Best midsize Pickup?

I have 40k hard miles on my 21 Ranger Tremor and it has literally been the greatest truck I have owned.

I have beat it up bad….it’s unreal impressive.

I have one complaint…the back seat is extremely small. But other than that it’s perfect.

I pull my 24ft boat around like it’s nothing. Fuel mileage is up around 22mpg with oversized mud terrain tires and a smart cap.

That was my opinion too. I loved driving one on a test ride but with two little kids the back seat is what stopped me from pulling the trigger. Ordered an F150 tremor in January after my Fl grand Cherokee got stolen. Still waiting for my truck, not even a VIN yet. Maybe I should have bought the ranger AND the f150 because it may be another 6+ months for the f150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to my earlier reply about F150 vs Tacoma, I'm 6'4 and there is a definite decrease in space, especially when you start putting junk all over. I have a trailer brake unit and mobile radio in my Tacoma & did alot of staring at the dash before installation to make sure my knees wouldn't hit it or an airbag would send them flying into my face during a crash

I’m 5’6” and the ranger felt like my mustang. But nimble and easy to drive and park.

Rumor has it that Ford may offer a Super Crew with the 6' long bed in 2024. Doesn't help you right now, but that might be good to know as it appears that Chevy is not offering a long bed in any configuration for 2023.

amassi

WKR
Rumor has it that Ford may offer a Super Crew with the 6' long bed in 2024. Doesn't help you right now, but that might be good to know as it appears that Chevy is not offering a long bed in any configuration for 2023.
If they do I'd buy 1 in a second to replace my half ton.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Has anybody moved from a full-size to a midsize? I have half thought about trading in my 2014 Raptor for a Ranger Raptor/Tremor.
yes. i tried to go from an 04 titan to a 21 tacoma double cab and I traded it in for an f150 XLT after two weeks. too small. back seat crunched for space and our car seat. driver seat was an awkward angle for me and gave me back and knee pain after longer trips (i'm 6'0 this is just a personal thing, fj and rav4 seats are fine). gas mileage was only around 18 (i get 22 now in a bigger truck) and the power was poor and it shifted funky. truck choice is a lot though on your personal needs.

Last edited:

Gusbus208

FNG
I have a 2012 frontier and I LOVE it. I have the king cab so plenty of room for packs and weapons and I just recently built a drawer system for the back. I have taken that thing up some gnarly roads and it has done really well! No complaints except for a weird placement of the EVAP system. It has sensors on the fill spout of the gas tank so after about .01 miles on dusty roads the check engine light comes on because it thinks my charcoal canister is full. Great truck and a little cheaper it seems also.

I have a 2012 frontier and I LOVE it. I have the king cab so plenty of room for packs and weapons and I just recently built a drawer system for the back. I have taken that thing up some gnarly roads and it has done really well! No complaints except for a weird placement of the EVAP system. It has sensors on the fill spout of the gas tank so after about .01 miles on dusty roads the check engine light comes on because it thinks my charcoal canister is full. Great truck and a little cheaper it seems also.
not sure on your pickup, but the brand new ones look like the biggest overall midsize on the market, might be a good option for those who feel cramped in most midsizes.

my favorite neighbors down the road just got one, and it's a pretty nice pickup, feels bigger than a taco

Keep the full sized truck and learn how to drive them off-road...and dont worry about scratches or small dents..if you are, stay on the macadam. Just because you can drive the truck don't make you good at driving it well in an off-road setting. I learned a lot as a volunteer civil service off-road rescue crew-member for about 10 years. Before that, I thought I was good at driving off-road....... I have a full size Dodge diesel 2500 Heavy Duty 4x4 quad cab shortbox nicely set up and I could go anywhere off-road your weak midsize half a truck will...and then some. Hauling/towing with a midsize, give me a break. Buy it for your wife to haul groceries. The only other truck I would consider would be a Tundra Pro double cab SB if you dont need the 2500 HD capability. I drove my buddy's and it was a very nice and very capable truck..but costly. My brother has a 2020 Colorado double cab, no thanks. Nice truck but too small. Better to learn how to handle off-road in a full size...just one mans opinion of course.

Coldtrail

WKR
Keep the full sized truck and learn how to drive them off-road...and dont worry about scratches or small dents..if you are, stay on the macadam. Just because you can drive the truck don't make you good at driving it well in an off-road setting. I learned a lot as a volunteer civil service off-road rescue crew-member for about 10 years. Before that, I thought I was good at driving off-road....... I have a full size Dodge diesel 2500 Heavy Duty 4x4 quad cab shortbox nicely set up and I could go anywhere off-road your weak midsize half a truck will...and then some. Hauling/towing with a midsize, give me a break. Buy it for your wife to haul groceries. The only other truck I would consider would be a Tundra Pro double cab SB if you dont need the 2500 HD capability. I drove my buddy's and it was a very nice and very capable truck..but costly. My brother has a 2020 Colorado double cab, no thanks. Nice truck but too small. Better to learn how to handle off-road in a full size...just one mans opinion of
For many hunters there isnt really a need to buy a 3/4 ton diesel to haul a few hundred pounds of gear on a backcountry hunting trip, doing so might give the impession that they bought a truck well beyond their needs to make up for some other deficiency they are internally wrestling with........just one man's opinion of course

idahodave

WKR
You're awesome.
Keep the full sized truck and learn how to drive them off-road...and dont worry about scratches or small dents..if you are, stay on the macadam. Just because you can drive the truck don't make you good at driving it well in an off-road setting. I learned a lot as a volunteer civil service off-road rescue crew-member for about 10 years. Before that, I thought I was good at driving off-road....... I have a full size Dodge diesel 2500 Heavy Duty 4x4 quad cab shortbox nicely set up and I could go anywhere off-road your weak midsize half a truck will...and then some. Hauling/towing with a midsize, give me a break. Buy it for your wife to haul groceries. The only other truck I would consider would be a Tundra Pro double cab SB if you dont need the 2500 HD capability. I drove my buddy's and it was a very nice and very capable truck..but costly. My brother has a 2020 Colorado double cab, no thanks. Nice truck but too small. Better to learn how to handle off-road in a full size...just one mans opinion of course.

OP
GarnerAF1

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like the Ranger might be just what I’m looking for.

May consider waiting a while though to compare/contrast the new models coming out between the ‘23 Ranger and the ‘23 Colorado. That ZR2 power is very impressive.

Reactions: PRC

CorbLand

WKR
I always liked the size of the first gen tundra….even the t-100. Toyota needs to be making the taco that size

Toyota just needs to rebuild the 1st gen Tundra. Exactly how it was when it was built. Nothing more, nothing less. Slap a 25-30,000 dollar price tag on it brand new. Things would sell like hot cakes.

I take the nothing more thing back. I would prefer if they went away from press in wheel bearings but I would take it regardless.

Last edited:
6 foot bed and Crew Cab....I see that combo mentioned above. Can ANY of these truck be configured that way currently?

THat's such a Killer to me.

Sold a mud motor to a long time Tacoma guy who had maybe the Colorado Z1 with the mini diesel engine. He was beyond thrilled with his truck.

wesfromky

WKR
6 foot bed and Crew Cab....I see that combo mentioned above. Can ANY of these truck be configured that way currently?

THat's such a Killer to me.

Sold a mud motor to a long time Tacoma guy who had maybe the Colorado Z1 with the mini diesel engine. He was beyond thrilled with his truck.
Nissan Frontier, Tacoma, and the 22 Colorado, but not 23.

I’m in the market for a mid size myself.

I currently have an 2006 Tacoma with almost 300k on it. The truck has been absolutely phenomenal for me. So much that I’m in no hurry to upgrade.

Looking at what’s coming out, I will say that I’m heavily leaning towards getting the new ford ranger raptor when it releases next year. The ranger redesign will bring a bunch of needed changes and even increase the size of the truck a hair.

I don’t like the current gen Tacoma, but the 2024 new gen could be back in the running. It’s rumored to have a lot of the features the new tundra received. Coilover rears and interior upgrade. Hopefully they put in a more powerful engine design and a far better transmission. If it turns out to compete feature/stat wise with the Ranger Raptor, I would take the Tacoma for the insane resell value alone.

I personally will not touch a GM vehicle anytime soon. I’ve had very bad luck with every GM I have had, and have one more to get rid of then I’m done for the time being. The new design looks great, and I’d get the diesel if I were to get the Canyon/Colorado. I’m sure they are great but unfortunately I’ve been burned too much by GM, I need to take a break from them.

I had wanted a Jeep Gladiator but moved that down my list. I miss my old TJ and thought the Gladiator would satisfy that urge. We traded in one of our problematic GM’s for a new Wrangler for my wife. After driving it, all the negative things about my TJ stuck out immediately driving 75 down the interstate. Also I dislike the stock look. I would need to lift and put on 35-37” tires to “look right” to me. I’m preferring to stay closer to stock nowadays. I need my truck to be a daily driver and the Gladiator wouldn’t be as enjoyable running the interstate daily as the Ranger.

I haven’t looked at the Frontier or Ridgeline and have no interest in either.

I do not prefer full size trucks for numerous reasons. All my brothers have F150’s and I have an Expedition, and I don’t need that size daily.

Either way, most of the mid size trucks are entering their new generation builds the next year or 2. If you have time, you might want to wait and see what all the new designs offer.

OP
GarnerAF1

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a mid size myself.

I currently have an 2006 Tacoma with almost 300k on it. The truck has been absolutely phenomenal for me. So much that I’m in no hurry to upgrade.

Looking at what’s coming out, I will say that I’m heavily leaning towards getting the new ford ranger raptor when it releases next year. The ranger redesign will bring a bunch of needed changes and even increase the size of the truck a hair.

I don’t like the current gen Tacoma, but the 2024 new gen could be back in the running. It’s rumored to have a lot of the features the new tundra received. Coilover rears and interior upgrade. Hopefully they put in a more powerful engine design and a far better transmission. If it turns out to compete feature/stat wise with the Ranger Raptor, I would take the Tacoma for the insane resell value alone.

I personally will not touch a GM vehicle anytime soon. I’ve had very bad luck with every GM I have had, and have one more to get rid of then I’m done for the time being. The new design looks great, and I’d get the diesel if I were to get the Canyon/Colorado. I’m sure they are great but unfortunately I’ve been burned too much by GM, I need to take a break from them.

I had wanted a Jeep Gladiator but moved that down my list. I miss my old TJ and thought the Gladiator would satisfy that urge. We traded in one of our problematic GM’s for a new Wrangler for my wife. After driving it, all the negative things about my TJ stuck out immediately driving 75 down the interstate. Also I dislike the stock look. I would need to lift and put on 35-37” tires to “look right” to me. I’m preferring to stay closer to stock nowadays. I need my truck to be a daily driver and the Gladiator wouldn’t be as enjoyable running the interstate daily as the Ranger.

I haven’t looked at the Frontier or Ridgeline and have no interest in either.

I do not prefer full size trucks for numerous reasons. All my brothers have F150’s and I have an Expedition, and I don’t need that size daily.

Either way, most of the mid size trucks are entering their new generation builds the next year or 2. If you have time, you might want to wait and see what all the new designs offer.

This is my hesitation as well, the new Generation Colorado and Canyon absolutely look like something out of a fast and furious movie. So cool and the power out put is incredibly impressive. However I’m just not quite sure I can commit to investing in a GM product.