best non-resident state for a bivy style elk hunt?

sk1

WKR
looking to do my first out of state archery elk hunt in 2013 (hey never too early to plan)

i currently live in utah, where do you guys think i should look to give it a try? im looking for my best odds for an over the counter tag, i don't care about the size of the bull as im still fairly new to hunting out west....my initial thoughts and through reading has me thinking wyoming, although i havent even done enough research to see if they offer OTC bull archery tags or if it's mostly limited entry like utah

any advise on what state a non-resident should start researching to do a 4 to 7 day bivy hunt would be awesome

thanks guys

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
All non resident tags in Wyoming are on a draw system. Colorado offers some good hunting on OTC tags with plenty of wilderness areas and roadless areas to hunt.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
anyone know off-hand if idaho is also a draw system? or do they have any otc tags for archery

im only an hour from the idaho border which would make it easy....but maybe colorado would be the right choice due to tags, amount of country, and elk...

just looking for opinions on a good place to start, i appreciate it

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get a NR WY tag through the draw 100%. It is a general tag and kinda pricey. Idaho is a beautiful state with lots of OTC tags and lots of wolves. Good thing there is you could have the opportunity to shoot a wolf. Colorado is loaded with elk and OTC possibiliites. I would probably lean that direction if I were you.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Colorado is probably your best choice for Bivy hunting. Most of the general units in Wyoming that would get you away from people require a guide for Non-Residents. Most of the Windriver Range and the Big Horns are in that category. Sad that you can backpack all you want, any time of year, but to carry a weapon you must have a guide. It's your life, you should be able to risk it how you see fit, ha.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
yeah i had looked at a few wilderness units in wyoming, bummer about the guide thing kinda stupid imo...sounding more and more like colorado has the most opportunities...if i were to look at idaho i would do the southern portion, hopefully the wolf issue wouldn't be as bad...im sure they are here in utah but i havent heard too many people complaining about them yet

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted Idaho is otc, show the cash and get a tag. They have not sold out for 3 years running. You have 2 choices and A or a B tag. A tag heavy for archery 9-6/9-30, with a week of rifle in October. B tag two weeks of rifle in October and 1 week of archery. There are still plenty of elk to be had in Idaho, both North and South. The wolves are changing things for sure, but the populations remain steady in many areas. Give me a state where you can buy two bull tags come 8/28 and i will be hunting it, both with a bow and with a rifle. GL in the state you choose.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks, idaho would be more convenient but colorado country sure seems like a heck of an experience......i could hunt the north cache unit in utah, and at the peak it goes over into idaho if i could get a tag for that area would be a pretty cool deal....ill have to look into that option as well

IDaho is what you're looking for. Yes there are wolves and grizzlies in parts of the state, but be smart and you'll be fine. You'll get a chance at larger bulls in Idaho as it was way less hunters than colorado. But you will not have the density of elk. You can even hunt them in archery, and if you dont fill bring back your 30-06 and chase them with the rifle. I'll be doing both states this year so my decision is easy.

trdhunter

WKR
There are a few any bull areas in Northern Utah if you can get away from the crowds. I live in utah county and have rifle hunted these units but have not archery hunted these areas yet. Looking to do that this year. Most of my archery elk hunts have been on spike only units. Hunted colorado quite a few years ago with rifle, and would really like to go back with bow and pack.

B

bearguide

in utah keep putting in for the limited entry, then you will have a great chance at big elk. i like southern colorado, and wyo.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned several times Idaho is a great choice, the tags are available OTC for archery hunters in most areas on the A tag option and there are still plenty of units that have good elk numbers for the DIY hunter willing to put in the effort. PM me and I would be happy to help you out.

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
As already mentioned again, Idaho has ALOT of options available to non-res OTC hunters... + the added bonus of a chance at a wolf! Also depending on the uni/ zone you choose, if you aren't lucky enough to fill your tag there are 1 week rifle spike hunts available in some areas... I'd be happy to help too, just give me a holler if you'd like...

Montana has what they call a "big game combo" that's an almost guaranteed tag. In most areas you can kill either sex elk and a buck mule deer/any whitetail. So if you hunt during archery season and are unsuccessful, you can head back for rifle season.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

jmez

WKR
Montana has what they call a "big game combo" that's an almost guaranteed tag. In most areas you can kill either sex elk and a buck mule deer/any whitetail. So if you hunt during archery season and are unsuccessful, you can head back for rifle season.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

The big game combo's sold out this year and some didn't get tags. The elk only didn't sell out but they didn't have many left over after the draw.