Best mountain whitetail podcast?

Hey fellas,

I’ll be hunting SE OK in the near future (both archery and rifle). I’ve taken three scouting trips and didn’t see any real hot sign (new or old). Though I don’t know anything about mountain whitetails, I’m kinda obsessed with the idea of giving ‘er a shot.

I’ve killed a few whitetails in my life (nothing larger than a forky), but to be frank I just lucked into them. Looking to gain some knowledge on how to hunt mountain whitetails, i.e. terrain to key in on, different strategies, etc.

Any specific podcasts and/or YouTube channels (or specific videos) I should check out? A local, or someone with experience in that area, to bounce ideas off of would be the cherry on top.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning more from you whitetail fanatics.

2ski

WKR
I don’t know Oklahoma hunting but here in MT, a mountain WT would be find grove of aspens, shoot whitetails. I always see whitetails where there's water and aspens in the mountains.

stump06

WKR
Check out the Southern Outdoorsman Podcast. Its a couple guys from Alabama but they interview hunters from all over and have some straight killers on there. All of their podcasts are a wealth of knowledge but they just had one with Troy Pottenger about hunting scrapes in the mountains. Also all the podcasts with Josh Driver are good too and focuses on hunting terrain features.

OP
carsonkeys
You may check out beau Martonik and the east meets west podcast. He hunts mountain whitetail in Eastern US
I've been watching his scouting mountain whitetail series on YT, but haven't tuned into his podcast just yet. I'll look into it, thanks!

OP
carsonkeys
Check out the Southern Outdoorsman Podcast. Its a couple guys from Alabama but they interview hunters from all over and have some straight killers on there. All of their podcasts are a wealth of knowledge but they just had one with Troy Pottenger about hunting scrapes in the mountains. Also all the podcasts with Josh Driver are good too and focuses on hunting terrain features.
Excellent, never heard of them. I appreciate you dropping specific guests too. Thanks!

Drenalin

WKR
On the East Meets West and Southern Outdoorsmen podcasts, search for episodes with Nathan Killen and Josh Proffit, in addition to Josh Driver as mentioned. The East Meets West website also has an article by Nathan Killen that illustrates some of what he discusses in their podcast together. I'm sure there are other great guests on either podcast, but those are the ones who stand out to me.

The Hunting Public on YouTube is also a good resource, though not specific to hunting mountainous terrain; they also have a podcast if you want to give it a try. They did a scouting series with OnX a couple of years ago that may be helpful. The Hunting Beast puts out good whitetail information on their forum, YouTube, and their podcasts (which I believe are all older). The Hunting Beast stuff isn't at all specific to mountainous terrain, but some of the swamp and marsh information transfers over.

OP
carsonkeys
On the East Meets West and Southern Outdoorsmen podcasts, search for episodes with Nathan Killen and Josh Proffit, in addition to Josh Driver as mentioned. The East Meets West website also has an article by Nathan Killen that illustrates some of what he discusses in their podcast together. I'm sure there are other great guests on either podcast, but those are the ones who stand out to me.

The Hunting Public on YouTube is also a good resource, though not specific to hunting mountainous terrain; they also have a podcast if you want to give it a try. They did a scouting series with OnX a couple of years ago that may be helpful. The Hunting Beast puts out good whitetail information on their forum, YouTube, and their podcasts (which I believe are all older). The Hunting Beast stuff isn't at all specific to mountainous terrain, but some of the swamp and marsh information transfers over.
I personally can’t stand the two hosts but those boys get some incredible guests on from time to time. For eastern mountain hunting, the episode with Devin Duncan is really good. Same for the Jolly brothers.

I've been all over the Hunting Public YT channel, not really as informative as I'm looking for but it sure lights a fire watching those boys get it done! The specific guests/episodes is a huge help. Thanks gentlemen.

Shupe88

WKR
I personally can’t stand the two hosts but those boys get some incredible guests on from time to time. For eastern mountain hunting, the episode with Devin Duncan is really good. Same for the Jolly brothers.

I couldn’t agree more. The hosts don’t seem to know anything, but they have some guests that have a ton of knowledge. The Nathan Killen episode has a ton of information on hunting mountain deer. He’s a straight killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Exodus Trail Cameras has a few podcasts with Steve Shirk from PA. He hunts up in the Allegheny Mountains of PA and has a lot of success. Steve also posts a lot of info on social media.

They also hunt “hill country” which translates perfectly to mountain whitetail. He has some specific stuff on it. Also sells some DVDs on it too.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Carson, don’t know if you remember me, I met you in Colorado last season, we had a burger together at my camp site. I’ve been hunting whitetails in the mountains of Arkansas all of my life, I don’t know what the terrain is like in SE OK but if it’s like where I hunt I always find the food first. Deer prefer acorns over food plots most of the time. Once you find the acorns, start looking for deer sign. My favorite time to hunt is the second week of muzzleloader through second week of November up here in Arkansas. During that time the bucks are starting to scrape and the bucks are on the move checking does. Then November they are rutting. I’d assume deer activity in SE Ok is going to be pushed back a couple weeks from what it is where I hunt, being further South. Once I find the food and deer sign (scrapes are the best, check the scrapes and see if the deer are cleaning them out, if you don’t see any leaves in the scrapes you’ll know they are fresh), I’ll find a good place to set up. I’ll try to find some transition areas like hardwoods meeting a pine thicket. Try to find those transitions around benches or saddles, old grown up roads are good too. Hunt around those areas and you’ll have an opportunity to kill something. Also, Deer like bedding on knobs around those transition areas. Just pay attention to the wind, get to your spot before daylight, and be patient. If it’s durning the rut and you have a rifle and by chance if the leaves are not too crunchy I like to walk a little ways, sit for 15-30 min. During the rut bucks are kinda stupid at times and a lot of times you can walk right up on them and they’ll stand there for a second or two trying to find out what you are. Another tip I like to walk fast when mobile or going to a stand, most of the times if you a slipping through the crunchy leaves they’ll know something is up, but if you walk normal sometimes you can walk right up on them. I don’t do a whole lot of calling. A grunt tube is good to have to turn a buck that is walking away.

OP
carsonkeys
Hey Carson, don’t know if you remember me, I met you in Colorado last season, we had a burger together at my camp site. I’ve been hunting whitetails in the mountains of Arkansas all of my life, I don’t know what the terrain is like in SE OK but if it’s like where I hunt I always find the food first. Deer prefer acorns over food plots most of the time. Once you find the acorns, start looking for deer sign. My favorite time to hunt is the second week of muzzleloader through second week of November up here in Arkansas. During that time the bucks are starting to scrape and the bucks are on the move checking does. Then November they are rutting. I’d assume deer activity in SE Ok is going to be pushed back a couple weeks from what it is where I hunt, being further South. Once I find the food and deer sign (scrapes are the best, check the scrapes and see if the deer are cleaning them out, if you don’t see any leaves in the scrapes you’ll know they are fresh), I’ll find a good place to set up. I’ll try to find some transition areas like hardwoods meeting a pine thicket. Try to find those transitions around benches or saddles, old grown up roads are good too. Hunt around those areas and you’ll have an opportunity to kill something. Also, Deer like bedding on knobs around those transition areas. Just pay attention to the wind, get to your spot before daylight, and be patient. If it’s durning the rut and you have a rifle and by chance if the leaves are not too crunchy I like to walk a little ways, sit for 15-30 min. During the rut bucks are kinda stupid at times and a lot of times you can walk right up on them and they’ll stand there for a second or two trying to find out what you are. Another tip I like to walk fast when mobile or going to a stand, most of the times if you a slipping through the crunchy leaves they’ll know something is up, but if you walk normal sometimes you can walk right up on them. I don’t do a whole lot of calling. A grunt tube is good to have to turn a buck that is walking away.

Hi Ben,

I do remember you and your father! That burger was one of the best meals I had that week. How'd you guys end up doing on that hunt?

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. I've been listening to quite a few podcast/YT videos and have figured out that transition areas are gold, and actually have a scouting trip planned this weekend to verify a few things I'm seeing on GE and see if I can find some old (last years rut) sign. Your explanation validated a lot of what I was thinking.

Quick clarification; are you recommending walking fast to your set-up in the morning, or drop a gear and walk a little slower?

okcaveman

FNG
I grew up hunting SE OK national forest/timber company. Still hunt down there as much as I can. I'd be happy to help put