well.
I have the kowa 6.5x32 and Bx-4 8x32. I much prefer the kowas wider field, sharper sweet spot and better colour representation (to my eyes anyway). Also the depth of field is noticeably better in the kowa and it is very easy to use hand held. There is a more noticeable drop off at the edges than the bx-4 but with such a wide field and sharper sweet spot i dont find it bothersome. It is a bit shorter in length than the bx-4 as well if that matters much to you. I also find it brighter overall, likely due to its larger exit pupil.

OP
N

NBChance

FNG
Shoeshineman,
Thanks for the tip on the Swarovski 8X30 SLC neu. They seem to get some really good reviews. It appears they were discontinued in 2010. Do you or someone else reading this thread know which years are the best (latest lens coatings, etc.) to look for? How about their size? What are they comparable to?

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Just received my new Maven B.3 8x30s. Just want to pass on my initial thoughts. Really impressed. Very crisp picture. I own the B2 9x45s as well, but I won’t be surprised if I end up using the B3’s more for my whitetail saddle hunting in WI.

I had Swaro CL 10x30 for a short bit. Didn’t have them side by side with these, but from my memory these are on a very similar level. Look forward to getting out in the field with these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NBChance

FNG
Well, I bit the bullet today and ordered a pair of Swarovski CL 8X30 B's from Doug. I had not planned to spend this much, but I put my hands on a pair of CL 10X30 B's yesterday and was very impressed. I think they will be exactly what I am looking for from an image quality and usability / size perspective. Since I could not try out any of the other models on my short list, I did not want to gamble with ordering them and being disappointed. I love my other two Swarovski's and feel very comfortable with the warranty / service Swarovski provides.

I read quite a few reviews on the CL. It seems the older models were not as well received, but the later / current field pro model gets a lot of praise. I was impressed during the limited amount of time I was able to handle the CL 10X30 B. The only thing I wasn't impressed with is the diopter adjuster, but I won't be adjusting very often. I was also taken back initially with the fact the eyecups only have two stop positions, all the way up, or all the way down. Upon using them, without glasses, I found the full-up position fit me just fine, so no big deal on that.

I'm really looking forward to putting my new CL 8X30's to the test. I'll report back on my impressions once I have a chance to use them.

ZDR

WKR
I'm looking forward to hearing how the CLs work for you. I had the Maven B3s and liked them a lot. The problem was the edge to edge clarity was poor. The center sweet spot is excellent but the edge are poor. I sold them here and ended up with a pair of CL 10x30s and love them. Edge to edge clarity is amazing and the images just pop. I also have a pair of EL 8x32s and would say the CLs are 85-90% as good as the ELs for ~half the price.

OP
N

NBChance

FNG
Awesome, thanks for the extra assurance that I made the right decision. After spending a lot of time behind my SV 10X42 ELs and my 15X56 SLC's, edge to edge clarity is hard to give up. I'm pretty sure I would have been disappointed if I had gone with one of the glasses in my initial short list, although I'm sure they are quality optics in their price range.

I read many more reviews from optics critics yesterday, that were written shortly after the new CLs were first released. They were all very complimentary, giving ground only to glasses that were twice the price of the new CL's.

I should have my new pair by the end of the week and will certainly post my initial thoughts.

I realize the OP has made his decision. For anyone else looking for similar binos a good used pair of Leica Ultravid 8x32 would be on my short list...they are excellent compact glass. I’ve had my pair of them (pre-HD) since 2005 and still love them.

Often the Leica resale is lower than Swaro too even though they are comparatively priced new.

Good luck with your Swaros, OP. Should be a fine choice!

ZDR

WKR
@Blockcaver -- spot on advice. The UV 8x32s are really nice bins. The color rendition is second to none and its such a well made compact package. I second-guess my EL 8x32 decision all the time because of the UV. I was fortunate enough to compare them outside side by side and could have went either way. Also throw the Zeiss SF 8x32 in that mix...all three were spectacular bins with individual strengths/strongpoints. Hard to make a mistake at that price point.

OP
N

NBChance

FNG
Another factor that keeps me gravitating toward Swarovski is their USA warranty / service center. I treat all my gear with great care and don't plan to use a warranty, but it's nice to know a company is solidly behind me when / if I need it. I am the second owner of both my ELs and SLCs. They were both only a couple years old and had barely been used when I purchased them. The original owners turned out to be upstanding guys. However, it was nice to be able to call SWUSA, provide them the S/N's and they willingly provided me all the information I needed to verify what the original owners were telling me, i.e. original retailer, year sold, any service history, and whether or not they were reported stolen. I like the fact that after a number of years of heavy use in the field I can send them into SWUSA for a "refresh / tune-up" if I feel it is needed.

Reactions: ZDR
I've been doing quite a bit of Bino research too and have found these sites to be pretty helpful. They're mostly geared towards birders, but I feel like they might be helpful for you too.

JGTWI

WKR
You might also want to look for a pair of used meostar 8x32’s.

I have a pair of the Cabela’s branded ones that I picked up on eBay and they are great.