Best Optics Setup That Can Cover Most Landscapes?

Hi everyone I’m looking for some input on optics here. I’m planning on going on an OTC Utah Spike bull hunt next year with my dad. Right now optically all I have is 8x30 SLC’s. I’m planning on running those as my chest binos. Do you guys think I should get a pair of 12’s or 15’s for glassing off a tripod or just get a spotter? I’m looking hard at the Maven CS.1. I’m only 20 years old and am just wanting something that will have me covered over the next few years for most places I go when paired with my 8x30’s. Thanks!

Huntin_GI

WKR
First, is this a one and done western hunt? Second, is your Dad going to be carrying an optic?

You have an incredible pair of binos. A little light in the magnification department but being as your only 20, and you don't have a track record of hunting the west often(presumably), then I would recommend saving your cash and if you end up hunting the west every year or multiple times a year, then jump into the B.1 range of optics.

I

OP
H
First, is this a one and done western hunt? Second, is your Dad going to be carrying an optic?

You have an incredible pair of binos. A little light in the magnification department but being as your only 20, and you don't have a track record of hunting the west often(presumably), then I would recommend saving your cash and if you end up hunting the west every year or multiple times a year, then jump into the B.1 range of optics.

I
Definitely not a one and done hunt. This will just be my first elk hunt and I would like to try and go out once a year. I’m from Pennsylvania and primarily hunt whitetail. My dad has the B.1 10x42’s. My thought was have a lighter set of binos for my chest then have my glassing off a tripod covered with 12’s or 15’s.

Seeing as how your primarily elk hunting a decent spotter would be what I’d opt for especially if your spike only hunting. A good pair of 8s and 10s are perfect for spotting elk seeing as how they are relatively easy to spot, which is why I’d go with the spotter so you can just confirm your looking at a spike. The higher power binos are awesome to have particularly the 15s but I’ve found they are more conducive to mule deer hunting.

Moserkr

WKR
Ive been hunting otc utah for the past 3 seasons and been in elk every year. Not once have I needed a spotter, and hardly used my 10x42 slc for glassing. The most useful tool seems to be an atv for all their 50” trails, but if you’re willing to walk a little extra then thats not absolutely necessary either. Not sure which part of utah you are hunting but thats been my experience so far. Work on your elk calling and shooting your bow as far as possible accurately.

I spike hunt every year in UT and I use 8x32 binos and a spotter. Everyone hunts differently but I would definitely try to add a spotter to your mix. Seeing elk at 2 miles isn't really that hard with 8x binos but determining if there is a spike in the herd at even a mile can be a real chore with binos and relatively easy with a spotter.

Run your 8x30s if you are bowhunting. Generally if there is a decent sized herd of elk there will be spikes around it. They run with the cow/calf herd most of the time. Find the herd, move in and find a spike.

If you are going on a a rifle hunt and plan to shoot at longer ranges, get a spotting scope to augment your binoculars.

Jo83ben

FNG
Does your dad have a spotter? In our group one guy has a spotter so I’m looking at adding some 15 or 18x56’s binos. Gives us maximum versatility and the ability to glass a larger area with higher magnification.

It seems on here people will argue get good 10x42’s or good high power binos or a good spotter (but all three camps seem to agree on a decent tripod being important to up your glassing game). That being said you’re already into some damn good glass with the SLCs. Best I would recommend is to get into some stores and ask to look through some different optics outside on a tripod. Sportsmans and cabelas will usually let you do that, not sure about gander mountain (do they still exist?).

What part of PA are ya from? I grew up in York. Never hunted until I moved out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be overkill for your hunt or hunts out west but I under went the following steps with my optics setup build. Took one step at a time as I saved up funds. I feel well-equipped for any hunt. Shopped around on forums for good used stuff.

1- Quality 8-10x Binos. I chose used 10x42 Swaro ELs
2- Quality tripod with adapter. I chose pro master with sirui va-5 head
3- Quality 15x binos, I chose used Swaro 15x56 SLCs with adapter
4- Quality spotting scope, I chose Meopta S2 82mm.

prm

WKR
I've used 8x30 Cls for a few years and not felt lacking. I am changing my strategy a bit for one particular area where I can glass a bit, so I picked up some 15s for use on a tripod.

OP
H
Thanks for the responses! Considering my dad does have a spotter I think I might just go with the 15’s. I think I’ll thank myself when I’m glassing for a few hours and am not trying to look through a spotting scope to do that. My dad has a decent enough spotter to be covered if we do find a herd and want to locate a spike. I am planning on hunting mule deer in the future too so I think the 15’s will be a better choice for that. Also, I could try a Maven optics doubler if I got the B’s.