Best Nut Butters

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I've been packing the little Jif cups of creamy peanut butter for the last few years, but I'm looking to switch things up. I just came across Justin's brand, but reviews are all over the place. I wanted to get your all's opinion on your favorites. So lets hear them.

Btaylor

WKR
I like the peanut butter with honey and Almond butter with honey from Justin's. Their version of nutella is good too.

TheCougar

WKR
I was going to go with Justin’s, then I found RX nut butters at Walmart of all places. Pretty much identical calories per weight with more protein by virtue of a gratuitous egg white they add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to go with Justin’s, then I found RX nut butters at Walmart of all places. Pretty much identical calories per weight with more protein by virtue of a gratuitous egg white they add.

How is the taste on those? Will it replace the good ole Jif, haha

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
None will replace Jif taste wise, especially if you grew up eating it. I still bring the JIF, also bring a few packets of the Justin’s Almond cinnamon and cashew maple just to switch things up.

hoff1ck

WKR
Tough to beat Justin's. Really haven't had a bad one yet. If you have Prime, they're pretty cheap on Amazon too.

Not an exact replacement but Clif makes a nut butter filled bar. I just bought a box of half peanut butter filled half chocolate peanut butter filled. Not sure where they land when it comes to calories per ounce compared to straight JIF but I figured they were worth a try to mix it up a bit. I don't have them in front of me but I think they were 230 calories at 1.74 ounces.

TheCougar

WKR
I thought the almond maple one was really really good. I’d take it over jiffy any day.

Bbrinks

FNG
If you have an Aldi close by they’re selling the 1.15oz packets for $1.99. Definitely recommend them

Attachments

• 93884733-7856-44B6-8E6A-11E6CBB88EFA.jpeg
    93884733-7856-44B6-8E6A-11E6CBB88EFA.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 32
  • ED1CDDA3-A013-484D-B9E2-1DB8B3A29378.jpeg
    ED1CDDA3-A013-484D-B9E2-1DB8B3A29378.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 30
F BoMbs are one of my favorite but to cut costs i will try a store brand nut butter and add some olive oil packets to each meal

*zap*

WKR
I think raw almond butter is the best from a nutritional standpoint. I think roasting nuts effects the fats. Trader Joes I can get for $33 shipped, 3#. The only ingredient is raw almonds. Good fats and low sugar.

Raw almonds is always on the top 10 foods lists.

Smuckers makes a good Natural peanut butter which has only peanuts in it. But I think raw almond butter is healthier.

Read the labels on nut butters because some need refrigeration after opening.

outward

FNG
For something different try sunflower butter. Its a seed of course, not a nut, but that's neither here nor there. Actually peanuts aren't nuts either (they're legumes, like peas). But anyway, sunflower butter is absolutely delicious IMO and very healthy. Not sure if you try to avoid sugar/carbs or run a higher fat diet (Keto or even just appreciate healthy fats in your diet), but sunflower butter goes very well with other fats. Helps the body utilize healthy fats. Its also pretty good on the Omega 3 vs 6 balance and doesn't seem to cause inflammation the way some other nut butters do. Use it just like peanut butter. One of my favorite things to do is dip Flackers in it. Here's a link to my favorite, but the Amazon price is double what I pay locally: https://www.amazon.com/Onceagain-Organic-Sunflower-Butter-Ounce/dp/B008K4HTN4

ranch

FNG
Probar makes some pretty solid almond and peanut butters. Come in a variety of different flavors. They are slightly more expensive but I have seen the on sale for a $1 at Whole Foods.

Macadamia nut butter is one of the highest calorie per ounce out there. Definitely a little more expensive but taste great to me.

*zap*

WKR
The fats from natural nut butters are very good for you....especially if your physically active. They are probably one of the best things to eat on a backcountry camping/hunting trip. Avocados are right up there also.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not an exact replacement but Clif makes a nut butter filled bar. I just bought a box of half peanut butter filled half chocolate peanut butter filled. Not sure where they land when it comes to calories per ounce compared to straight JIF but I figured they were worth a try to mix it up a bit. I don't have them in front of me but I think they were 230 calories at 1.74 ounces.

I just tried some of these on a recent snowshoeing trip (little early for snowshoeing I know :))- they are pretty good. I'll be getting more.