Best non custom mountain rifle

Did you weigh it? Christensen quotes 6.5 lbs for the Mesa short action and 7.3 lbs. for long action plus the 7mm Rem mag has a 24" barrel. 6.5 lbs would be impressive.
ya you're correct 6.5lbs was another one of my rifles. the 7mm mag ranges from 7.2 to 7.5lbs on my 2 scales

I’m looking for a .308 for high country hunting (sheep/goat). Currently looking at the Tikka T3X superlite and the Kimber Hunter. Does anybody have any reasons go with one over the other? I’m trying to go as light at possible but the weights on the manufacturers websites are confusing because they don’t match the weights on the distributors websites or what I got when putting one on a scale at a store. I’ve handled the Tikka but not the Kimber. Fit and finish on the Tikka was impressive and I’ve heard it’s less so on the Kimber. Also curious any insight on a lightweight scope. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
You cant go wrong with the tikka here

Roscoehd

FNG
Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM, it has been a challenge to load for it but it is coming around, finally getting some .5" groups out of it, If I had o do over I would either build 1 or buy a Tikka

baevx8

FNG
A ton of good input here. I’m partial to Tikka, but I know there are plenty of options that would do the trick.

zscott

FNG
No complaints with my CA Ridgeline. Haven't actually shot at any game with it but it hits whatever targets I aim at and it has been a joy to carry in the mountains.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kimber Montana and a Cooper 92. I would suggest either, but the cooper was a more accurate rifle out of the box for me. The Kimber is a bit temperamental, but if you find the right load with the right seating depth, it can be a killer.

TexasIcon

FNG
Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM, it has been a challenge to load for it but it is coming around, finally getting some .5" groups out of it, If I had o do over I would either build 1 or buy a Tikka

Picked up one of these earlier and in the year and it’s a damn fine shooting rifle right off the shelf. Taking it to Montana next month as my primary gun. It’s getting harder and harder to find factory rounds for it though.

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
Ive actually been contemplating a switch on my lightweight rifle. I currently run a Christensen Arms MPR that shoots lights out and is light with a folding stock. I want to run a suppressor though which would make it unwieldy. However, Christensen just came out with the MPR pistol and it comes in 6.5. I was thinking of sticking a suppressor on that and using it. With my shots within 400 yards I dont think the velocity loss from the shorter barrel would matter much for deer sized game.

EDIT: Actually, that idea won't work. Just went back to the website and noticed it has one of those pistol stocks on it that wouldn't work for any serious longer range shooting.

Last edited:
I have an old ruger m77 .308 that I bought as a “barreled action”. Thing has a mile long throat, but if you seat the bullet way out there it’s a tack driver. By far my favorite rifle to carry. I have better ones but it just feels good and gets the job done.

Tikka t3x super lite has served me well. Picked it up this summer at SW and killed my first Backcountry buck with it this year.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk