Best non custom mountain rifle

Shraggs

WKR
Been awhile since I read this so forgive me if it’s listed. Although I live my kimber Montana 308 I think my browning blr 358 is nipping at it!

6.5 lbs is not bad, 20” barrel is handy and balances better than my bolt guns. More like a compact lo wall single.

sako 75 ss in 300wsm with Zeiss conquestV4 4-16x x 44mm. Great all around package. 2nd would be Tikka T3 is same caliber and optics

Tilley

FNG
I'll second the Seekins Havak Element, I love mine. I have no complaints about it.

I’m looking for a .308 for high country hunting (sheep/goat). Currently looking at the Tikka T3X superlite and the Kimber Hunter. Does anybody have any reasons go with one over the other? I’m trying to go as light at possible but the weights on the manufacturers websites are confusing because they don’t match the weights on the distributors websites or what I got when putting one on a scale at a store. I’ve handled the Tikka but not the Kimber. Fit and finish on the Tikka was impressive and I’ve heard it’s less so on the Kimber. Also curious any insight on a lightweight scope. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
check out the Kimber Hunter thread, some good info in there and ways to lighten it even further

with a lightweight scope/mounts, pretty easy to get a sub 6 lb rifle all in; mine is a .308 and with 165 grain Nosler Accubonds I have no problems w/ MOA accuracy

zKIzSrQ.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh and as far as scopes Leupold has several in the sub 13 oz range, Swaro Z3's also in that range

I’m looking for a .308 for high country hunting (sheep/goat). Currently looking at the Tikka T3X superlite and the Kimber Hunter. Does anybody have any reasons go with one over the other? I’m trying to go as light at possible but the weights on the manufacturers websites are confusing because they don’t match the weights on the distributors websites or what I got when putting one on a scale at a store. I’ve handled the Tikka but not the Kimber. Fit and finish on the Tikka was impressive and I’ve heard it’s less so on the Kimber. Also curious any insight on a lightweight scope. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
There's a few:

Kimber: Has controlled round feed, 3 wing safety, true short action, curved trigger, very "plastic" feeling stock, pencil barrel, and can be made very light by removing the gel in stock. Many have complained about the recoil in 308 with this rifle.

Tikka: Push feed, two position remington style safety, standard action length so a bit longer length/weight, flat trigger, sporter barrel, plastic but rigid stock, changeable grip, superlite has fluting.

Really just comes down to what options you prefer.

HiZ

FNG
Anyone get after a Savage 100 ultralight?
Just picked up a 300 WSM and am interested in some opinions.

HiZ

FNG
2+1
How many do you really need though.
Also less weight

What round piggy back holder is that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
2+1
Also less weight

I got that from Amazon. It's a knockoff of the short action precision one, which I think is available on gohunt.com now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
2+1
Also less weight

I don’t keep one in the chamber while I’m hunting, I know some guys do but I never felt the need or missed an animal because I had to chamber a round.

So for me it would be a 2 shot rifle which is insufficient.