Best of Both Worlds

Hey y'all! Long time lurker, not an often poster. Trying to do more of that to be honest. Something I've been mulling around lately is backpack choice. I'm from Southwest VA, but have moved just across the state line to Northeast TN. I typically only do day hunts on private land among my friends and family, but want to eventually make the jump for weekend overnights. I already do some light backpacking as well and I'm used to camping in this way, but would love to extend those trips as well.

My question is, is it worth dropping the extra cash one time (buy once cry once) and grabbing something like a Stone Glacier or Kitfaru and using that for longer backpacking trips, back country hunting, etc? My thought process is while hunting packs are more expensive, the difference in weight is negligible for the amount of extra carrying capacity compared to something like an Osprey (who's packs I love for hiking currently). Any thoughts?

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve pieced together a Kifaru duplex light frame, 44 mag, Sherman, claymore, large and medium belt pouches from the classifieds on here for about $700. They are all in great condition. It’s all the same color and is super heavy duty and comfortable. If you are patient, you can mix and match brands and piece together a great system.

I spent A LOT of time researching on this forum.
Good luck!

Huntin_GI

WKR
If you aren't hunting anywhere other than east/northeast TN, it would be hard for me to justify a full backcountry hunting pack setup.

I am originally from coal country north of Knoxville. All the hunting I did when I lived backed there, nothing ever demanded a frame pack capable of 80+lbs. Realistically, how deep can you hunt in the country?

If you hunt out west ever so often and plan on a backpack style hunt, then yes, spend the money.

Otherwise, save the cheddar.

OP
Jagrules20
If you aren't hunting anywhere other than east/northeast TN, it would be hard for me to justify a full backcountry hunting pack setup.

I am originally from coal country north of Knoxville. All the hunting I did when I lived backed there, nothing ever demanded a frame pack capable of 80+lbs. Realistically, how deep can you hunt in the country?

If you hunt out west ever so often and plan on a backpack style hunt, then yes, spend the money.

Otherwise, save the cheddar.
Definitely not a ton of opportunity around here for those style of hunts, but there's always opportunity out west. Father in law has mentioned trips a few times and my thought process is this would be a good investment even towards that.

OP
Jagrules20
Both probably good choices, depending on what fits you best. I have an Exo I'd let you try out - sounds like you're in my neck of the woods.
Totally forgot about EXO, I'll look into them as well and potentially could hit you up on that offer.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar decision making position, and I decided to just spend the money and know that I would have a pack that would work for any situation I might run into. I ended up spending the money on a SG, knowing that it could very well be the last pack I buy. 95% of my use is day trips, but I do like to backpack camp with the kids on occasion, works great for both. When hunting, I know that with this pack I have the option to quarter a deer and carry, rather than drag. If I ever decide to make a longer backpack trip, I will be able to.

mlgc20

WKR
I do a lot of backpacking and backpacking hunting. I still like to have separate packs for those different tasks. For example, I have a 6-day hike coming up in the Wyoming wilderness. For that I am taking a Zpacks pack that weighs 24 ounces. My total weight carried will be <20 pounds. No need to take a 5-7 pound pack to carry less than 20 pounds. But, come the fall when I am hunting then I take my EXO. I'm carrying more gear/weight and hopefully will need to pack out an animal. None of my other packs are up to that task. IMO, there really isn't a pack that does everything exceptionally well.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Definitely not a ton of opportunity around here for those style of hunts, but there's always opportunity out west. Father in law has mentioned trips a few times and my thought process is this would be a good investment even towards that.
See MLGC20s reply.
I do a lot of backpacking and backpacking hunting. I still like to have separate packs for those different tasks. For example, I have a 6-day hike coming up in the Wyoming wilderness. For that I am taking a Zpacks pack that weighs 24 ounces. My total weight carried will be <20 pounds. No need to take a 5-7 pound pack to carry less than 20 pounds. But, come the fall when I am hunting then I take my EXO. I'm carrying more gear/weight and hopefully will need to pack out an animal. None of my other packs are up to that task. IMO, there really isn't a pack that does everything exceptionally well.
Its alot like saying I may go hunt out west one day, so I'm gonna get this 300wby mag as my go to rifle which will be used for whitetails 98% of the time it comes out of the safe.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a good pack. Just perspective.

OP
Jagrules20
See MLGC20s reply.

Its alot like saying I may go hunt out west one day, so I'm gonna get this 300wby mag as my go to rifle which will be used for whitetails 98% of the time it comes out of the safe.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a good pack. Just perspective.
Definitely understand that perspective, and have considered that, but from a tool perspective you should absolutely use the tool in multiple ways. I'd argue you shouldn't buy a gun for a singular activity. That's the reason I'm considering a do it all solution for a pack as opposed to splitting things up by activity. The weight difference is negligible on most packs, so far I've yet to see a reason not to just splurge on something that's multi use.

OP
Jagrules20
I was in a similar decision making position, and I decided to just spend the money and know that I would have a pack that would work for any situation I might run into. I ended up spending the money on a SG, knowing that it could very well be the last pack I buy. 95% of my use is day trips, but I do like to backpack camp with the kids on occasion, works great for both. When hunting, I know that with this pack I have the option to quarter a deer and carry, rather than drag. If I ever decide to make a longer backpack trip, I will be able to.
I was hoping to at least have an answer or two like this to somewhat validate my thought process. I'm not a UL backpacker or camper. I have comfort items and I like to carry better food options. That usually means more weight. If I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather have the pack that can carry the extra weight.

I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of separate bags, especially if you're going to spend the $ on a hunting bag AND a hiking pack. Seems excessive to me. Appreciate the reply.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to at least have an answer or two like this to somewhat validate my thought process. I'm not a UL backpacker or camper. I have comfort items and I like to carry better food options. That usually means more weight. If I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather have the pack that can carry the extra weight.

I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of separate bags, especially if you're going to spend the $ on a hunting bag AND a hiking pack. Seems excessive to me. Appreciate the reply.
decision wasn't all that much based on weight of the pack. I've never had a real lightweight pack, so I don't know any better.

GeoFish

FNG

I am a White tail hunter. Ordered a Kifaru Stryker XL.
Also saddle hunt. Almost any pack would work early to mid season. But when the weather gets cold I needed a pack that could pack in cold weather gear. Also need to pack out meat.
So after trying different packs. I just decided to go first class. This pack should do it all for me.

OP
Jagrules20
I am a White tail hunter. Ordered a Kifaru Stryker XL.
Also saddle hunt. Almost any pack would work early to mid season. But when the weather gets cold I needed a pack that could pack in cold weather gear. Also need to pack out meat.
So after trying different packs. I just decided to go first class. This pack should do it all for me.
Glad to hear it. I'm getting more sold on this route to be honest. I'm even planning out some longer hunts to justify the purchase a little more.

ethan

WKR
I don’t live to far from you on the plateau. I have a thing for packs as I hunt out west, hunt deep enough in our mountains to have to quarter animals and pack out and do a lot of backpacking as well. I have had many packs and I think they’re well worth it, especially if you find one hat can fill several roles. I switched to a seek outside pack a couple years ago and love it, I use it for huniting, backpacking, hauling stands and minerals, and just about anything else I can think of.

I have separate packs for hunting and regular backpacking and that’s what I would suggest — backpacking with your typical 5-8 lb hunting pack is like commuting in a big truck, it can be done but I’d rather use my <2.5 lb backpacking bag.

But if you are dead set on crossover packs Seek is a good option if they fit you, they have a good balance of weight carrying ability while being fairly light