Best non custom mountain rifle

I don’t keep one in the chamber while I’m hunting, I know some guys do but I never felt the need or missed an animal because I had to chamber a round.

So for me it would be a 2 shot rifle which is insufficient.
I went back and forth on this for months prior to ordering a Premier Mountain 2.0. Ultimately, I couldn’t find anything at $2k that checked all the boxes, and that was the closest. Still waiting on the gun, but I have a SAP cartridge holder waiting for it. Guess I’ll find out if 2 + 2 is enough.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been impressed with my Kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag, I’ve managed to make a few loads for it that easily make sub 1” groups. I’ve got a load with 200g Accubonds and one with 166g hammers. It weighs around 7.5lbs all up and with the brake it’s quite manageable. It’s the first gun I’ve used with a brake, I was never a fan in the past but after shooting this gun, I have no problem with it. I’ll use it this year for a sheep hunt as well as moose and bear.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
At the risk of having an unpopular favorite. I would choose the Blaser R8 Professional. And if force me to choose on caliber, it would be the 6.5x55 Swede.
The Blaser R8 Pro is advantageous for the following reasons:
Very accurate - for the life of me I can't shoot anything worse than 1/2 MOA with this stick.
Trigger - Trigger breaks crisply (single-stage) at 1.9 lbs
Fast - The straight pull bolt operation allows me to get back on quicker than a lift bolt action.
Safe - The safety mechanism decocks or unloads the firing pin making it impossible for a ND situation.
Takedown - The rifle design allows you to manipulate two bolts and take the weapon down with zero effect on your zero.
Pointable - At 40.25 inches this rifle is easy to still hunt/stalk with and weighs 8.7 lbs fully loaded with a Swaro Z6i (2nd Gen) 2.5-15x56mm Obj
Versatile - You can do caliber switches on this rifle (.222 Rem up to .500 Jeffery).

The downside = It aint cheap!
Excellent caliber!

LightFoot

WKR
I don’t keep one in the chamber while I’m hunting, I know some guys do but I never felt the need or missed an animal because I had to chamber a round.

So for me it would be a 2 shot rifle which is insufficient.
My Ultralite holds 3, 6.5 PRC in the magazine and closes and feeds for 3+1, no problem...

4898008f8c1cdf01cb31f5c3198a56c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I have Tikkas and some Barrett Fieldcrafts. The interesting thing with the Tikkas is that they are 1 lb. heavier than the Barretts in the short action .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. That is because all Tikkas are constructed in a long action. Go to a .270 or a .300 WIn Mag and the weight difference is far less. Same with the Kimbers. The Tikkas do not gain weight as the bullets get longer.

CoStick

WKR
I have Tikkas and some Barrett Fieldcrafts. The interesting thing with the Tikkas is that they are 1 lb. heavier than the Barretts in the short action .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. That is because all Tikkas are constructed in a long action. Go to a .270 or a .300 WIn Mag and the weight difference is far less. Same with the Kimbers. The Tikkas do not gain weight as the bullets get longer.
My .270 win fieldcraft is 5.5lbs, what does a tikka weigh?

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a Barrett .270 but my Fieldcraft 25-06 weighs 5 lbs 11 oz or maybe even 5 lbs 12 oz. A Tikka Superliite in ,270 weighs 6 lbs 2 oz or maybe 6 lbs 4 oz. Basically the same as a Tikka Superlite 6.5 Creedmoor. My Barrett 6.5 Creedmoor is barely over 5 lbs.

CoStick

WKR
I don't have a Barrett .270 but my Fieldcraft 25-06 weighs 5 lbs 11 oz or maybe even 5 lbs 12 oz. A Tikka Superliite in ,270 weighs 6 lbs 2 oz or maybe 6 lbs 4 oz. Basically the same as a Tikka Superlite 6.5 Creedmoor. My Barrett 6.5 Creedmoor is barely over 5 lbs.
Had a 6:5 cm 24” cerakote fieldcraft 5lb 9oz, my .270 is 5lb 8oz. Both in line with specs. I added a brake and have had the stock trimmed a bit, so not sure on bare weight currently. If you ever want to sell the 25-06, let me know:)

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I will keep that in mind. I just love the Fieldcrafts and started buying a few. I mainly shoot paper and rarely use the hunting rifles. I have a Tikka with a heavy 6mm Creedmoor barrel and a cheap KRG Bravo stock. It makes me laugh at how well it shoots and I have so little invested in it. I keep coming back to it every time I go to the range. It makes it too easy I need serious improvement in my skills when using a low powered scope at 200-300 yards.

I don’t disagree with the logic stated here but I will point out the Tikka Superlite in 308 weighs in just under 6 pounds naked. I can’t explain why they would advertise it heavier on their own site but weighed it at the store, because I’ve been nerding out on gun weights lately.

What did the shopkeep say to the guy that walked into the gun store with a scale?...WTF!

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I was changing scopes on some rifles. Out of Curiosity, I removed the scopes and rings and actually weighed some of my rifles.
Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor 21" barrel. 5 Lbs 4.6 oz
Barrett Fieldcraft 25 06 24" Barrel 5 lbs 12.5 oz
Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor 18.5" barrel with thread protector (Chopped down from a 21") 5 lbs 1.5 oz
Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creedmoor 21" Barrel 6 lbs 2.9 oz (I may have left the mag in the gun)
Tikka T3X Veil Wideland 6.5 PRC 24" Barrel with Brake 7 lbs 0 oz ( A little less with the thread protector)

I have a Barrett 308 21". I did not get around to stripping this one. It looks identical to the 6.5 Creedmoor in every way. I assume it weighs slightly less than the 6.5 Creedmoor due to the larger hole in the barrel.

Loper

WKR
What did the shopkeep say to the guy that walked into the gun store with a scale?...WTF!

I was just wondering about this a couple of days ago and if anyone has ever taken a scale into the store. I’ll probably be doing it on my next purchase.