Best non custom mountain rifle

Rifles I've had experience with:
Pre '64 Winchester model 70 FW 30/06 (y) pure class that has no rival. THE ORIGINAL MOUNTAIN RIFLE
Remington 700 Ti Gen 1 .270 (n) a bit of a let down at 1.5-2 MOA
Cooper back country 338/06 (n) (n) uneven bolt engagement, bolt stop fell out, feeding issues
Tikka T3x 6.5 CM (y) it's like a sore peter, you can't beat it
Kimber Montana 6.5 CM :poop: I never met a 6.5 CM that wouldn't shoot until I bought this hunk of crap. Kimber CS was no help.
Kimber Montana .270 Win(n) spectacularly disappointing again, Kimber CS was no help
Ruger 77 MK II UL .270 Win :( shot great but 20" barrel crippled it and made it too loud, it coulda been a contender if they put a 22" 8 twist barrel on it
Barrett Fieldcraft .270 Win (y)(y) If it had a 3 position safety it would be perfection. I hope they go back in to production.
Browning A-Bolt SS 7/08 (y)(y) One of the most accurate rifles I've ever had out of the box, deep regrets about trading it away
NULA .308 :) Not really a production rifle but I traded for one and it was everything a mountain rifle should be and deserves mention

From my perspective, I'd put Tikka first if you want the most bang for your buck, Barrett first if you don't mind spending a bit more and want to tweak less, and Winchester first if you want to be old school cool. A pre '64 Winchester FW thats a shooter grade falls right in the middle cost wise between the Tikka and Barrett.

cbeard64

WKR
I love old Winchesters too! I carried a Pre-64 Model 70 in .300 Win Mag on my first sheep hunt. It was a shooter grade so I had it Cerakoted to keep from having to worry about rust. Carried it on several elk hunts also. I would still be carrying it if not for the weight saved by the Finnlights.

brsnow

WKR
My fieldcraft stocks fit me better than my kimbers but both brands shoot great. The kimbers is noticeably lighter.

caleb_22

FNG
browning hells canyon, 28 nosler, lightweight, super accurate with 160 gr nosler accubonds

I'm partial to a...
Tikka T3 Stainless/Camo combo. It comes in 5 calibers at a $900 price point. It's a Cabela's Exclusive with a fluted barrel, and if your patient every now and then you get a coupon good for use on guns! That particular Tikka .300 Win Mag starts at 6lbs. I have one and my scale said 5lb 14oz w/o the scope, so even better! A stock magnum under 7lbs w/scope! If you don't want a mag, same 6lb starting weight.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Magnums are 6 3/4lbs and the non-magnums are a 1lb lighter, but twice the price of a Tikka. Double the price for a quarter pound? At least it is a Mark V which means tighter tolerances over the Vanguards.

Otherwise as stated, a used Kimber Montana can be found under a grand and a new one just over. For a pretty penny a NULA can be had, but that's starting to get custom?
I’ve always had a t
I'm partial to a...
Tikka T3 Stainless/Camo combo. It comes in 5 calibers at a $900 price point. It's a Cabela's Exclusive with a fluted barrel, and if your patient every now and then you get a coupon good for use on guns! That particular Tikka .300 Win Mag starts at 6lbs. I have one and my scale said 5lb 14oz w/o the scope, so even better! A stock magnum under 7lbs w/scope! If you don't want a mag, same 6lb starting weight.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Magnums are 6 3/4lbs and the non-magnums are a 1lb lighter, but twice the price of a Tikka. Double the price for a quarter pound? At least it is a Mark V which means tighter tolerances over the Vanguards.

Otherwise as stated, a used Kimber Montana can be found under a grand and a new one just over. For a pretty penny a NULA can be had, but that's starting to get custom?
I’ve also been partial to Tikka, I have a 270, but I want to get a 300 win mag. My question is do you know if the barrel can be threaded?

kcm2

WKR
Why limit yourself? Just change one thing per year or so. I'm a lefty so when I bought my 270, there was 3 LH rifles out there: Savage, Remington and Weatherby. I replaced the stock, barrel, and trigger over the years, getting it down to 6.5 lbs scoped and loaded. That being said, if I were right handed, it would be Tikka or Savage Ultralight or Savage Storm. Have fun.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My current Kimber and the few that have passed my way have been great, I'd have zero issues buying another one. My dad used a mountain ascent on his elk hunt this year and had nothing but good things to say about it, I've shot a sheep, a pile of caribou and some blacktails with my 308 and will be using it on an audad in a few weeks.

hunting1

WKR
My current Kimber and the few that have passed my way have been great, I'd have zero issues buying another one. My dad used a mountain ascent on his elk hunt this year and had nothing but good things to say about it, I've shot a sheep, a pile of caribou and some blacktails with my 308 and will be using it on an audad in a few weeks.

What he said! My Kimber Montana in 308 goes on every hunt. The others don't get much love since she moved in. I always get the urge for a new hunting rifle and ask why? This one drops what I aim at. Elk in 3-weeks and barbary sheep in February.

Jnmullins

FNG
I have a Model 7 in 7mm RSAUM that shoots very well, is handy, and relatively lightweight (haven't weighed it). 7 RSAUM is not really a cartridge I would recommend in a Model 7, but I got a great deal on it.

I've always heard good things about Howa rifles and have a 223 heavy barreled Howa 1500. It is accurate and nicely finished. If I remember correctly, they come from the same factory as the Weatherby Vanguards.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
How come we never hear anything about the Montana Rifle Co? Not a bad price starting at just over $1k and $1300 for the weather warrior in stainless.

These any good http://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html
I have a MRC X3. I heard some mixed result but my experience has been great. The gun shoots sub 3/4" groups at 200 yards, the action functions as it should, and is well balanced. In this particular subforum, it would fail the scales as it is not an ultralight rifle. For a factory lightweight, a great option is the Barret Fieldcraft.