Best midsize Pickup?

I have 40k hard miles on my 21 Ranger Tremor and it has literally been the greatest truck I have owned.

I have beat it up bad….it’s unreal impressive.

I have one complaint…the back seat is extremely small. But other than that it’s perfect.

I pull my 24ft boat around like it’s nothing. Fuel mileage is up around 22mpg with oversized mud terrain tires and a smart cap.

tony

WKR
For those with the ranger how do you like that 10 speed transmission? It’s probably not identical but my work van has one it seems to be too much for in town driving. Acts like a bunch of half step shifts through the first four gears when accelerating normally.
No issues with it. Believe it’s the same one as the F150s
There is this low speed “shudder/vibration, say around 20 mph. Ford has a tsb on it. Supposedly the drive shaft. I need to take mine and have them look at it.
When you accelerate it’s gone so I haven’t worried about it too much
27 mpg last tank of gas

E-Rawk

FNG
For those with the ranger how do you like that 10 speed transmission? It’s probably not identical but my work van has one it seems to be too much for in town driving. Acts like a bunch of half step shifts through the first four gears when accelerating normally.

No issues with it. Believe it’s the same one as the F150s
There is this low speed “shudder/vibration, say around 20 mph. Ford has a tsb on it. Supposedly the drive shaft. I need to take mine and have them look at it.
When you accelerate it’s gone so I haven’t worried about it too much
27 mpg last tank of gas

I came from a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 and 6 speed in it, I'm a big fan of this 10 speed transmission, its almost like driving a car with a cvt in it when I get to the hills. Not smooth like one, just feels like its always in the right gear if that makes sense. It doesn't hunt for gears when I'm towing and I can lock out 7-10 when towing heavy if I need to. I also notice between 20-25 mph there is a shudder almost like the truck is lugging. From my understanding some have been fixed with the driveshaft tsb and others have remained. I've only got about 8K miles on it since November of last year, but that's because it spent 2 months in the body shop after a deer strike in february. Not getting the fuel mileage these other guys are getting though. Probably more because of my dirt road commute to work than anything else. I'm still chalking up 19-21 mpg on the regular though.

def90

WKR
Who’s description are you using? The industry seems to call Tacoma, ranger, Colorado, frontier midsize, full size starts at half ton… they don’t call any compact that I have ever seen

I’ve always considered the Rangers, Tacomas, Frontiers and so on to be compacts though their sizes have grown a little bit over the years..

Looks like they used to call the Tacoma a compact and now a mid size.. I still look at it as being a compact. I think the mid-size term was created as a marketing gimmick as no one wanted a compact truck for hauling stuff.

Last edited:

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a yota fanboy. Have had a bunch of tacos and 4Runners. All I’ve done is add 285/75/16 bfg and have it tuned. Truck is a blast to drive on and off road. Wife has an 18 pro 4Runner. Love em both.

Attachments

• 8DBC3401-BEFD-4165-90DD-79C9084D666E.jpeg
    8DBC3401-BEFD-4165-90DD-79C9084D666E.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 41

Jakerex

WKR
i would not discount the Ridgeline. Reliability is well beyond the chev, ford, dodge, etc I am not a current Tacoma fun. Tundra, yes. All though I would not buy a new one.

Resell on a Ridgeline with 150k on the clock will be like night a day on anything else other than maybe a Toyota if that maters.

I had one. In the first 70k tranny went, main computer needed replaced, wheel bearings all around, fuel injectors, back up camera twice…..everything. Think I got a lemon.
Nice driving truck, if you call it that. It was awesome in the snow, mud, and ice. The ground clearance sucked.
I miss that in-bed trunk.
My new silverado gets better gas mileage, is just as comfortable, and has much more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
I think it's splitting hairs to start trying to determine what is compact, mid sized, and full sized. The "compact" trucks of today can do more than the 1/2 tons, and even some 3/4 tons of 30yrs ago, and the 3/4 tons today are pretty much highway trucks for those that are towing/hauling.

I say that based on personal experience, I've got a Toyota that will do every reasonable thing that my 1/2 ton does with much better off road ability, the F250 I had broke a bolt inside the transmission while crawling deep snow in 4LO that left me stranded & was the most worthless vehicle I ever owned for off road....but was a dream loaded up on the highway at 80mph. My older F150 has had a rough life & been good so far with 150,000mi and still getting 20mpg but payload is only 200lb more than the Tacoma with the same tow capacity.

For what it's worth, my mechanic has messed with all of them for years, his advice was if you want an all around nice smaller truck get the new ranger & almost everyone would be happy with it, if you want a truck that does everything "ok" but will still be doing it "ok" at 300,000mi get a Tacoma....comes down to how often you plan to replace it.

TomJoad

WKR
I’ll put in a Gladiator for consideration. 2021 eco diesel with the Rubi package. Drive Qualty is excellent, mileage excellent. Main complaints are wheel base is too long so it belly drags on difficult obstacles. The armor Is holding up but it’s getting a 3” lift and 37s after the factory 33s are spent. Another complaint is cost. Rubi plus diesel is spendy!

Really nice to have full lockers and sway bar disconnects from the factory. Diesel rock crawls like a dream. No need for gas or brake, just put it in gear and let er’ eat.
C2FD3110-49C1-47C9-ACD5-B29866D7DEB5.jpeg

Last edited:

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody moved from a full-size to a midsize? I have half thought about trading in my 2014 Raptor for a Ranger Raptor/Tremor. Should only be out of pocket $10k or so.

I love driving my ‘04 TJ around town because it’s so easy, didn’t know if the Ranger would feel closer to the Jeep as opposed to the Raptor for getting around and commuting.

Coldtrail

WKR
Has anybody moved from a full-size to a midsize? I have half thought about trading in my 2014 Raptor for a Ranger Raptor/Tremor. Should only be out of pocket $10k or so.

I love driving my ‘04 TJ around town because it’s so easy, didn’t know if the Ranger would feel closer to the Jeep as opposed to the Raptor for getting around and commuting.
I picked up a used Tacoma to try while my older F150 is still running in case I don't like it. So far so good, I carry about 300lbs in the bed all the time and occasionally tow about 3000#....it's not much different than my F150 as far as power & certainly will be a better off road and snow rig. It's rougher riding but I'm on gravel crappy roads most of the time anyway so everything rides like garbage.

I've had really good luck with most of the Ford's I've had, but Toyota engineering has been geared around off road use since the beginning of time and you can see subtle differences between the Tacoma's and others. Not saying they are better than other offerings but they are pretty proven. For me looking at my type of use, the Ford 10sp and turbo setup just wasn't something I believed said "abuse me", I see wiring harnesses hanging waiting to be torn off, cardboard like thermal insulators underneath, plastic stuff etc where the Tacoma has a pretty tried and true V6 6sp and has everything tucked up and covered with some metal. Just my .02...not trying to start a war.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a used Tacoma to try while my older F150 is still running in case I don't like it. So far so good, I carry about 300lbs in the bed all the time and occasionally tow about 3000#....it's not much different than my F150 as far as power & certainly will be a better off road and snow rig. It's rougher riding but I'm on gravel crappy roads most of the time anyway so everything rides like garbage.

I've had really good luck with most of the Ford's I've had, but Toyota engineering has been geared around off road use since the beginning of time and you can see subtle differences between the Tacoma's and others. Not saying they are better than other offerings but they are pretty proven. For me looking at my type of use, the Ford 10sp and turbo setup just wasn't something I believed said "abuse me", I see wiring harnesses hanging waiting to be torn off, cardboard like thermal insulators underneath, plastic stuff etc where the Tacoma has a pretty tried and true V6 6sp and has everything tucked up and covered with some metal. Just my .02...not trying to start a war.

Unfortunately I don’t fit in the Tacomas, I haven’t set in a Ranger or Colorado so could be a problem there too.

I really wanted a TRD Pro Tacoma but after the test drive it was out and I ended up in the Raptor.

I have had a few full size pickups, personally don’t like anything about them unless I’m towing something heavy… I pawned our 21’ tundra off on my wife so I could get another Colorado zr2… probably depends on where you live and what you like to do… on the coast, full size pickups suck in the woods, and get scratched to heck fast because about every gravel road is brush choked by this time of year…

Luckily for me, my wife likes the tundra, so the only time I have to drive it is if towing my big boat far

I couldn’t own a raptor, love them but they are just too wide to be practical here, I have never seen one in the woods, but plenty around on the pavement… kind of a shame to have a rig like that and not use it for anything but looks

I was hoping the ranger raptor would make it to the US, but I got sick of waiting and traded my last taco in on a Colorado zr2, and traded it in for the tundra, then got another zr2 after not liking the tundra…

It all depends on personal preference, but the zr2 is the best rig made for me and my needs, and it’s a little less space than a taco, but it’s a good compromise for me

Agree. I’m not even that big and all the current mid sized trucks seems too small. Like sitting in a cockpit with little elbow room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can’t argue with that at all… I personally don’t mind that, but they aren’t for everyone. I have driven little pickups my whole life and just got used to it, but for those that like some room, none are very good in that regard, my Colorado is smaller than my taco was, the ranger is very similar to the taco interior space, which is why I won’t buy a ranger raptor if they are ever released here, it will have a wide stance similar to a full size pickup, and I already know I will trade interior space for being nimble in the woods

Everything is a compromise of some sort

Coldtrail

WKR
In regards to my earlier reply about F150 vs Tacoma, I'm 6'4 and there is a definite decrease in space, especially when you start putting junk all over. I have a trailer brake unit and mobile radio in my Tacoma & did alot of staring at the dash before installation to make sure my knees wouldn't hit it or an airbag would send them flying into my face during a crash

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to my earlier reply about F150 vs Tacoma, I'm 6'4 and there is a definite decrease in space, especially when you start putting junk all over. I have a trailer brake unit and mobile radio in my Tacoma & did alot of staring at the dash before installation to make sure my knees wouldn't hit it or an airbag would send them flying into my face during a crash
I’m in that 6’2”-6’4”‘range too. That Taco wasn’t bad around town but my knees were all up in the steering wheel so a long trip would have been less than ideal. Maybe if I had more time to fine tune the seat and steering wheel I’d have been better.

My 2004 Wrangle has a small cab but I never feel cramped in it and have plenty of space in the drivers seat.