Best non custom mountain rifle

16Bore

WKR
About 20 minutes and a dull soldering iron can make that fake checkering plenty grippy

Beendare

WKR
Interesting that there are so many Kimber fans with the reports of some having less than desirable accuracy.

I don't know how you can beat the Tikka- considering weight, accuracy and price.....and on the lower end of the price range my Savage LH bolt is pretty accurate- though with some of the cost cutting on it I wouldn't consider it a good mtn rifle option- great for coyotes

MRidge

FNG
I don't own one, however will one of these days, so don't get me wrong on the Tikka - I'd ensure one is carrying an additional magazine. ( Or look for a option to the plastic in case it's dropped )????
My stable is full of Remington's - My light one is a Stainless Synthetic Mtn in .280

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own one, however will one of these days, so don't get me wrong on the Tikka - I'd ensure one is carrying an additional magazine. ( Or look for a option to the plastic in case it's dropped )????
My stable is full of Remington's - My light one is a Stainless Synthetic Mtn in .280

I've dropped the plastic Tikka mags on the concrete in the shop more than once and haven't broken one yet. And if you ever forgot or lost your magazine on a hunt, you can still easily single feed it.

Yes what Justin just said is correct. The plastic magazine is pretty tough and I have not broken one yet. I trusted it 100% on my sheep hunt in Alaska and did not bring a backup. If you were able to loose the magazine or break it in the field the rifle will still function and can shoot as a single shot hand feeding it rounds.

My mtn rifle used to be a 21" .280 ADL, switched to a Browning A-Bolt II in 7mmWSM.
I loved my .280, but I like the A-Bolt better.
Hunt'nFish

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to a...
Tikka T3 Stainless/Camo combo. It comes in 5 calibers at a $900 price point. It's a Cabela's Exclusive with a fluted barrel, and if your patient every now and then you get a coupon good for use on guns! That particular Tikka .300 Win Mag starts at 6lbs. I have one and my scale said 5lb 14oz w/o the scope, so even better! A stock magnum under 7lbs w/scope! If you don't want a mag, same 6lb starting weight.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Magnums are 6 3/4lbs and the non-magnums are a 1lb lighter, but twice the price of a Tikka. Double the price for a quarter pound? At least it is a Mark V which means tighter tolerances over the Vanguards.

Otherwise as stated, a used Kimber Montana can be found under a grand and a new one just over. For a pretty penny a NULA can be had, but that's starting to get custom?

Tikka stainless steel .300 win mag all the way. Best value by far

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used a Tikka T3 30-06 for several years. I keep thinking about getting something a bit lighter, but keep coming back to the Tikka. Almost everyone I know that has purchased a mountain hunting rifle in the last few years has went the Tikka route.

16Bore

WKR
Mine was 7lb 2oz, scoped. My 270WSM Montana is the same weight. That's about as light as I wanna be. If i want less weight, I'm looking at packs, boots, bags, etc. Most guys would benefit more from fewer cheeseburgers.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Mine was 7lb 2oz, scoped. My 270WSM Montana is the same weight. That's about as light as I wanna be. If i want less weight, I'm looking at packs, boots, bags, etc. Most guys would benefit more from fewer cheeseburgers.

My .308 Montana with 12 rounds on it and scope, sling, and rifle cover is about 6.5 pounds and 5.5 pounds with just the scope and rings. I have never once wished it was heavier.......just so I can keep eating the cheeseburgers :)

avodude

Lil-Rokslider

Given a choice, I would choose a heavy cheeseburger and a light hunting rifle over a light cheeseburger and a heavy hunting rifle!