Best Muzzleloader Scopes?

Hey Rokslide,
I recently got a CVA Accura PR. It's my first muzzleloader and I live in a state that's pretty liberal with their muzzleloaders laws so I can use a variable zoom scope. I'm wanting to get a scope that has really, really good glass but doesn't use more than maybe 9 or 10 power. My local sporting goods store has a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10×42 with the duplex reticle for $550 when that scope MSRP's for $975. What do you think about that scope and what else do you recommend? Thanks.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
They are great scopes but how far are you going to be shooting? Maybe 150 yards max? I have a Nikon with a BDC reticle and use the Nikon On Spot software for my drops. It probably sells for less than half of the Leupold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
The VX5 would be good glass for sure. I've put VX3's on my smoke poles in the past and have zero complaints. My favorite is the recently discontinued 1.75-6x32. That scope is TINY and TOUGH with a nice wide field of view for thick timber. There isn't a medium sized game animal that I can't hit with 6x out to my practical range limitations under field conditions with a muzzleloader. After 200-300 yards they get pretty loopy and likewise get a lot of wind drift. I'm not sure I'd want to haul around the extra 1/2lb in optic of the VX5 on a shorter range weapon like a muzzleloader personally. However, that VX5 would make a pretty outstanding choice for a hunting centerfire rifle that will be used in multiple settings.

OP
KingKleven
They are great scopes but how far are you going to be shooting? Maybe 150 yards max? I have a Nikon with a BDC reticle and use the Nikon On Spot software for my drops. It probably sells for less than half of the Leupold.

It's a 50 Cal with a 28" barrel. It should be able to shoot to 300 but not much further than that.

Duxhunter

FNG
I’m trying to decide on a new scope, I have a Nikon BDC 250 and feel it’s too cluttered. I looked at the Leupold muzzleloader scope and it’s not much different than the Nikon.
Does anyone just use a regular 3x9 without the BDC?

WKR
I put a SIG whiskey 5, 2.4-12x56 on my muzzleloader that Arrowhead rebarreled. Hasnt let me down yet. Taken coues deer and elk with it.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like my Nikon BDC scope. The Spot On Nikon software is great too.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nikon BDC on my Encore. Glass is fine, and BDC matches up decently well. GF and Buddy have Leupold ML BDC scopes on their Encore's and they are simply nicer than the Nikon IMO.
I also have a VX5HD on my Ultimate ML, and that's a fantastic scope. The one you posted is probably excellent for an ML. Question is, do you want CDS or a BDC, and do you want Firedot? Depending on the answers will tell you if that's the right scope.

aythya

FNG
I'm using a Vortex PST Gen 2 on my custom muzzleloader. I don't mind the 31 oz. because weight wasn't a concern for me

Hulions

FNG
I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-12X42 on my T/C Omega. It has the BDC Reticle and is very clean and uncluttered. However, I have Leupold scopes on all of my centerfire rifles. Can't go wrong with a Leupold.

Lapaiki39

FNG
You can get the custom turrent for the Leupold scopes. It works great with muzzleloaders too.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the custom turrent for the Leupold scopes. It works great with muzzleloaders too.
I have wondered if anyone does this for muzzaloaders. I just put a vx6 on my encore and thought about Dialing for fun.

Check out the Sig Sauer Whiskey series, you may like what you see. They will also make you a turret for free when you send in your load data.