best mountain rifle under $1,000/over $1,000

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan and I have been talking about lightweight guns and wondering what you all would pick in that range.

Now "over $1,000" gives you lots of room, but we're talking OTC rifles, not the custom jobs if that narrows it down.

I'd have to pick the Remington mountian rifles under $1,000 and the Weatherby Mark IV Super Big Game Masters over $1,000.

what are we missing here?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Under $1000, I would say a Savage. They just shoot. A Remington Model 7 would be another great choice.

Over $1000, I would go with a Cooper Jackson Hunter.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I guess my screen name gives it away for the under a grand. Over a grand ? Choose an action you like and head for the gunsmith. Preferably one specializing in mountain weight rifles. Or,as i did,one specializing in benchrest rifles. A fussier man there never was. Just make sure you choose the barrel contour and stock accordingly. I know it isn't OVtC,but that's my true opinion. Over the counter go handle a bunch and search out folks that have experiance with your favorite pick. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean quality.

hunting1

WKR
A remington 700 Mountain is tough to beat! You could even pick up a G1 Ti stock and be around 6-lbs. Savage would be my next choice and the T3's I have handled in the store feel nice, but no first hand shooting experience.

hodgeman

WKR
Under a grand the Tikka is tough to beat in the "mountain rifle" category.

Over the last 5 years I've put a lot of miles and protein on the ground with a Nosler 48 Sporter.

2rocky

WKR
i thought to myself, '$1000 for a rifle? are they crazy? But then I started adding up my bow, sight, stabilizer, Custom string, one dozen arrows, target,etc. and I'll just shut up now....

I wish we could shoot rifles pre purchase like bows though.

Remington 700 Custom Shop KS- just north on a grand. Best I own...among many other custom rifles. Chambered in a 300 RUM- its a light friend that hammers its prey-

Less than $1,000 - Tikka T3 Lite @ $500-$600

More than $1,000 - Forbes Light Rifle @ $1,400 (whenever they get into distribution)

tstowater

WKR
I shoot a pile of Remingtons in 700s, but I hunt with a Model 70. Frankly, there are several that I think you can buy under a grand that would do an awsome job including, but not limited to: Remingtons, Savage, Ruger?, Winchester(they say the new trigger is a lot better), Tikka, Browning. Over a grand without going custom, I would initially look at Coopers and Kimbers. There are a lot of semi custom and gunsmithed deals that would deserve consideration also. If I were going to do it all over, I would figure out a caliber and have a custom done as I thnk I would be really happy with the results.

Like many others have already stated I also shoot Remington 700's. They have been always treated me right. I have not had any frist hand experience with tht e Tikka's so i cannot comment on that note. I will say that i have not had a Remmy that did not shoot what i consider acceptable for a hunting gun.

JG358

WKR
Under 1K Remington TI and Tikka T3. Dont know about over 1K because when I'm spending more than that on a rifle, its not going to be made on an assembly line. ;)