Best midsize Pickup?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I prefer a smaller vehicle, makes it a bit challenging on road trips as far as space, but I find myself in too many tight trails and mountain "roads" where it would be a bit tight for anything bigger.

I am keeping my current rig until it dies but have researched all the small trucks, the Nissan and the Ranger had me tempted, as well as the zr2 but it is a bit spendy!
This is my problem, my 2500 quad cab cant turn around just anywhere.

+1 for the ranger. I drove one for 6 months as a company car, and I have a F150 at home. For running around back and forth to the jobsite and around town and into the mtns the ranger was awesome. Don't tell my boss but I took that little truck into some real shit while scouting for hunts and fishing around Idaho. That little engine puts out great power. I was a huge fan. For what its worth I owned 2 tacomas, a 17 and 18 and both were lemons and I got out of them. Least efficient vehicles I've ever owned.

i would not discount the Ridgeline. Reliability is well beyond the chev, ford, dodge, etc I am not a current Tacoma fun. Tundra, yes. All though I would not buy a new one.

Resell on a Ridgeline with 150k on the clock will be like night a day on anything else other than maybe a Toyota if that maters.

i would not discount the Ridgeline. Reliability is well beyond the chev, ford, dodge, etc I am not a current Tacoma fun. Tundra, yes. All though I would not buy a new one.

Resell on a Ridgeline with 150k on the clock will be like night a day on anything else other than maybe a Toyota if that maters.
Yeah but you gotta be married or real comfortable being single to drive one of those things.

FLATHEAD

WKR
If Honda made an ACTUAL truck I would probably buy one.
But that Ridgeline is a Pilot with a "bed".
And I do not consider my wife's Pilot even close to being
off road worthy.

2 door or 4 door? I have an F-150 super crew 4 door with a 5 & 1/2 ft bed. Like the size. Wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee for when we need off-road capability.

I get 20-21 mpg flat driving at 65 mph. 18 mpg average mixed driving.
5.0 gas. Rated to pull 10,500. Have pulled up to 7500 without a problem. Brother has same truck with ecoboost engine. He might get 1/2 mpg better than me.

I can’t see going back to a single cab. Ranger 4 door might be ok if you don’t need to pull anything heavy.

Well if a rig has anything to do with finding a quality gal then you got unsolvable problems in that category sorry to tell you.

As far as being offroad worthy and you think a colorado or ranger is better than good luck with that. No it it is not a rut of rock climber. But can certainly get you in to the woods in a foot of snow or better. And is light years better quality than many of the alternatives discussed, but whatever.

Btw, if you read the op. He is not looking for and offroad rig persae. A Ridgeline would do what he is wanting and a lot more.

Last edited:
The 2023 Colorado and Canyon will come with the 2.7L turbo that's been offered in the full size 1500 trucks. Multiple suspension options and completely redesigned. This should be a quite capable truck with great gas mileage. The full size 1500 is actually pretty peppy with the 2.7L so it should make the smaller Colorado go.

tony

WKR
That’s next to my 2013 F150 which was a great truck. I did not want the same color. I wanted the tremor though. The other two on the lot had this horrible $700.00 sticker package on them. No way I was giving ford that kind of money even though they were the colors I preferre.

Attachments

• F9922229-4AA2-4D90-9B07-6CD0F52AF772.jpeg
    F9922229-4AA2-4D90-9B07-6CD0F52AF772.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 102229AC-B19A-4A12-830C-821C2BC93FCD.jpeg
    102229AC-B19A-4A12-830C-821C2BC93FCD.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 139

wesfromky

WKR
The 2023 Colorado and Canyon will come with the 2.7L turbo that's been offered in the full size 1500 trucks. Multiple suspension options and completely redesigned. This should be a quite capable truck with great gas mileage. The full size 1500 is actually pretty peppy with the 2.7L so it should make the smaller Colorado go.
But only in quad cab, short bed. I know most people like the quad/crew cabs, but I am just not a fan of the short beds, can't really sleep under a topper without having to go diagonal.

OP
GarnerAF1

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
That’s next to my 2013 F150 which was a great truck. I did not want the same color. I wanted the tremor though. The other two on the lot had this horrible $700.00 sticker package on them. No way I was giving ford that kind of money even though they were the colors I preferre.

That’s sharp looking! Yeah the more I’m reading and watching sounds like quite a few are happy with the Ranger.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at trading my F150 in and going back to a midsize truck. Not doing a Tacoma, unfortunately I think their limelight is fading and hated the little time I owned a 2016 Tacoma, completely disappointing. I had just as many issues with it as I did my work truck.

Any suggestions on midsize?

Main use will be zipping up and down logging and forestry roads to check cameras, hunt,fish, etc..

Been hearing pretty darn good things on the Ranger, seems quite a few I have spoke to seem to be happy with their Colorados/Canyons as well.

Hey Chris, you back in Colorado I’m guessing? You can come check out my ‘22 Ranger if you want. You know me it’s not staying stock long.
Lift, Wheels/Tires, rear seat delete kit, soft topper and both roof/cab racks are ordered.

I know you and I have spoke about our lack luster experience with the latest generation Tacoma but you do know I’ve accumulated over a million miles on Toyota trucks right? No expert and don’t call myself a professional mechanic, although my father is, but I do believe I have earned my right to my opinion on this subject. 317k miles on a ‘88 Toyota PU which I absolutely loved back in Highschool. ‘03 SR5 Tacoma 4x4 with 327k miles, by far my favorite truck I’ve ever owned. Regret every day selling it. So durable and reliable, then came my ‘11 TRDOR 4x4….megh I mean it got the job done but I began to have all kinds of four wheel drive actuator issues, air conditioning issues, shifting issues. I just began to notice more issues than my previous two. Still took me to 309k miles but was beginning to concern me. Then I took a break from Toyota, was happy for while but let nostalgia get to me and bought that sick looking ‘18 TRDPRO that I made into a overland rig that you’ve seen. Unfortunately that thing began having more issues in 67k miles than my Ram ever had in 77k miles.

Now I have this Ranger, so far I’m blown away and way more impressed. Honestly kind of wondering why I ever went back to a Tacoma. I hope Toyota gets their stuff together and start making solid stuff again but unfortunately their current line up is both outdated, overrated and overpriced. I’m glad I get to travel as much as I have internationally. It sure has taught me just how much of a cult like following us Americans have for the Tacoma when in all reality it’s inflated on its reliability and performance numbers. The rest of the world heavily uses everything in the book. Not just Toyota trucks.

Personally I believe there is a great deal of midsize offerings that you will be happy with even over long term and they don’t have to be a Tacoma. Like I said, I hope they redeem themselves for their new Gen stuff, but their current stuff id avoid. Their is better drive trains, better performance, more efficiency and more comfortable rides out there that will be just as reliable. Unfortunately I’m convinced there is way too much of our US based Toyota customers who are still hung up on a limelight for Toyota that hasn’t really existed since they made the switch of manufacturing to the US back in the early 2000’s. I think that’s why I loved my Gen 1 so much. It was still Japanese components but assembled in CA. Still had a lot of Japanese quality in the product.

Sorry to sound like a Toyota basher but the Tacoma isn’t the only true midsize offering that’s gonna last ya.

OP
GarnerAF1

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Chris, you back in Colorado I’m guessing? You can come check out my ‘22 Ranger if you want. You know me it’s not staying stock long.
Lift, Wheels/Tires, rear seat delete kit, soft topper and both roof/cab racks are ordered.

I know you and I have spoke about our lack luster experience with the latest generation Tacoma but you do know I’ve accumulated over a million miles on Toyota trucks right? No expert and don’t call myself a professional mechanic, although my father is, but I do believe I have earned my right to my opinion on this subject. 317k miles on a ‘88 Toyota PU which I absolutely loved back in Highschool. ‘03 SR5 Tacoma 4x4 with 327k miles, by far my favorite truck I’ve ever owned. Regret every day selling it. So durable and reliable, then came my ‘11 TRDOR 4x4….megh I mean it got the job done but I began to have all kinds of four wheel drive actuator issues, air conditioning issues, shifting issues. I just began to notice more issues than my previous two. Still took me to 309k miles but was beginning to concern me. Then I took a break from Toyota, was happy for while but let nostalgia get to me and bought that sick looking ‘18 TRDPRO that I made into a overland rig that you’ve seen. Unfortunately that thing began having more issues in 67k miles than my Ram ever had in 77k miles.

Now I have this Ranger, so far I’m blown away and way more impressed. Honestly kind of wondering why I ever went back to a Tacoma. I hope Toyota gets their stuff together and start making solid stuff again but unfortunately their current line up is both outdated, overrated and overpriced. I’m glad I get to travel as much as I have internationally. It sure has taught me just how much of a cult like following us Americans have for the Tacoma when in all reality it’s inflated on its reliability and performance numbers. The rest of the world heavily uses everything in the book. Not just Toyota trucks.

Personally I believe there is a great deal of midsize offerings that you will be happy with even over long term and they don’t have to be a Tacoma. Like I said, I hope they redeem themselves for their new Gen stuff, but their current stuff id avoid. Their is better drive trains, better performance, more efficiency and more comfortable rides out there that will be just as reliable. Unfortunately I’m convinced there is way too much of our US based Toyota customers who are still hung up on a limelight for Toyota that hasn’t really existed since they made the switch of manufacturing to the US back in the early 2000’s. I think that’s why I loved my Gen 1 so much. It was still Japanese components but assembled in CA. Still had a lot of Japanese quality in the product.

Sorry to sound like a Toyota basher but the Tacoma isn’t the only true midsize offering that’s gonna last ya.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Yeah no I’m not even considering the Tacoma. My brother in laws land survey company just switched to all Chevy Colorados over their aging Tacomas. Sounds like the owner was tired of everyone saying they hated driving the Tacomas for long distance.

So far the Ranger is at top, but I’m considering holding off a little and test driving the ‘23 Ranger and the ‘23 Colorado. The new Colorado numbers are looking outstanding. That ZR2 with the tuned up torque and Horsepower numbers is attractive!

The Nissan Frontier doesn’t look too bad either. Unfortunately the Jeep just seems way way overpriced and doesn’t sound like they really have had that great of a track record with reliability. The Gladiator does look pretty cool though lifted!

z987k

WKR
If Ford makes the 2023 Ranger in a plug in hybrid(phev), not the dumb hybrid the F150 has, I'll be one of the first in line to order one.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I put 280k trouble free miles on a Nissan Titan, then 160k more trouble free miles on a Nissan Xterra before hitting a deer with it. I was really torn on replacing the Xterra with a pickup as I had really come to enjoy the Xterra and smaller SUVs for my style of hunting and outdoors. I seriously considered a new Titan with a camper shell but the turning radius was horrible. I ended up going with a new 4Runner because the new Frontiers were not out yet. If they had been, I probably would have gone that route. Nissans are vehicles you gotta drive till they wear out though, e cause the resale value on them sucks LOL.
I know a few people with Colorados and Rangers and they love them. I’m sure Toyota will regain lost market share when they release the next gen Tacoma and catch back up on power and features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at trading my F150 in and going back to a midsize truck. Not doing a Tacoma, unfortunately I think their limelight is fading and hated the little time I owned a 2016 Tacoma, completely disappointing. I had just as many issues with it as I did my work truck.

Any suggestions on midsize?

Main use will be zipping up and down logging and forestry roads to check cameras, hunt,fish, etc..

Been hearing pretty darn good things on the Ranger, seems quite a few I have spoke to seem to be happy with their Colorados/Canyons as well.
I’m a little bias here, but I think the Colorado zr2 is the best current midsize, this is my second one after driving mostly Toyota pickups, traded in my 18’ trd off-road for my first Colorado, and there is no comparison at all… same with the trd pro, I have spent a good amount of time in one, and the zr2 is my choice by a large margin

The new rangers are pretty nice as well, and would be my next choice

Attachments

• 273477B6-069C-4C92-B28B-4DFE1B38A19F.jpeg
    273477B6-069C-4C92-B28B-4DFE1B38A19F.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 92

Coldtrail

WKR
I'm really interested in what kind of longevity the rangers will have, I looked hard at them. In the end I was just not confident that it would be my best choice as an "off road" vehicle. That being said, I think it's hard to find any of the manufacturers making a tough truck other than maybe charging you for the decal telling you it's an off road truck. The whole turbo charger mixed with dust and snow driving seems like the Achilles heel in the most modern offerings....time will tell.

amassi

WKR
I'm really interested in what kind of longevity the rangers will have, I looked hard at them. In the end I was just not confident that it would be my best choice as an "off road" vehicle. That being said, I think it's hard to find any of the manufacturers making a tough truck other than maybe charging you for the decal telling you it's an off road truck. The whole turbo charger mixed with dust and snow driving seems like the Achilles heel in the most modern offerings....time will tell.
Luckily the ranger in its current form is well tested in Australia where it remained after our last gen ranger was discontinued in America. So it's a new to us truck and not a new truck per se. They're very popular for overlanding the outback which is very inhospitable to vehicles and about ad dusty as possible.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk